Fenix P3D/Cree UV Mod (Pic Heavy)

eidolen

Newly Enlightened
This mod started by attempting to open a heavily glued P3D which was a battle I lost. I ended up bending the pill section of the light while trying to get a good enough grip to unscrew it from the head. It wasn't horrible but more than I could live with so I decided to scrap the pill section and used the remaining pieces to host a Cree UV emitter I had laying around.

The emitter was purchased from the sandwich shoppe and came pre-mounted to a wafer thin board designed for the Aleph series light I believe. I had already removed it from that board and mounted it to a thicker aluminum mini Cree board for a previous host that didn't turn out to my liking. The mini board was also purchased from the shoppe.

The converter I used was an inexpensive 350mah CC device I purchased from Kai Domain. I took one of the AMC7135 chips from a second board and added it giving the ability to run at 700mah. I couldn't use the stock Fenix converter due to it's design for 2 cells and it's low battery warning feature. I already like this light alot and will probably upgrade the electronics in the future to provide regulation and at least 2 modes. The design gives plenty of wiggle room so it shouldn't be hard to upgrade in the future.

The rest of the parts were just stuff I had laying around and a 1966 copper penny. I sanded down one side far enough to solder on a piece of brass tubing that served two functions. First it allowed me to chuck the penny in my drill for easier sanding and polishing, and gave more surface area to carry away the heat. Actually it served even further as a wiring channel and a guide pin to mate to the converter pill.

There are still a few things I'd like to do to improve on the design but I must say I am really happy with the results. Appearance wise I added a GITD switch cap and reflector O-ring and had already planned on polishing the head down to bare aluminum which was the original reason in disassembling the P3D in the first place. You can see in the pictures where I did a test sanding on the head to see how difficult it would be to remove the factory coating.

Well this is my first posted mod so please be gentle.

Lapped both the penny and emitter board
P3D-UVMod_01_8x6.jpg

Different views of the pill components
P3D-UVMod_12_8x6.jpg

The converter board and assembled pill designed to be same size as a CR123
P3D-UVMod_11_8x6.jpg

Grounding ring attached to pill, GITD O-Ring, another view of pill
P3D-UVMod_05_8x6.jpg

Some comparisons for size. 1D Mag host machined by Ledaen and my NovaTac 120P
P3D-UVMod_06_8x6.jpg

A beam shot at about 4 feet
P3D-UVMod_07_8x6.jpg

Well I got sidetracked before finishing this post and managed to finish the polishing of the head. I used the old P3D pill section to help chuck the head in my drill for polishing. The unexpected benefit of this was that the emitter which was generously epoxied to the pill broke free perfectly. What looks like a mylar washer around the emitter is actually epoxy.

Another modification I had to make was to sand down the protruding ring on the back of the reflector as well as the body of the light where it meets the reflector. Since I was not using the Fenix pill section, the body and the head would not mate without leaving a very large gap and only grabbing a few threads. By sanding the body tube down to the top of the threads and the back of the reflector flat, the two pieces were able to mate without the slightest gap.
P3D-UVMod_08_8x6.jpg

I think I'll swap tail caps with my P2D soon to match the GITD O-Ring.
P3D-UVMod_09_8x6.jpg

Action shot. =P
P3D-UVMod_10_8x6.jpg

Full Res Picture Gallery and Other Builds

Thanks for looking :grin2:
Eidolen

Last edited:

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice first post.
Great pics and write up, thanks for sharing.
I really like that Mag, would you mind telling us a bit about that too?

rhuck60

Newly Enlightened
Im very interested in the mods you made to the converter board. Can you post more details? What background or skills do you have to be able to do that type work? I have an idea for something I saw along those lines, but need somebody who can do that type mod/work. Are you interested?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any Pre-1982 penny will work, and some 1982 pennies. That's when they made the change to copper-clad zinc.

eidolen

Newly Enlightened
Nice first post.
Great pics and write up, thanks for sharing.
I really like that Mag, would you mind telling us a bit about that too?

Thanks for the kind words. The Mag is my first real mod and may turn into one of those projects that are never really done. I just got some glow powder and have some ideas I want to try which is why I haven't done a post on it yet. Hopefully I will get around to it soon but for now here are some quick specs and a couple pics for you.

Cut down to 1D Mag and grooved by Ledaen
1D to 4AA battery holder by ModaMag
3 Q5 Cree on a "Perfect Tri-Sink" from The Sandwich Shoppe
Nflex Converter from George at TaskLED
Stainless Steel "VL" Bezel by Kiu
4 Li-Ion Ultrafire 14500 AA batteries
Home-made GITD lanyard

TCM_00_8x6.jpg

TCM_01_8x6.jpg

TCM_04_8x6.jpg

TCM_03_8x6.jpg

Im very interested in the mods you made to the converter board. Can you post more details? What background or skills do you have to be able to do that type work? I have an idea for something I saw along those lines, but need somebody who can do that type mod/work. Are you interested?

Hi rhuch60,
The mod to the converter board was really no big deal at all. The AMC7135 chip used on those boards are an all in one solution. It is literally the only part on the board if you remove the reverse polarity diode and resistor. The chip is rated at 350ma and you can wire them in parallel to increase the current. If you look at the board closely you can see solder pads for up to four of those chips so if you fully populate the board you can get up to 1400ma current regulation. I just stole a chip from another board and soldered it where it would go if I had bought the 700ma version.

I would really like to find a place to buy just the chips but haven't been able to locate them yet. It makes much more sense to me to buy the 20 pack of the 350ma boards from Kai or DX and just populate the boards as needed for the project. Anyway, I wish I could say I did something special but I just soldered on a chip.

As far as my background I'm a freelance commercial A/V tech now but used to own my own custom mobile electronics shop. I've been messing around with tools and electronics for as long as I can remember. I think I've probably been a Flashaholic for a long time and just didn't know it until I stumbled on to this site last year. =P

I'd like to hear more about your project and if it's something that I'm capable of doing I might be interested. Shoot me a PM if you like and we can chat.

Cheers,
Eidolen

Last edited:

rhuck60

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the kind words. The Mag is my first real mod and may turn into one of those projects that are never really done. I just got some glow powder and have some ideas I want to try which is why I haven't done a post on it yet.

Hi rhuch60,
The mod to the converter board was really no big deal at all. The AMC7135 chip used on those boards are an all in one solution. It is literally the only part on the board if you remove the reverse polarity diode and resistor. The chip is rated at 350ma and you can wire them in parallel to increase the current. If you look at the board closely you can see solder pads for up to four of those chips so if you fully populate the board you can get up to 1400ma current regulation. I just stole a chip from another board and soldered it where it would go if I had bought the 700ma version.

I would really like to find a place to buy just the chips but haven't been able to locate them yet. It makes much more sense to me to buy the 20 pack of the 350ma boards from Kai or DX and just populate the boards as needed for the project. Anyway, I wish I could say I did something special but I just soldered on a chip.

As far as my background I'm a freelance commercial A/V tech now but used to own my own custom mobile electronics shop. I've been messing around with tools and electronics for as long as I can remember. I think I've probably been a Flashaholic for a long time and just didn't know it until I stumbled on to this site last year. =P

I'd like to hear more about your project and if it's something that I'm capable of doing I might be interested. Shoot me a PM if you like and we can chat.

Cheers,
Eidolen

Thanks for sharing the details of these excellent mods. I know the boards you mention. I think you can also buy them in 700mA and 1400 mA versions if that is a better value.

Perhaps you could find those chips at Mouser Electronics. Heres a link to their site: http://www.mouser.com/

I liked the Maglite mod quite a bit also, very well done. I will PM you shortly with my idea for a little project I would like to have done. I think it will be much easier for you than for me.

PM sent

Last edited: