Malkoff
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horus Titanium FD-1.3

Default Horus Titanium FD-1.3

I just received the Horus Titanium FD-1.3 from Scabel's Steven - Horus (TW office) Marketing Dept. at no charge.

Thanks Steven!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introductory Price for Titanium FD-1.3. Smoothy surface. USD 147.00, FREE shipping worldwide by Registration Air Mail from TAIWAN.

Shipping was fast, EMS. 2 days from Taiwan

Descrption from the Horus Titanium FD-1.3, CPFMP Thread

Made of Titanium.

Cree 7090 XR-E Q5 level WC bin LED.

Lens, High degree of hardness artificial sapphire lens plus double-sided nanometer waterproof processing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

3.6/3.7V RCR123A only.

I was sent this PM from Steven - Horus (TW office) Marketing Dep.

"Some info let you know.

Maybe our AW battery (black label, got it almost two years ago) is older so that can't turn the light on.

FD-1.3 has low voltage (3.2V) protection pattern and perfect to those unprotected RCR123A, Battery Stationís Protected RCR123A. So it doesnít work with primary CR123A.

We provide constant current output for optical circuit design. Maximum to 92%.
    Standard current : 700mAh to protect the LED module working conditions well.

Note :
    (1) This flashlight uses for the guarantee normal submarine illumination the switch for to the switch, the switch traveling schedule can slightly be bigger than the ordinary reversing switch, (the ordinary reversing switch shape existing agreement is 2~2.5mm, this to the switch traveling schedule is 3~3.5mm, thus causes in the switch process feel slightly to lose to the ordinary switch, but as a result of at present to the switch technical limit, the flashlight switch which this institute used already was smallest to the switch, moreover, in order to guarantee the flashlight the service life, this switch used is in the domestic various power plants the commonly used switch type, its product itself passed CE, CQC, Authentication, and in each power plant actual use, has better oral traditions.

(2) Horus launch handmade Knurling Series, pics in our thread.

Anyway, we find this problem, and work hard to solve this solution".

I was able to use an older AW Protected RCR123 blue color to work with the FD-1.3.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Five output modes, Medium-40%-170mins. Low-3%-27hrs. High-100%-45mins. Strobe , SOS. I don't think the FD-1.3 remembers the last setting. I could not gett he light to do so.

Circuit-Constant current output.

Protection, Reverse polarity protection built in and low voltage 3.2V, protection pattern.

Reflector Aluminum OP reflector.

Waterproof at least 40 meters all leaves the plant the flashlight to pass through the 1.14MPA hydraulic pressure test, guarantees you in the submarine 40 meter within use security. The FD1.3 edition may be called global first section relief flashlight as well as global smallest specialized diving flashlight, has organized member through international technical diving in Philippine diving base 100 meters submarine confirmations.

Customized Services. The first flashlight manufacturer that provides personalized artwork design service.

Warranty-10 years warranty for free repayment with lifelong guarantee. Except the LED and Lens.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I had to "play" around with the battery to make the light work. I found out not to tighten the bezel assembly too tight to the battery tube.

The switch is a soft click. On the hard side to press.

The UI reminds me of the Jet Beam CLE except I can't get the light to remember it's last setting.

The light feels slightly heavy.

Finish is excellent. I asked Steven to send me a light shiny with no etchings because I feel most would want the light this way.

I ran the light for a few minutes while doing some lux readings and beam shots. I didn't feel the light get hot.

I could not get the light to work with AW's Protected RCR123's Black, the newer style batteries. I just got 4 AW's Protected RCR123's Black about 2 weeks ago.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Inside view of the backside of the Cree Q5 Module.

Inside view of the battery tube, there is a springs located inside.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Size comparsions.

Left to Right, Horus Titanium FD-1.3, Jet-II Q5, Lumapower D-Mini, Fenix P1D CE, Hyperion.

Left to Right, Horus Titanium FD-1.3, Jet-II Q5, Lumapower D-Mini, Fenix P1D CE, Hyperion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I also took lux readings of the Horus Titanium FD-1.3. These are the lux readings I got. I am using a Meterman LM631 Light Meter measured at 1 meter. I waited 2 minutes before taking the readings. I am using AW's Protected RCR123 Rechargeable Batteries which were fully charged.

Horus Titanium FD-1.3, High - 1700 lux @ 1 meter

Horus Titanium FD-1.3, Medium - 940 lux @ 1 meter

Horus Titanium FD-1.3, Low - 90 lux @ 1 meter

Jet-II Q5 SMO RCR123 - 4070 lux @ 1 meter

Hyperion 1 RCR123 - 1240 lux @ 1 meter

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought a good match up would be the Horus Titanium FD-1.3 vs the Hyperion. Both use 1 RCR123 and have OP Reflectors.

Left, Horus Titanium FD-1.3. Right, Hyperion

Left, Horus Titanium FD-1.3. Right, Hyperion

Left, Horus Titanium FD-1.3. Right, Hyperion @ 90"

Left, Horus Titanium FD-1.3. Right, Hyperion @ 90" Stepped dowm exposure

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The next beam shot comparison is between the Horus Titanium FD-1.3 vs the Jet-II Q5. The Jet-II Q5 uses an SMO deeper Reflector which would be no match for the Horus Titanium FD-1.3 which uses a more shallower OP Reflector. The only two things in common is both use Cree Q5's and use one RCR123.

Horus Titanium FD-1.3 @ 90"

Jet -II Q5 @ 90"

Horus Titanium FD-1.3 @ 90" Stepped down exposure

Jet -II Q5 @ 90" Stepped down exposure

Left, Horus Titanium FD-1.3. Right, Jet -II Q5 @ 90"

Left, Horus Titanium FD-1.3. Right, Jet -II Q5 @ 90" Stepped down exposure

Default Re: Horus Titanium FD-1.3

Great review on an very interesting light. Better hide the review or AWTYD and EricMack will be trying to "borrow" yours!

I'd be interested in Horus' reply to the issue of not being able to fully tighten the head.

Thanks!
    A few favorite lights from: McGizmo, Data, milkyspit, HDS, and Surefire

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Great review on an very interesting light. Better hide the review or AWTYD and EricMack will be trying to "borrow" yours!

I'd be interested in Horus' reply to the issue of not being able to fully tighten the head.

Thanks!
    Thanks!

Steven - Horus (TW office) Marketing Dept. has said they are working on this issue.

Great review! Is the + nipple on the new black AW batteries wider or shorter then the old AW blue ones? Maybe the flashlights reverse polarity protection(black disk) is blocking the battery's + nipple from making contact. Merry Christmas
    Last edited by Steve L; 12-19-2007 at 05:54 PM.

Thanks for the review.
    IMO this light looks like DX/Kai quality with the exception of the Titanium. Do you agree? The "made in china" tailcap is pretty bad too.

Now those pictures are actually doing this light some justice!! Just change that weird tailcap and we have a seller, marketing dept. for Horus take note.... What do you think seems to be the problem with the batteries??

Great review. It looks like a nice light. any chance you could take some outdoor beanshots?

And i have to ask... does the light really have that "baby flesh lubrication feeling?"

I wish the rear clickie was a little more eaiser to push. Every once in awhile the rear clickie will not work. I think it's due to the battery size causing this. The switch does take some effort to push. I wish it was a little easier.

I wish the UI would let you go back to the setting you set last. I'm not sure if there is a way to do this.

I'm not sure what it mean't by that "baby flesh lubrication feeling". I do have another Ti light that has the same texture and it feels and the Horus Titanium FD-1.3 feels liitle easier to slide my fingers across the finish.

Maybe I can try some outdoor night beam shots tomorrow night. I am tired from doing 3 flashlight reviews today.

Thanks, three reviews in one day sounds like an awful lot of work. But it is most definitely appreciated

The manufacturer described the light as having a "baby flesh lubrication feeling." I'm not quite sure what it is either, but, i figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Nice job scoring a free light
    It seems kind of like I thought it would be... a DX light with a titanium body. Pity they use that terrible 5 mode driver. I'm not a fan of medium setting first, and definitely not a fan of scrolling thru strobe and SOS. Hopefully they will upgrade the UI in the future. I do have a lust for Titanium but for me function comes before form.
    I guess it is a smooth as a baby's butt reference toward the quality finish on the titanium. High quality machining or something, no machining marks etc. Is it like a bead blasted finish? Doesn't look shiny enough to be a high polish.
    Neutral white, it's the new black.

I got the newer AW's Protected RCR123 (Black) to work. I tried one of those small magnets on the positve contact. I don't like to use the magnet but I wanted to see if it would work.

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    Nice review Ernie, as always.

FYI for the other CPFers out there, Scabal is also sending me a Horus Titanium FD-1.3 to review and do runtimes on. My light should hopefully be here in the next few days.

I have a couple each of both the blue- and new black-label AW protected RCRs, and will test them all in this light. I also have magents to try if necessary (although I too don't like using them).

I also have both protected and unprotected Ultrafires on order, and they should also be here any day now. So I will be able to report on all these battery types.

Steven from Scabel recommend that I use a Unprotected Ultrafire RCR123 in the Horus Titanium FD-1.3, but I don't have any.

I just got this PM from Steven from Scabel. It's about the UI, remembering the last light level set.

Application methods : When presses down the switch for the first time, 40% grade lighten, closes once more, opens (3%), the closure, opens (100%) like this time circle; Continuously lightens in willfully a grade above for 5 seconds, remembered that, next time will lighten namely this pattern to open.

With Best Regards,
    Steven - Horus ( TW office ) Marketing Dep.

Quote Originally Posted by ernsanada View Post
    I just got this PM from Steven from Scabel. It's about the UI, remembering the last light level set.

Application methods : When presses down the switch for the first time, 40% grade lighten, closes once more, opens (3%), the closure, opens (100%) like this time circle; Continuously lightens in willfully a grade above for 5 seconds, remembered that, next time will lighten namely this pattern to open.

With Best Regards,
    Steven - Horus ( TW office ) Marketing Dep.
    After reading this, if you find the level you like just hold the switch down for 5 seconds. The light remembers the last setting but every once in awhile the light goes to the next level. I'm not sure why it's doing this.

The different levels are.

1. Medium, 40%
    2. Low, 3%
    3. High, 100%
    4. Strobe
    5. SOS

Hold down the button for 5 seconds after reaching the desired level, the light will turn on at that level.

Horus Titanium FD-1.3, RCR123 @ 32'

Different sized Rechargeable Lithium. Single Lithium.

Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, AW Protected 14500 @ 32'

Knurling Series

I also received this sample piece of Titanium.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPhoton View Post
    Doesn't look shiny enough to be a high polish.
    Hi PhantomPhoton,

The Titanium FD-1.3 raw material production comes from China's titanium city Ė Baoji. The raw material is exactly the same as what American Boeing and the French Concord production factory adopted.

No matter where and where you bought Horus Titanium flashlight products, we provide life guarantee as long as it is under normal usage condition. We can polish the surface for you and all you have to do is pay the delivery charge and no more.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post

Thanks!
    Hi Chronos,

It was because we didnít fasten tightly enough when disassembled the lamp holder, we apologize for this.

There might be difference in length between different battery supplier so one might found it is not always easy to tighten the bezel completely (disparity is probably half O ring ), but this certainly does not affect the waterproof ability of FD-1.3.

Please use a pincer to the two openings inside the head lamp holder and detach the, entire LED module, the lens and the lamp holder and rewind it tightenly, then the problem will be solved.

I just received the gift box the Horus Titanium FD-1.3 comes in.

The FD-1.3 also comes with a cleaning cloth.

Very nice!

Thanks Steven!
    Last edited by ernsanada; 01-13-2008 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Changed pics due to color off

What a cool little light! Thanks for the great review as always.
    "I only smile in the dark...my only comfort is the night gone black..."lyrics from Garbage

Flashaholic*

I want one with that knurling. Just beautiful!!
    Brass Dragonheart, JHanko D10 17 trits, 2C Flex Dragon w/Aleph 3 Milky MCE, Mac 4Rebel Aleph custom, Ti Gatlight, 3xP7 LZ Megalennium, TNC aspheric, MC-E Gotham w/optic, Extreme Micro, BB Haiku XP-G, Kuku Volere & D10, Drake, FM 26650 w/ copper VIDSM quad

The URL embossed on the tail switch boot is not valid... (http://www.edc-china.net).
    Lights in my rotation: Nitecore EA4 | Surefire U2 | Novatac EDC-120P | Olight M20 R5 | Fenix P3D-Q5, PD30. L0D-Q4 | Regal WT1 | Pila GL3/D26

Unenlightened

Great Review. I like the light.

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    The URL embossed on the tail switch boot is not valid... (http://www.edc-china.net).
    The first post in the Horus Titanium FD-1.3 Horus Titanium FD-1.3 Thread CPFMP says,

Our website www.edc-china.net will be started at the end of March, 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by ernsanada View Post
    The first post in the Horus Titanium FD-1.3 Horus Titanium FD-1.3 Thread CPFMP says,

Our website www.edc-china.net will be started at the end of March, 2008.
    I missed that... thanks. Still, if they already own the domain, they should put up a place holder web page so people know what is coming...
    Lights in my rotation: Nitecore EA4 | Surefire U2 | Novatac EDC-120P | Olight M20 R5 | Fenix P3D-Q5, PD30. L0D-Q4 | Regal WT1 | Pila GL3/D26

Flashaholic*

ensenada, any idea of the current drain on this light? That or a runtime graph are the only missing pieces of information, now....