Spec me a cheap 1xAA torch for < $20 from DX

tr098a

Newly Enlightened
I bought a small 1W AA torch, that didn't last very long so i'm looking for another, not-so-cheap torch that will last a bit longer. I want to spend between $10-20, and ideally it should be 1xAA.

I've read some threads, and looked on DX, and the UltraFire C3 Cree caught my eye, along with the Romisen MXDL RC-G2 and the MTE 1xAA SSC-P4 42180-U

Is there much difference between the MTE and the C3? People seem to say the C3 has better build quality, is that true?

Has anyone had experience with all 3?

Also, the extension tube, is that just to add extra capacity? or does it make the torch brighter too?

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have the Romisen and MTE, but do recall people mentioning that the C3 tube only adds runtime and not brightness.

Please note that a few recent buyers have noted the C3 build quality seems to have dropped a little compared to the past. It was well regarded as one of the nicest-built DX lights, so I'm sure it's still acceptable considering the price. It's nice having an AA and 2xAA tube for the price.

Now between the MTE Seoul and the Romisen RC-G2, both are different lights. The Romisen has a bigger reflector and more pronounced hotspot in the beam, so it's better for minor* throw tasks. The MTE has a much wider hotspot and it's great for walking, or indoors. The MTE is also much, much brighter. *The Romisen doesn't use one of the brighter Cree emitters. It's probably my dimmest Cree light.

If brightness is of concern, I'd go for the MTE. Runtime+brightness probably goes to the C3.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Have MTE sku 1995. Modded it to twist head as the clickie was flaky. It is indeed pretty darn bright with lots of spill.

Have inbound two SAIK RC-A3 sku 5332 and 5346 1AA lights and a 3609 RC-G2 1AA coming so no report yet.

At Target stores at $22.95 is a River Rock (actually Nuwai) 1AA 1W that ain't shabby.

Taylormade

Newly Enlightened
I second the SKU 1995. I have two, and they are both solid, bright little lights for the price. The only gripe I had with them was that as shipped, the head contacts were very dirty and needed some marginal cleaning to get a good circuit going.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second the SKU 1995. I have two, and they are both solid, bright little lights for the price. The only gripe I had with them was that as shipped, the head contacts were very dirty and needed some marginal cleaning to get a good circuit going.

I have three of them. After a swabbing of the head with an alcohol-wet q-tip, all are great lights. Would buy again.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at the MTE 5-mode rebel. Just got one and it's great. Beam isn't the purest I've ever seen, but it works fine.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 of the SAIK RC-A3 5346 lights and they are about 60 to 70 lumen output, clean beam, build is fairly solid, and 1 hour runtime.
I also like the XJC-B6 light with 2 modes. It has a broader spot and better spill. It's not quite as bright, but darn close at 60 to 65 lumens with 2 hour runtime on high. They both work very well with Sanyo Eneloops. I bought mine from Kaidomain since the XJC-B6 is a little cheaper. http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=3956

Have MTE sku 1995. Modded it to twist head as the clickie was flaky. It is indeed pretty darn bright with lots of spill.

Have inbound two SAIK RC-A3 sku 5332 and 5346 1AA lights and a 3609 RC-G2 1AA coming so no report yet.

At Target stores at $22.95 is a River Rock (actually Nuwai) 1AA 1W that ain't shabby.

Last edited:

richdsu

Newly Enlightened
do not buy new stock Ultrafire C3, recent new stocks have a lot of quality issues.:sssh:

MTE 5-mode 100 lumens Rebel Flashlight ( DX SKU 6162 )--- you should try this out, much brighter than Saik RC-A3, very good quality than previous MTE models.

tr098a

Newly Enlightened
do not buy new stock Ultrafire C3, recent new stocks have a lot of quality issues.:sssh:

MTE 5-mode 100 lumens Rebel Flashlight ( DX SKU 6162 )--- you should try this out, much brighter than Saik RC-A3, very good quality than previous MTE models.

Thanks for the heads-up, that removes the C3 from my list of choices.
But now i have added 2 more lol :nana:

Whats the deal with the 5 modes? how do you change mode?

PlayboyJoeShmoe - i will be interested to hear your experiences with the 5346, 3609, and your current 1995 when you receive them.

I'm leaning towards the 1995 at the moment. :thumbsup:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1. It's the one I was talking about before. I'm quite happy with it. I'm almost sorry to give it out as a present as soon as I get the Nitecore :p

Whats the deal with the 5 modes? how do you change mode?
You might not need full power all the time (as you get with the 1995). The modes allow you to only have as much power as you need while preserving the battery.
Too bad you also get the pretty useless strobe mode, and the completely useless SOS mode. At least the light has memory...

gtsx

Newly Enlightened
I have the XJC-B6 light with 2 modes. It's close to a C-3 in brightness and the low mode is most useful.

Ogg Vorbis

Newly Enlightened
Look at the MTE 5-mode rebel. Just got one and it's great. Beam isn't the purest I've ever seen, but it works fine.

+1 mine arrived the other day, really good value. Can't knock the quality for the price. Just takes some getting used to for the memory function. It's nearly as bright as my P2D Rb100 head on a L1D body. Tint is a little blue though, and the hot spot isn't the best, cause of the smooth reflector.

Thinking of getting a couple more for gifts. Worth every penny :twothumbs

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I already have the 1995 tr098a.

I found that the clickie was flaky, and wouldn't always turn on. I broke the head loose from the body, cleaned up and lubed the threads, made an aluminum foil ground path and now have a twist head MTE.

As an aside, I believe it to be brighter this way than it was as a clickie.

I actually like it a LOT this way, and would recommend it if your are leaning that way.

I will certainly post my impressions of the SAIK and Romisen lights and of the 4068 P60 size SSC 42180-U drop in!

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 mine arrived the other day, really good value. Can't knock the quality for the price. Just takes some getting used to for the memory function. It's nearly as bright as my P2D Rb100 head on a L1D body. Tint is a little blue though, and the hot spot isn't the best, cause of the smooth reflector.

My beam is a bit on the greenish side. Wish it was bluish as I like that shade more, but oh well.
The beam shape is a bit odd as well, but you don't notice it when you're actually using the light (as opposed to shining it on the wall).

tr098a

Newly Enlightened
After reading some people's comments about DX, i am having second thoughts about ordering from them. I don't really want to wait a month, or have lots of hassle.
Where else sells equivalent torches? I don't mind paying a little extra if it's going to be quicker. Gotta be somewhere that ships to the UK.:anyone: