HID conversion kit in Harbor Freight store

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I was startled to see an HID conversion kit in my local HF store today. I couldn't tell much about it from the package (it was in a locked glass cabinet) . It had the letters "DOT" prominently displayed on the box but it didn't say "DOT Approved."

They have a bunch of HID conversion kits on their website but I can't tell if any of these are the type that they have in the store.

Anyone else looked at these at an HF in person?

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just read the ad in the Harbor Freight junk mail, looked like the standard dangerous/illegal HID capsule glued to a halogen base deal. The ad stated that kits were available to fit various halogen bulb bases.

Even if such conversions were safe, there is NO WAY I would buy anything as important as headlights from Harbor Freight. My headlights failing on the country roads I drive could kill me.

:buddies:

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
It had the letters "DOT" prominently displayed on the box but it didn't say "DOT Approved."

AFAIK the DOT does not approve products, only makes the rules and the manufacturers are responsible for making their products compliant. I think it would be better to say DOT "legal."

However, even with the DOT logo on the HF lights, and knowing what anyone here knows about HID conversions for road cars, using the logo is fraud or just misleading.

However, using these for handheld lights would be a great and cheap way to get into a 35W HID setup.

Did you note the cost??

kawgomoo

Newly Enlightened
just get a 75 dollar kit off ebay. harbor freight lights are junk like everthing else.