Coleman "Kid's" Lantern With Remote (5310-710K )

Bmccue1964

Newly Enlightened
Coleman \"Kid\'s\" Lantern With Remote (5310-710K )

Has anyone had experience with this light? It looks pretty good and only costs $10.00 from Coleman.Com.

Worse case, I'll butcher the remote for another light!

Model No. 5310-710K Remote Control Lantern Remote control and manual operation
Auto/Shut-off saves batteries (shuts off after approximately 60 minutes when in the remote control mode)
Remote control transmitter can be clipped onto the handle
Four D-Cell battery powered
Dial switch for manual operation
Cool to the touch; does not get hot - perfect for kids
Simple to operate and maintain
Weather-resistant and floats
Patent Pending
$10.00

[image]http://www.coleman.com/coleman/c4k2k/frame.asp?page_id=1012[/image]

Empath

Flashaholic
Re: Coleman \"Kid\'s\" Lantern With Remote (5310-710K )

That one's a tricky link, Brian.

5310-710K_500.jpg

Image courtesy of Coleman®. Visit their site at http://www.coleman.com

Bmccue1964

Newly Enlightened
Re: Coleman

I bought it - $14.95 w/shipping from www.coleman.com.

I have a Coleman lantern/clock combo which uses a incadescent PR type bulb. Also runs on 6 volts. If I don't like this light, I'll remove the "guts" and modify my lantern/clock combo. I've already added a high brightness red LED w/switch on the light for night use. I also use renewals 4xD in the light.

Since my wife likes to read in bed when we camp, this is a great light. The addition of the LED also make a very nice night-light which will probably run for a month or more!

Bmccue1964

Newly Enlightened
Re: Coleman - UPDATE

I received the light. Functions great, kids love it. Remote works from over 100 feet away! Remote is designed so that the push button has a cover which slides over it to prevent inadvertent activation. Light output is good too.
Solid, weather resistant construction. Easy to use controls.

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!

Hey Brian, What type of lamp is it. Is it a PR based bulb or a fluorescent? I like James' suggestion as I have two Everleds and will be getting more once they are all caught up with fulfillment issues. This would work great with one if it is indeed a PR (flange) based incan.

Ed.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

wow. 10 bucks! The remote circuit is worth that alone! Not a bad lantern either, it even floats! haha.

How big is the receiver circuitry? Anyone look inside yet? Wonder if it will fit into a D sized maag light.

Saaby

Flashaholic

Be WARNED!

I have a Coleman Remote Tent light that probably uses a remote circuit similar to this one. I converted to LED and now the remote isn't 100% reliable. You can always turn on via remote but not always off. If you do try and turn it off, but then give up, it may turn off by itself 20 or 30 seconds later.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

is it because there needs to be more draw on the circiut? it may have a large capacitor or something... would it switch a 5w luxeon or need to use a power transistor to switch the lux? how many watts does that bulb pull?

and also: How big is the receiver circuitry? Wonder if it will fit into a D sized maag light

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just got the 2 I ordered from Coleman today & am very impressed with the quality construction for the price. They are plastic, but a very strudy material, not the cheap, lightweight stuff you'd expect on $10 lamp with a remote. The bulb holding device is one that requires a notch in the flange to be able to insert it, so the EverLED won't work unless you can change this. The other problem is that the center post is - . It looks like you can take out the plate at the top of the batteries & probably reverse some wires to fix this. But even as it is, with the standard lamp, it looks like it will be a very handy lantern. It comes with a .75a bulb, but I took it out & put in a .5 amp. Still plenty of light, & should run longer. I currently have 3 of the 9000ma D batteries from CCrane. I'll probably break down & get 1 more. Once I hang a glow-ring on the remote, I'll be set.
PS
The remote doesn't require line-of-sight to the lantern, at least not inside. You can point it in any direction, even at a cloth surface, & it works. Outside at a distance, you may need to point it at the lantern. I even went down the hall & into the far bedroom (60') & it works.

Elnath

Newly Enlightened

I didn't have any problems getting an everled into mine.... That's how I found out the PR holder is reverse polarity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! be careful if you are going to try this, everled's are rather expensive polarity indicators.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just received mine in the mail yesterday. Coleman has them back up on their site for $10.00 again. These things are SUPER for only $10.00! I had to justify the, (reasonable), shipping cost so I bought two!

I had fun scaring my wife last night by secretly using the remote to turn it on. They are a nice handy size and work on 4 D cells as opposed to the 8 cells of the other lights which to me is WAY too many cells. The light output is fine especially when using it outside when it's dark.

As txwest said, the remote works from very FAR away and doesn't need to be pointed at the light to work. I put it on a dresser and then walked far outside and the remote worked through many walls from about 150' away! It is soldily built and has a neat red LED that is lit when it is in remote mode. It also automatically shuts off in an hour if left on in remote mode.

This thing will be super handy camping or otherwise especially to check out or even scare away those "bumps in the night". I'm serious, this has got to be the greatest bargain and the MOST light I've ever received for $10.00! It's worth three times that! Heck, they even give you a Berkeley mini-clip copy with the remote!

Has anyone tried one of these with an EverLED mod?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Got one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Probably more accurate to say ORDERED one, er, TWO. Incidentally, check out the clearance section of their website. Some neat lights there, sometimes at terrific prices! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What kind of runtimes are you folks seeing, and what LED mods have you done to yours? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

bucken

Enlightened

Just got mine... What a nifty light! Seems an excellent value for the $10 cost. The remote still works from anywhere in the house or garage.

Puts out a decent amount of light, too. But... being a CPF member... Has anyone tried a different bulb to get even more light? If so, please share. What bulb?

Any Luxeon mods yet?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Saaby, how did you convert to LED? I'm wondering if the converter circuit you may have used is generating some sort of radio frequency interference. This would make sense, because when the light's off the converter's off, hence no RF interference, and the remote works reliably. When the light's on... RF interference! And the remote can't turn the light off reliably. I'd bet that's what is happening to your light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Bucken, me too! Got mine today. Very nice. I'll be thinking about conversion to Luxeon, so maybe we could touch base with one another to compare notes? Let's make a point to be in touch whenever one of us actually gets a Luxeon in place, to share the news. Deal? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ramptapult

Newly Enlightened

Have had mine on a couple camping trips, this light is very handy. Ive had about 50-60' range w/ my remote while outdoors. Id be very interested in LED mod. Got it here locally at Fred Meyer's for $9.00, WOW!!! Well made. I put it near my tent while I am at the campfire, and click it on when I run over to get more flashlights, or near the stream where I am chillin' my beverages. Looking to get additional one or two, or more if LED/Luxeon modable.

TOB9595

Enlightened

Of all the lights I've given Mom and Dad this lantern is the only one that's gotten praise. (well the PL1 also)

I've given M&D a Tigerlight, Arc aaa, spyder, and a modded 2c mag. Among other cool stuff.

My folks went to a cabin in Vermont this past week. They loved the cabin
AND
praised the Coleman lantern w remote and the Pelican L1 that My Dad hangs round his neck.

Go figure.

Now how to mod some of the other colemans I got /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tom

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

All, I wonder if the remotes are specific to each lantern, or if one remote would turn on ALL the lanterns in the area? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif