Help! My new SLA Died.

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 12v 12amp SLA battery thatI brought about a month ago. When I first brought it, I gave it a full charge, & since then have olny used it for around 5mins in total. A few nights ago I remember using it for a few seconds & it was working just fine. Then today it died on me. :mecry:

There is practically no charge in it at all, I even connected the 2 terminals & they didnt even spark. I store the batt in my shed & Today was quit warm, around 33 degrees celsius. Could the hot weather effect my batt?

I Just want to know what would cause my Batt to cark it so quickly.

thx :)

Mel_PL

Newly Enlightened
I have a 12v 12amp SLA battery thatI brought about a month ago. When I first brought it, I gave it a full charge, & since then have olny used it for around 5mins in total. A few nights ago I remember using it for a few seconds & it was working just fine. Then today it died on me. :mecry:

There is practically no charge in it at all, I even connected the 2 terminals & they didnt even spark. I store the batt in my shed & Today was quit warm, around 33 degrees celsius. Could the hot weather effect my batt?

I Just want to know what would cause my Batt to cark it so quickly.

thx :)

First of all, don't short terminals of any battery. There are other ways to check if voltage is present.
According to batteryuniversity.com your battery, if not kept always fully charged, might get sulphated (esp. in high temperatures). There are special chargers, like ctek to salvage dead SLAs.

HTH

-- M.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes batteries just die for no apparent reason :poof:. It doesn't seem like you did anything wrong (apart from shorting it). SLA should hold charge for a lot longer than a month unless it didn't charge properly for some reason.

Illum

Flashaholic
temperature could be a concern....but I doubt thats the main reason

are there any gaps or bulges on the battery container?
did you leave it on a bare concrete floor?
got pics of the battery or charger?

I don't remember seeing a SLA having an expiration date though I know for certain they're rated on average 500 charge/recharge cycles

who did you buy the battery from do you remember?

Only once have I've seen SLAs die in a day or so....and that was at work where a UPS was left unattended and some kid thought it would be funny to plug the UPS into itself and leave it on:shakehead

Last edited:

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep the battery in very good condition, no marks or damage on it. And I store it on a woodern shelf in a dry area. Maybe its a faulty batt? or my cheap charger.

My batt is like this one, except diff brand:

This is my charger:

I gave it a full charge again today, seems to be working again. Ill have to wait & see if it holds charge.

mdocod

Flashaholic
I use a schumacker battery companion 1.5A 6V/12V "fully automatic charger/maintainer". It's basically a battery tender under a different brand. it's nice because you can leave it on the battery all the time. It will keep it topped up without overcharging like other chargers will.

Closet_Flashaholic

Enlightened
I use a schumacker battery companion 1.5A 6V/12V "fully automatic charger/maintainer". It's basically a battery tender under a different brand. it's nice because you can leave it on the battery all the time. It will keep it topped up without overcharging like other chargers will.

+1

I have had very good luck over the years using these exact models. Highly recommended for the "set it and forget it (until you need it)" crowd. I have had one on a battery for 3+ years and once a year I take it down to 60% capacity to make sure it's available when needed and let it charge back up. The battery is holding up very well.

Latest posts