CARPOOL questions for Californian

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the 10E freeway where it meet the 710. It stated that from 3-7pm, must have 3 people in the car to use it carpool lane... My question is, what if you drive a car that ONLY fits 2 (ex. Toyota MR-2.. Mazda Miata.. etc) can you still use carpool within that time frame?

-E

InTheDark

Enlightened
No. Doesn't mean you can't try, but that excuse isn't going to get you out of a very expensive ticket.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the 10E freeway where it meet the 710. It stated that from 3-7pm, must have 3 people in the car to use it carpool lane... My question is, what if you drive a car that ONLY fits 2 (ex. Toyota MR-2.. Mazda Miata.. etc) can you still use carpool within that time frame?

-E

usually the signs would say if 2-seaters are exempted. in the Bay Area, wherever the carpool lane is for 3+ people, there is always an exemption clause for 2-seat vehicles. If the sign doesn't say so then don't do it.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
For those that don't follow the link, the rule is that it's OK if your vehicle is at capacity. A two seater with both seats is OK in a 3 person HOV lane.

I hope the truckers don't tumble to the fact that a delivery van with one seat meets the test, as does a cement truck.

Daniel

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
<J/K> but the argument for that might be that a motorcycle can use an HOV-2 or HOV-3 lane with a single occupant even the motorcycle seat can accommodate a rider and a passenger :)

I hope the truckers don't tumble to the fact that a delivery van with one seat meets the test, as does a cement truck.

Daniel

Mednanu

Enlightened

That depends who specifically you are referencing when you say 'truckers'. I've forgotten the specific restrictions on Class B or 'bobtail' trucks, as I haven't driven one for some time now, but generally anything above 48,000 lbs ( ie - a Cement truck ) or a Class A commercial vehicle ( ie - a tractor + a semi-trailer ) are restricted solely to the right hand lane on three-lane highways, except for passing, which they are then allowed to use the #2 lane, 2nd from the right. If it is on a 4 lane highway, they are restricted to the right two lanes. There are a few exceptions to the rule when 4+ lanes are involved, but Class A commercial or something as heavy as a cement mixer are never allowed travel in the left hand lane ( the carpool lane ) under any conditions, unless directed to do so by a LEO.

Last edited:

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always wondered if a used ex-school bus could use the lane with only the driver (get one of those small van type buses and commute in that--probably would not get much worst mileage than the person driving an SUV with baby strapped in for day care at/near work)...

-Bill

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know exactly that section of the freeway that you're talking about, dealgrabber. I wondered the same thing myself when I was living in LA, since I drive a 2-seater. My question was answered when I saw a cop pull over a car similar to mine that only had 2 occupants during those darn hours!

And yes, I'm from the SF Bay Area originally, so I've seen those signs exempting 2-seater cars as well. It's always so strange going between NorCal and SoCal...like it's two different states sometimes!