SF 6P LED or Fenix T1??

DigiDan

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I'm planning to buy myself a quality torch for work. I had pretty much already decided on a Surefire 6P LED. During my research I stumbled across this forum where I read very inspiring things about something called a Fenix T1 which I had never heard of before.

From what I can make out, the two torches are very similar in dimensions, and run off the same batteries - however, the T1 seems to have a much higher output, and also an adjustable output.
They both appear to fit my needs pretty well.

However, I like my gadgets to be the best (sad?) if you could choose just one of the above, what would it be and why??

Thanks

elt1

Newly Enlightened
My experience is with the SF 6P LED: quality light, better than decent runtime & I like the fact that you can modify it as you see fit (McClicky tailcap, leefgrip, etc).

Havent had any experience with the T1 but have heard its very bright.

I'd also suggest looking at the Fenix P3D Q5 (I added a tactical body to mine). I got one 1 week ago and it hasnt left my pocket since. More than a few CPF members EDC it...

pete55555

Newly Enlightened
I bought both. The T1 is going to be a Christmas present. It's nice to have the low setting on the T1 for a longer runtime and closeup work, but personally I prefer the 6PL. I have smaller 1 cell lights for the low power use. The person getting the T1 has no other lights so adjustable output is ideal for them. The T1 is a very solid well made light and the high setting is comparable to the 6PL output. As stated before, you can't beat SF for total dependability and ability to modify to suit your needs. Either light should serve you well depending on your needs.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another big advantage of the 6P LED is you can use a variety of SF or Lumens Factory lamp assemblies and have a great incan as well.

Mark

Daylo

Newly Enlightened
I had a T1 and sold it. It was really bright but that is all it had going for it. I own several Surefires and have given a few as gifts including a 6P. Go with the Surefire for the reasons stated above and the fact that it is just a better product with great warranty and customer service. The $$ from my T1 was used to buy a Malkoff M60 drop-in for my Surefires, something you can't do with the Fenix.

DigiDan

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys for your quick and helpful replies.

Yeah, the 6PL is definitely a nice light, and I think it's the one i'm going to get.
I'm in the UK, and if I get it shipped in from USA it is near enough the same price I would be paying for the T1. Only drawbacks are that I might get stung for import tax, and will have to wait a little longer.

What sort of a difference would adding one of these make?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Q5-CREE-BULB-...yZ117110QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

While i'm here, does anyone have any input on rechargeable Li-Ion batteries? I see various different types of the CR123's available.
They seem to come in 3.0V 3.6V or 3.7V flavors and also have another rating which i've seen range from 600 mAh to about 1000 mAh.

What would best suit the 6PL?

meuge

Enlightened
The T1 is a very solid well made light and the high setting is comparable to the 6PL output.

You know, there are quite a few people on the board who love their Surefires, and prefer them to the T1. However, you're the first one who says that the 6PL is comparable to the T1 in terms of sheer output.

wishywashy7

Enlightened
Have to say but I don't believe that the 6PL is anywhere as bright as the T1 in the output stakes.

amen to that. in the lumens department there is simply no contest between the T1 on turbo and 6P LED.

If you are going to use it for serious work, I would suggest the surefire. I have not beaten my T1 enough to ABSOLUTELY guarantee reliability for the long term, but it seems to be holding up very well so far...

You really can't go very wrong with either one...

If you can, classic CPF answer: just buy both :D

Saiga

Enlightened
I have both ( OK,i recently sold my 6PL to my brother to finance a L1). I have no complaints with either. The pros and cons of them IMO : Surefire has the better warranty,it's lighter & smaller. The T1 has the better finish,higher output/throw and very practical low mode. I'd say, unless you're after big time throw (which is exactly why i got mine) then the surefire's the slightly better choice of the two.

davidra

Enlightened
I've got both. I don't consider them very similar at all. The 6PL is a typical type 2 finish, easy to carry, and other than a testy clicky at times (I promptly put a clickie on, which is always dicey given SF's history with clickies), is pretty bright. The T1 could be used to hammer a nail into a board, it weighs much more than the 6PL and comes with a sturdy clip and is approximately twice as bright to my eyes. It has HA III anodizing and is IPX8 tested as waterproof. You can't change clickys, bezels, light machines or anything else on the T1, but if I were stranded on an island in the dark in rain, I believe I'd go with the T1. If I were working indoors and had a nice holster, the 6PL would be fine. I love SF's, but the 6P and 9P don't have the survivability of the HAIII Surefires...IMHO.

Last edited:

chakrawal

Enlightened
amen to that. in the lumens department there is simply no contest between the T1 on turbo and 6P LED.

If you are going to use it for serious work, I would suggest the surefire. I have not beaten my T1 enough to ABSOLUTELY guarantee reliability for the long term, but it seems to be holding up very well so far...

You really can't go very wrong with either one...

If you can, classic CPF answer: just buy both :D
+1:twothumbs

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,

I'm planning to buy myself a quality torch for work. I had pretty much already decided on a Surefire 6P LED. During my research I stumbled across this forum where I read very inspiring things about something called a Fenix T1 which I had never heard of before.

From what I can make out, the two torches are very similar in dimensions, and run off the same batteries - however, the T1 seems to have a much higher output, and also an adjustable output.
They both appear to fit my needs pretty well.

However, I like my gadgets to be the best (sad?) if you could choose just one of the above, what would it be and why??

Thanks

I have both.

You are comparing Apples and Oranges.

The FENIX T1 is a very bright light meant for tactical use. It has two light output levels, high and low. The high will suck batteries dry in less than 2 hours. The low will run the light for about 10 hours on a single set of batteries. Think of it as a search and rescue light but in a small package.

The 6PL is more a general purpose light with long runtimes (11 hours on a single set of batteries) and less light output and only a single light ouput level. Think of this a very high quality everyday use/in the garage/camping light.

The FENIX T1 will have a big "WOW!!!" factor as the light it produces is insanely bright.

The 6PL is more of an "Oh, nice bright flashlight".

Both though are about as heavy and as big as each other.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The T1 is a very solid well made light and the high setting is comparable to the 6PL output.

I disagree as I have both lights and I can see for myself.

The "high" setting of the T1 is waaaay brighter than the 6PL.

The "low" setting of the T1 is less bright than the 6PL.

DigiDan

Newly Enlightened
So, would a 6PL with an additional BOG Q5 drop in produce an output more comparable to that of the T1?

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, would a 6PL with an additional BOG Q5 drop in produce an output more comparable to that of the T1?

I would like to know. I do not have the BOG Q5 drop in to compare at the moment. Looks like my next purchase!

BigD64

Enlightened
I have both, the T1 is great but I prefer the G2L for overall use. The Thermal issues with the G2L have been dealt with with the addition of a metal bezel. The upgrades are more plentiful for the 6 series also. You can't go wrong with a Surefire. The Fenix blasts the light out the front and is a great light too. I agree buy them both.

davidra

Enlightened
No....but I'd for sure rather have a C2 or D2 with a Malkoff Q5 than a 6PL. You did say you wanted the best, right?

Last edited: