So which are the best lights sold at Target?

Raven

Enlightened
Inova is probably target's best available brand, correct?

Thanks

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The River Rocks. The K2 headlight is pretty good. Proven tough enough to survive in a regular rocky/muddy/dusty cave and proven to be waterproof in a water cave.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I'm quite happy with the River Rock 1AA 1W, 2AA 3W and .5W headlamp. I'm not at all displeased with the .5W 2AAA of which I have two.

I crave the Inova X0 w/ reflector and would happily trade my Tiros X0 for one!

Skibane

Enlightened
If you're looking for sheer value, the River Rock 0.5 watt 2 AAA-cell model is almost impossible to beat - Nicely built, very compact, decent run-time, doesn't require exotic batteries...all for under 10 bucks (including batteries).

At that price, you could probably afford to also include a 4-pack of NiMH AAA cells and a cheap charger.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Overall probably the Inova... unless there is something you specifically don't like about them.

For the $$$ the Nuwai River Rocks are hard to beat, if you like a high-ish lux (tight/defined beam), "standard" cells, long Nichia run-time and water resistance. The'yre relatively cheap too. I have never really enjoyed lights that flood too much, so for me they are perfect.

*edit* See warnings from other members below. These lights have a sharp-tight defined beam pattern, that does not spill. You literally have to... point it at whatever you want to look at, a kind of tunnel-vision mentality while using them. That may or may not appeal.

dscn9683fs0.jpg

dscn9680qp9.jpg

dscn9679on0.jpg

dscn9678zy0.jpg

The Cree-version Lowes task torch looks like a nice high-lux thrower for the $$$. Too bad I can't get one in my area.

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Be aware, the lights pictured above throw a sharply defined spot with basically NO spill.

If that floats your boat great.

I prefer a more traditonal beam myself. Which is but one reason why I want an X0 reflector!!!

Incidently the X0 sold at Target these days IS the reflector model.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't most of the Inova's use CR123? You aren't going to want to buy those at target. Which brings you to online purchasing, where another world of LED's awaits.

Darkpower

Newly Enlightened
Be aware, the lights pictured above throw a sharply defined spot with basically NO spill.

If that floats your boat great.

I prefer a more traditonal beam myself. Which is but one reason why I want an X0 reflector!!!

Incidently the X0 sold at Target these days IS the reflector model.
I agree with you the beam of that 2 'C' cell River Rock flashlight is funky. Useful for medium range, but beyond 25 yards, that beam is way too faint and for indoor lighting its too narrow.

Anyhow my favorite Target flashlight is the 6 AAA cell Dorcy allegedly 6 watts with the K2 Luxeon, and the Brinkman 3 watt. I like those with the AAA battery carriers because it really allows for so much versatility in picking batteries from NiMh, alkalines or Lithium AAA.

I have to stop going to Targets because I'm always drawn to their flashlight aisle like a gnat to a bulb and I always end up buying something.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Inova, definitely. (Just wish target would sell the T-series instead of only the X-series).

A handful of individual models are worth getting too.

1 - River Rock 1AA model (The one that looks like a Fenix clone with a pocket clip).

2- River Rock 2AAA model (Far better than a 2AAA Mini-mag. Small enough to do duty as a penlight. But very bright for that class of light. I own two. And gave one to my dad last year. He loves it).

3 - Brinkmann Maxfire LX (A lower cost version of the SF G2, in terms of performance).

4 - Energizer 2AA and 2D models (Excellent, low cost, inca lights that can be used as loaners. Not bad at all, for the price).

5 - Energizer small Folding lantern (Nice, portable light that comes in handy during a blackout).

Last edited:

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the River Rock 2AAA. They seemed great until I got the Fenix L0D-CE. The tiny Fenix blew them away in brightness and size. I never cared for the purplelish light from the RR's. Still good, cheap lights for about $10

I bought the Dorcy Super 1 watt. Great little light for the money, but I ebayed it after getting the Fenix last spring. I think Target still sells this light. I had it for 6 months or so. It was my favorite then and I still recommend it if you want a small light for under $20

I had the 4 AA River Rock lantern, but the 3AA looks better. Can anyone compare? Still, I may hold out until a Cree XR-E or a Rebel shows up in it.

Target did a great job being one of the first major retailers to bring in LED flashlights. Now, they need to get some in there with high efficeincy Crees or Rebels don't ya think? Now that I have 3 lights with Cree XR-E LEDs, they no longer have anything I need.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Target did a great job being one of the first major retailers to bring in LED flashlights. Now, they need to get some in there with high efficeincy Crees or Rebels don't ya think? Now that I have 3 lights with Cree XR-E LEDs, they no longer have anything I need.

I used to shop at Target all the time. But I got nearly every light worth getting at Target. For roughly the same amount of money, you can easily get brighter lights online.... even if all you get are Fenix models.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Energizer has a side clickie 2AA 1W that isn't by any means horrible.

I was just sitting here comparing the beam to many of my other 2AA lights, and it has a brighter more focused hotspot than stuff like two NiteIze 1W, EL XM3, Inova Bolt 2AA and even Sams 3AAA 1W light.

It has a fairly deep approx 24MM reflector, the head is 1 1/4" the body about 3/4" and the length right at 7". It has a reverse clickie with a firm audible click.

I keep it close at hand at the 'puter all wrapped up with Sport Tape.

DaveG

Enlightened
Energizer has a side clickie 2AA 1W that isn't by any means horrible.

I was just sitting here comparing the beam to many of my other 2AA lights, and it has a brighter more focused hotspot than stuff like two NiteIze 1W, EL XM3, Inova Bolt 2AA and even Sams 3AAA 1W light.

It has a fairly deep approx 24MM reflector, the head is 1 1/4" the body about 3/4" and the length right at 7". It has a reverse clickie with a firm audible click.

I keep it close at hand at the 'puter all wrapped up with Sport Tape.
Have to agree,I have one also and was quite happy with with it.Think this is a good one in the cheap to buy and run dept.