real quick but very important question

shroomy

Newly Enlightened
I recently ordered my first pack of cr123a batteries from surefire. The box that they shipped them in reads "Primary Lithium Batteries, not for transport on passenger aircraft."

I'm leaving for my flight in less than an hour and so the million dollar question is..... Yep, you guessed it. Am I really not allowed to bring these batteries onboard?

Thanks.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
correction, there is no TSA restriction for passenger lithium batteries

Recent Developments
On August 9, 2007, the U.S. Department of Transportation's (DOT) Pipeline and Hazardous Material Safety Administration (PHMSA) issued formal regulations that allow passengers to bring laptops, mobile phones, and cameras powered by lithium batteries aboard aircraft. Spare lithium-ion batteries are also permitted in carry-on luggage under the regulations, but PHMSA recommended that these batteries either be placed in plastic bags or that other steps be taken to prevent inadvertent shorting. The new rules prohibit spare lithium-ion batteries in checked baggage. FAA enforces this rule and can levy fines against passengers failing to comply. The PHMSA provisions are consistent with international regulations.
Transportation Department officials have long emphasized that safety issues are paramount, but they also recognize that passengers—including business travelers—want to bring spare batteries and battery-powered equipment aboard aircraft. PRBA welcomed the final rule that addressed the key safety concerns of the industry and the public.
The Department of Transportation's Safety Advisory
In late March 2007, DOT issued a safety advisory urging air travelers flying with lithium-ion batteries and laptops, cell phones, Blackberries and other portable electronic devices should take precautions to reduce the risk of an incident on aircraft. DOT urged airline passengers to follow several simple precautions in packing and handling both batteries and battery-powered equipment. PRBA strongly supports the DOT safety advisory and urges travelers—including business travelers—to embrace these DOT safety recommendations:

• Keep spare batteries in their original retail packaging.
  • Keep loose batteries covered with insulating tape to protect them against contact with any metal objects.
  • Place each battery in its own protective case and pack spare batteries only in carry-on baggage.
  • Use only chargers designed for that battery.
  • Purchase batteries only from a reputable source.
  • Do not bring damaged or recalled batteries aboard the aircraft.
For more safety information, go to the DOT website: http://safetravel.dot.gov/.
Wide circulation of the DOT advisory is advisable and recommended. PRBA also endorses additional safety initiatives, such as signage in airport terminals reminding passengers of the necessary precautions that would help reduce the chance of any battery-related incident on the aircraft.
Conclusion
PRBA is heartened by recent DOT pronouncements concluding that if passengers take the proper precautions, it is safe to fly with batteries and the battery-powered products so necessary to business travelers. Lithium-ion battery technology is safe. The majority of lithium-ion cells are manufactured by reputable manufacturers that invest significantly to ensure their products meet the highest safety standards.

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
sure but no quick answer :)

http://safetravel.dot.gov/index_batteries.html

If you're planning a trip, bring your laptop computer, cell phone, camera, personal digital assistant, or other battery-powered device along. These items are safe to fly with!
Batteries pose little risk contained in the devices they power. Taking the battery out of the device does not enhance safety. To be safest, carry the device with you, not in your checked baggage. Do not remove the battery!
Carry your battery-powered devices or spare batteries in your carry-on baggage. In the passenger compartment, flight crews can better monitor safety conditions to prevent an incident, and can access fire extinguishers, if an incident does happen.
Finally, if you must carry a battery-powered device in your checked baggage, package it to prevent inadvertent activation. Cordless power tools, for instance, should be packed in a protective case, with a trigger lock engaged.
Many travelers like the convenience of readily available spare batteries. It's safe to travel with spare batteries, as long as you follow these simple spare battery tips http://safetravel.dot.gov/tips.html

prohibited items list TSA
http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/Prohibited%20and%20Permitted%20Items_printerfriendly_3-16-07.pdf

i see no TSA restriction
so todays assessment for the above data is carry it where you can tell if anything is going wrong, dont put it in your cargo hold baggage.
UPS ground shipping would be best, then take a few spares, the regulations of all sorts are carried out by HUMANS at the location, you could end up donating a case to the TSA, if some person thought that it was a "shipment" of batteries and not a few "spares"

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
2008, data

http://www.i3a.org/virtual/eye_on_imaging_v4_n5.html
Cargo Shipments of Certain Types of Lithium Batteries Will Be Banned From Passenger Aircraft

image_4.gif

Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) has banned cargo shipments of certain types of lithium batteries from passenger aircraft. Airline passengers can still carry or use personal devices containing lithium batteries while aboard aircraft. However, the new ruling, which goes into effect on January 1, 2008, tightens standards

---------------------

for Years now, you already could not ship over a certian grams in weight of lithium in batteries primary or rechargable via Passenger air shipment/cargo methods, or via USPS mail methods. that is why UPSground and fed-ex is used.

---------------------

and finnaly the WHOLE story and actual regs data
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2007/E7-15213.htm

Last edited:

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you can not carry "spare" batteries in your checked luggage, only in carry-on. So we need "spare battery carriers" that are also flashlights that we can carry "spare batteries" in. These flashlights do not need to be designed for lots of light output, merely enough to show that it is a working flashlight (simple LED/resistor/switch).

What a mess.

-- Alan

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you can not carry "spare" batteries in your checked luggage, only in carry-on. So we need "spare battery carriers" that are also flashlights that we can carry "spare batteries" in. These flashlights do not need to be designed for lots of light output, merely enough to show that it is a working flashlight (simple LED/resistor/switch).

What a mess.

-- Alan

i did not read anywhere (yet) where it said Can NOT in check in luggage , its the goverments suggestion.
and i concur with it highly, untill they can get ONE person to hang out in the cargo hold :) like any of the rest of us would do if we had 237lives and 2mill worth of cargo on the line :sigh:

i doubt that any of us would want to be responcible for a cargo hold issue , and you KNOW how they treat your luggage that your not connected to, its not pretty, stuff busts open, they toss things on conveyers, the machinery tosses things about and spews them out. that is probably why MANY of the lithium vent incidents are in cargo Handling , not actually when in the sky itself.

Last edited:

shroomy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a whole lot VidPro, I put my spares in my carry-on and no incident whatsoever occurred. I'm really grateful you took the time to look that information up for me.