• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

A Lanyard Collar for a Ti Mule...

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found an old spare Leef C/M Leefring in a box and had a thought- could this fit onto my McGizmo Ti Mule? I've fashioned all sorts of lanyards through the beltclip and around the PD body. Could I attach a lanyard with a clip?

Yes, the Leefring fit. It allows me to tighten the head completely- the high setting works. If I were to add a split ring (McGizmo has some awesome Ti rings and clips...) I'd have a nice lanyard ring on my 'mule.

Here's a link to the aluminum Leefring on Lighthound ($4.99 plus shipping): http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2363

Here are some shots of the ring and the light on high (this is a non-mizer light):

I'd think this would also work on the AMc Mules (PD lights), and likely the Sandwich Shoppe Mules too. No guarantees though, as I don't own either.

I hope this is helpful!:wave::whistle:

greenstuffs

Banned
I don't think you need a ring for that because you can use paracord and loop it through the hole in the clip very securely. Add some mini release quick buckles and you have a nice lanyard.
CIMG0638.jpg

Last edited:

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you need a ring for that because you can use paracord and loop it through the hole in the clip very securely. Add some mini release quick buckles and you have a nice lanyard.
CIMG0638.jpg
Nice lanyard! :)

Yep, been doing that for a long time with different paracord lanyards. I wanted to see if there was an option for another method of attaching lanyards, one that may be easy-on, easy-off. Not ideal, but it works. :tinfoil:

Now, if I could get a better fitting loop in Ti... ;):cool:

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try contating member Burman, he does rings in Ti for Novatacs . I bet if there is enough interest he could do a run..

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice, but wouldn't the lanyard which is at the front be troublesome when using the light? I am using mine with a lanyard something like greenstuffs

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice, but wouldn't the lanyard which is at the front be troublesome when using the light? I am using mine with a lanyard something like greenstuffs
I see your point, but it hasn't been. I usually press the piston for lighting with the Mule. It is rare that I run it for any real length of time unless I'm using it outdoors.

If the ring were Ti ( :) ) and smaller in outer diameter I'd be happier. But for a quick change lanyard loop, all for $5 and change, it isn't bad. To make it better I'll probably pick up a McGizmo Ti split ring. We'll see.

Your mileage may vary. :shrug::twothumbs

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Chronos,

Cool application! :thumbsup:

I think attachment points and means of carry are an important aspect which is often overlooked.

When PK was visiting, he got a Ti Mule PD from me and mentioned that he wanted a way to attach it to his key ring. After giving it some thought, I cam up with a simple if not elegant means of providing an attachment point. I used a urethane O-ring (#017) and small Ti split ring. I would guess that most of you have not messed with urethane O-rings but let me tell you, they are strong and elastic little buggers!!! :green: (At one point, I looked into using them for seals on flashlights but I felt that the silicone provided a better seal even though it would wear out over time.)

Anyway, I looped the o-ring over the Ti split ring:

LanyardRing-1.jpg

I then fed the big loop of the O-ring through the top hole of the pocket clip and out to one side of the clip. I then stretched the loop out and towards the front end of the battery tube and slipped it over the front end of the tube. The urethane can be stretched this much without permanent deformation. The O-ring snaped back snuggly around the tube under the clip:

LanyardRing-2.jpg

If you pull the split ring away from the light, the urethane stretches without any indication of breaking. Those of you familiar with urethane know it can be nicked and not necessarily tear along the nick. I believe the force required to break the O-ring would be sufficient that it would not be typically encountered and you would be aware of a problem and it happening. This simple solution can be used with a clip on the O-ring instead of a split ring and the loop would stay put on the head like you have done on your PD Mule. The split ring easily bends and articulates which is kind of handy. Obviously this O-ring and split ring assembly doesn't have to feed up through the hole in the clip and it could be oriented to the side or opposite the pocket clip. The elasticity of the urethane is pretty "tight" and the assembly stays in place unless you put a fair amount of force on it.

The more I play with these urethane O-rings, the more ideas I get and I suspect they could be a good "break away" or safety link in tethers. They can also provide a nice soft attach to tools so that you don't have metal on metal abrasion issues.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I need to pick up some urethane o-rings too. Interesting idea!

The Ti split rings are a must-have too.

I need to pick up a couple of coiled lanyards to attach to my life vest when sailing. Ti clips too, I assume. ;)

Anyone have recommendations on setups for McGizmos and hiking/climbing gear? I'd think a setup with a coiled lanyard and Ti clips, one to clip my pack, one to the light, may be handy. Hmmm.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Andy,
I sent a pair of Ti mules to Modamag for the diamond plating. One was bead blasted (the one in the pic) and the other provided with the stock machine finish. With the bead blasted, it's a nice flat and dull charcoal finish.

pianoman

Enlightened
The best collar/lanyard/neclace/holder/bracelet/whatever.....is the mcgizmo mini clip with the cetacea srunchy from berkley point.....IMHO...

greenLED

Flashaholic
That's a gorgeous finish on that Mule, Don.

I've made a few of these coil tethers for use specifically with Don's PD-sized lights:

greenledcoiltetherwloopgq2.jpg

:laughing: Funny how huge the PD-S looks vs a Mule.

...and the light clipped to a pocket and secured to a belt loop:

Last edited: