Acebeam
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the SPY 007

Default Re: Introducing the SPY 007

Hello Dave,

this is the thread I waited so long for - you made my day!

I am in for a 007 paypal loaded, just let me know the total.

Jochen

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    Well Dave, finally he (she?) is here and what a beautiful entry to have made! Looks so much nicer than I had ever envisioned even after having seen the CAD displays! Ah yes, the "birth" of the new wave so to speak--am I getting too philosophical---nah!! No longer a "work in process" from the design perspective but a "work in reality" after such a long journey.

You have known my EDC to have been my trusty #0049 Natural anno SPY005 which may have to see retirement now that the 007 will be coming out---a tear of remorse about the retirement but never to languish as a shelf Queen, I now see the new 007 on my belt lighting the way.

Beautiful job, enjoy the elation of having been "The Creator"---remember Star Trek 1???

Well, in closing, never forget my interest rather pick the one which will be mine!

Karl

Very nice, Dave!
    How many 007 are going to be made? I mean is this some kind of limited edition? Thank you!
    Nuwai ALX-352L - Gladius - Q3 - Arc-AAA P v4 - Glo-Toob FX - Jil 1.3 Up - L1P - L0P - Petzl Myo XP - PT EOS - E1L - Orb RAW NS - Fire~Fly 3 - VG FB1 - P1 - L4 - P1D-CE - L5 - KL3 - KL5 - KL4 - L2D-CE - L0D-CE - P2D-CE - L6 - L1-Cree - EDC120P - NiteCore EX10 + D20-R2

Wow!

If there is a way to reserve one of these I am in. A gob smackingly awesome looking light.

It has been a while since I have been this excited about a light, I sold my Spy005 , but kept the AoTH holster in anticipation of the arrival of the Ti007, looks like it should fit too.

Can't wait, and look forward to following this thread to it's bright and shiny conclusion.

Thanks and congratulations Dave, you just hit a home run.
    Last edited by Hodsta; 12-15-2007 at 08:03 AM.
    Favs: TiPD-S's, Spy 007s

Great light,now the big save begins!!!
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have
    their shoes.

Smile Re: Introducing the SPY 007

Please sign me up for one

Absolutely STUNNING!

Dave, your design, workmanship and attention to detail is AMAZING.

It is also wonderful to see how much you seem to enjoy this and also sharing with us, all the details..........

THANK YOU,

Jeff

Flashaholic*

I'm in as soon as you're ready. Looks great!
    ::I don't always carry a flashlight, but when I do, I prefer Tri-V. Stay illuminated my friends::

Flashaholic

WOW!

Please count me in for one, thanks!

Flashaholic*

Love the new knob!

Frankly the rest looks ... err ... urmm ... overmachined.
    Light is the activity of what is transparent - Aristotle

Flashaholic*

Dave,

You've done it again..
    It's so hard to top the SPY05, but you have created another work of art.

Amorphous

Banned

GREAT NEWS i'm in for 1!!

Flashaholic*

Congrats Dave on putting together a beauty of a light. The machining is certainly impressive.

I wish I could say count me in for one, but I'm pretty sure it will be a little too rich for my blood. The 005 aluminum bodies with titanium head/knob were $550 & damascus were $850. For a full titanium body, I'd be surprised to see these priced much below the $1k mark.
    Last edited by ibcj; 12-15-2007 at 10:08 AM.

"haben ist besser als brauchen"

Brilliant design & engineering there Dave.
    When you have the Spy 007 Ti for sale I would love to purchase one from you.
    I look forward to all the other details to follow.
    Well done, Another Truly desirable creation.
    www.Lummi.co.uk
    Email (No Pm's) Please lummii@gmail.com

Dave,

A few Q's if I may...............

What size trit slots will be cut in the 007? There seems to be bit of a trit famine on the 1.5mmx5mm but hopefully B@rt will have sourced some by the release date.

Will these be offered in CREE and Seoul or have you developed a preference?

Have you thought of adding a small tool to the lanyard for depressing the battery cap pin? - that would be neat addition, especially in Ti!

Man - so excited about this one. You is genius!

Hodsta

Quote Originally Posted by Hodsta View Post
    Dave,

A few Q's if I may...............

What size trit slots will be cut in the 007? There seems to be bit of a trit famine on the 1.5mmx5mm but hopefully B@rt will have sourced some by the release date.

Will these be offered in CREE and Seoul or have you developed a preference?

Have you thought of adding a small tool to the lanyard for depressing the battery cap pin? - that would be neat addition, especially in Ti!

Man - so excited about this one. You is genius!

Hodsta
    There is not any room for making the trit slots bigger. I too hope B@rt can get more. I put trit in my SPYs too!

IMO, overall, the Cree and Seoul are equally great emitters each with their strong points. The Seoul reflector fits my original form better and so the first batch will be Seoul. I have not ruled out making a new head design for the Cree and the McR-16. I make no promises though because that would be a big investment in time. I am also considering working on a Rebel design in the near future.

The pin tool on the lanyard is a good idea. Some CPFers have put little things on there to push the pin like a small end from a plastic tie. I will give it some more thought, plastic is best because it can't scratch the light. I want it to be just the right size and go mostly unnoticed. However having said that a small plastic skull with a pointy chin would look cool too.

Cheers
    Dave

A Seoul in the first instance is good news, for me at least, as this is my preffered emitter in the Spy.

The pointy chinned skull is a wicked idea or a crow, with a suitably sized beak?

Cheers
    Hodsta
    Last edited by Hodsta; 12-15-2007 at 03:51 PM.

This is a smoking hot light !!!
    I am in awe.

One question about this rail ... is this a weapon mounting option or in any way compatible with weapon mouonting equipment? I am asking because such is forbidden in Germany under severe penalty.

bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiessling View Post
    I am in awe.

One question about this rail ... is this a weapon mounting option or in any way compatible with weapon mouonting equipment? I am asking because such is forbidden in Germany under severe penalty.

bernie
    I'm going to go out on a limb here, as I've never seen this Spy 007 prototype, but I have seen probably miles of 1913 Picatinny rail. It appears that the idea, purpose, and possibly proportions of the military standard rail system are being used here. Definitely not the size though, I'm just going to guess that the rail on this light is probably about 40% or less the size of the actual military standard rail.

Compatibility with actual weapon mountable parts isn't something I'd be too concerned with.

"When I was a little kid, was I ever lost in a cave or locked in a closet?" "What, the flashlight thing?" "Yea." "No, we don't get it either..." - Conversation with my brother

I had a very negative experience with those laws here, so I am concerned.
    Concerned that I can't buy this light

I am attracted.

bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiessling View Post
    I am in awe.

bernie
    AzGB is correct, this mount is NOT COMPATIBLE with any weapon mounting system. The 007 CAN NOT be mounted on any weapon of any kind. There is no issue with any weapon laws. Neither the mount nor the light itself are designed to withstand the G-forces involved in such a union.

Cheers
    Dave
    Last edited by Data; 12-15-2007 at 08:38 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Data View Post
    AzGB is correct, this mount is NOT COMPATIBLE with any weapon mounting system. The 007 CAN NOT be mounted on any weapon of any kind. There is no issue with any weapon laws.

Cheers
    Dave
    and I was hoping to mount this one on my Sig... to...see where I'm walking...

The very best of success in this 'Titanium' venture.

Looking very, very good.......
    David............................................. "A few of my Home Built lights"

The 007 rail concept is intended to hold the light to various fixtures and to hold accessories to the light. It is designed to blend into the bottom of the 007's lower radius so therefor it has a unique shape.

At this point I have only started compiling a list of uses for the attachment system. I will elaborate on the ones I have in the next few days. However, CPFers will probably come up with many more.

Three examples of practical uses are a bicycle handle-bar mount, a pocket clip and a multi-tool accessory. The first two being a fixture to hold the light and the third is an item adding functionality to the light.

The more I tossed this idea around, the more it snowballed into areas I did not initially consider.

Cheers
    Dave
    Last edited by Data; 12-15-2007 at 08:40 PM.

Stunning work Dave.
    The long wait for the 007 will be well worth it.
    I look forward to scoring one!!
    What are you people......on DOPE!?!

Looks good, more industrial than the 005, beauty! The rail is fantastic!

Hope you accidentally run some aluminum through that program.

Quote Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
    Looks good, more industrial than the 005, beauty! The rail is fantastic!

Hope you accidentally run some aluminum through that program.
    The 007 as you see it here can not be made in aluminum. It would require redesigning the light and the part program. I do not have plans at this time to make the 007 in any metal other than 6Al-4V titanium.

I do plan to make more aluminum SPYs when I can secure the time on my partners machine (my machines are currently all tied up with the 007). However, this will not be any time soon due to his and my schedules. Whether the next aluminum SPY is a 005 or a 009+ . . . only time will tell.

Cheers
    Dave
    Last edited by Data; 12-16-2007 at 12:12 AM.

I think there should be a 1/4-20 tripod mount for the rail. That feature of the original McLux was probably one of the factors that brought out my rampaging flashaholism.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    I think there should be a 1/4-20 tripod mount for the rail. That feature of the original McLux was probably one of the factors that brought out my rampaging flashaholism.
    Good idea paulr, that one is for sure!