2D Li-Ion Packs from Kaidomain?

Daekar

Enlightened
I haven't seen any information or conversation about these aside from a passing mention here or there, so I thought I'd post them here... apparently, Kai has been a very busy boy, as he now offers a 2D size li-ion pack with "Built-in over-discharge (2.75V) and over-charge (4.2V) per cell" and "Built-in balanced charging circuit".... see here:
http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=3985

He also offers the charger to go with it:
http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=3986

I remember reading in somebody else's post that C packs are to come...

So... has anybody pulled the trigger on one of these badboys? Even if the capacity is only 3500 instead of 5000, it would still a lot better for running my ROP-Hi than my current 6AA setup is. The discharge graphs look pretty good, too, nice and flat... I was surprised to see the 16 amp maximum load listed!

I'm looking for an excuse to build a new and improved ROP or 5761 mag, so hoping to hear good things!:D

EDIT: I noticed he has a thread on the MP too:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=172542

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm tempted to buy one.:thinking: I find it hard to believe that they've managed to integrate a balancing charger circuit into the design. Maybe someone could take one apart and do some testing.

I have a quad cree mag mod that would go well with these packs. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but it seems a bit like holding a stick of dynamite.

cat

Enlightened
It does look good for better runtime with a 5761 than 2 C cells.

I'd prefer to leave the balancing to a balancing charger.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but it seems a bit like holding a stick of dynamite.

:D I see Donn_ there asking about stacking 3 in a 6D. :devil: hehhehheh

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just taken the plunge and ordered one along with a charger. I've even cut down my M*g tailspring in anticipation.

I'm currently wearing the cut-off bit of spring on my finger like a ring and now it's stuck :ohgeez: the sharp end is digging into my finger. Oh the pain!!!

See, these Li-ion D cells are dangerous.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered one yesterday. I figured it would be perfect in my Mirage_man 2D HA-III Mag275. I have an AWR HD, but it was cutting off power when the output dropped to 6.5V Now I can disable that shutdown and go down to the cut-off of the pack.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I think they'll be OK for a 64275. There ain't no "F"ing WAY I'm gonna push these things to 15A.
Maybe I'll see about hooking up my Fluke 189 during a discharge cycle. I never have used the logging capabilities.

That would be interesting. My main concerns is people who don't yet know about Lithium Cobalt Ion cells using these and assuming they are perfectly safe and wonderful--with no reliable information about which chemistry he ended up using, what QC procedures are done to verify Li-Ion & PCB/component performance, safety, longevity, etc..

We both know there's Li-Ion protection circuits that have just enough (substandard) components to let someone promote the PTC, vs. PCB/components that are actually tested and verified for the PTC representations in this item.

Who has actually seen a quality company make a PTC and/or Lithium Ion (assuming it is Lithium Cobalt since that was referred to in an earlier thread, but without confirmation) that will work....and be safe at the "C" rates, and over reasonable lifetime that are represented in this product?

There are still so many things that are not known, nor listed about these cells. Generally, from a company with no QC track record, reputation, liability, and clearly copying many designs that other manufacturers and modders initiated (i.e. FiveMega)....I don't consider the missing details as a good or safe indication.

It's one thing if the experienced and knowledgeable members want to take on this risk. It's a whole other issue for the many new members using them--especially with the frequent "new member Lithium Cobalt guideline questions" we still see. They often grab the cheapest, not knowing any different...and especially if experienced members promote something like this.

Last edited: