Fenix P2D Q5 Question

mattlee23

Newly Enlightened
Just gotten this flashlight yesterday. Today found that the brightness of Turbo mode is the same as the General High mode.

I'm using a rechargeable AA.

Is my flashlight defective?

Someone please advise. Thanks.

iSleep

Newly Enlightened
First ... :welcome:

Ok, I'll assume that you bought the Fenix L1D/P2D Christmas combo pack ...
May I ask what batteries are you using ?

If you are using Li-Ion batts, the P2D Q5 heads mode switching capabilities is disabled ... not so sure about the reason ...

If you are using NiMH batts. I think I'll let the others explain this ... :oops:

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Technically, a P2D can't use a AA cell. So, as mattlee suggested, I'm assuming your bought the combo pack with an L1D and a P2D body. Using a rechargeable AA, you're probably at around 1.2v. The CR123's are over 3.0v. Therefore, when using a single AA, there's too little voltage to make the turbo visibly brighter than the high mode. Throw a CR123 in the other body and it should like up! Conversely, using a rechargeable li-ion cell, the voltage is 3.7-4.2v. This voltage is high enough that every mode looks like Turbo.

mikehill

Enlightened
You won't get turbo on rechargeable AA's, not enough voltage. It will work on the 123a's though.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a recent 4 in 1 kit and configured for one AA (L1Dq5) there is a difference between high and turbo. Fenix quotes it as 107 vs 120 lumens, so the difference is not large. I just rechecked mine and it is pretty noticeable using a Eneloop NiMH when going from high to turbo.

If you are using rechargeable alkalines they may not have low enough impedance to supply adequate current.

If you are using NiMH perhaps the cell is not in good shape. My NiMH are brand new. Sometimes old cells develop higher impedance and won't deliver the high current even though they still work at lower current.

If you are using 14500 li-ion, the voltage is too high for the boost converter and modes will not be very different.

-- Alan

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
On my P2D-Q5 the Turbo mode is also the first mode to go as the 123 battery gets weaker and weaker. First the Turbo mode then the high mode will go as the battery wears down.

I have never used my P2D-Q5 on a AA battery (don't have the AA Tube) but it stands to reason on 1.2 or 1.5 volts which is half the voltage of a 123 that the Turbo mode will not work.

Bill

mattlee23

Newly Enlightened
wow, you guys are great! very helpful! thanks for the input.

mine's the christmas pack and i'm using a 7 year old sony NiMH rechargeable for testing. i do have a couple of eneloops.

i'll get a cr123 battery to see how it goes.

this is my first led flash and i think it's really a good one, very bright! i'm not totally into flashlights, just need something really bright for my trip to cambodia to explore the temples.

once again, thank you

cal..45

Enlightened
my combo pack L1D/P2D Q5 arrived today and here are my first impressions about it: when I use the L1D body with a rechargeable NI-MH cell, the step from "high" to "turbo" is VERY SLIGHTLY visible (I would estimate not more than maybe 6-8 lumens) and it is ONLY visible on a white wall. the effect is totally insignifanct in the field.

with a rechargeable 3V Cr123 cell the difference between "high" and "turbo" is pretty significant on a white wall and also can be good seen in the field. as I typ this I'm just timing the runtime of the L1D on "turbo" with a freshly charged 2950mah (thats what it claims) NI-MH cell. I will post the result later.

btw. runtime with a 650mah rechargable CR123 was 27min:20sec. the lamp was pretty hot afterwards, in fact I couldn't lay my hand tight around it for more than 3 seconds without running danger to get myself some blisters.

regards, holger

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would agree that with the NiMH AA the difference in light output between the High setting and the Turbo setting is not significant in the field. On mine it is easily noticeable if you watch while switching, but that is about it. It seems to be voltage sensitive, so 2xAA or CR123 or probably even Lithium primary AA will increase the Turbo output brightness while the low/medium/high seem to stay the same (they are well regulated).

The real value of "Turbo" with the L1Dq5 is the ability to select it prior to turn-on. So you can have the light start in "low" or "turbo" on the first click. Very handy. If you want it bright, tighten the head and you have instant on-bright. If not, loosen and you get low, and you can bump higher when needed. A very useful interface setup for me.

With the CR123A primary the Turbo setting is a lot brighter. It does not seem to get that warm on mine, but I have not run it for a long time.

Sounds like the rechargeables are pushing it very hard. Wonder what the current is. Please measure battery current if you can with a fresh rechargeable. You might also comment on the functioning of the other settings, they sometimes don't work on rechargeables.

Thanks,

-- Alan

cal..45

Enlightened
Sounds like the rechargeables are pushing it very hard. Wonder what the current is. Please measure battery current if you can with a fresh rechargeable. You might also comment on the functioning of the other settings, they sometimes don't work on rechargeables.

Thanks,

-- Alan

hi alan,

well I don't have a voltmeter so I'm sorry I can't tell you anything about tension. however, what I can tell is that the 3 volt CR123 rechargeables I am using do ALL modes very well, no problems at all. here is a link to it:

http://www.pearl.de/pearl.jsp;jsessionid=eXQ5ZlpEkxC5DhrVdC?screenX=1024&screenY=768

however, I also have CR123 rechargeables from ultrafire...

http://www.lohenstein.de/oxid.php/s...84739/Ultra-Fire-Lithium-Ionen-Akkus-CR-123A/

...and while their capacity is a good ammount higher (880mah) they all fail to switch to the low modes, even when I charged them for 3 volt (the charge can be switched between 3 and 3.6 volt). they are nevertheless pretty good, giving about1/3 longer runtime than the others and drive always on "high" respectively "turbo" at least for the first ten minutes or so.

regards, holger

p.s. as I type this the L1D is running now 65min:40sec...

p.p.s. I just saw the first link won't work - just type in "CR123 AKKU" in the field that says "Volltext-Suche"...

Last edited:

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad to hear the low voltage (3V) (Li-Fe) type rechargeables work well. I may have to get some of those. I've been reluctant to try the high voltages units that I have for another light, I don't want to lose the low modes anyway.

-- Alan