Battery Junction batteries - safe for M6?

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mind running the BJ batteries in something like my Surefire L1. Draw is pretty mild there by CR123 standards. But every time I buy a light from BJ, they throw a bunch of their house brand CR123s at me. So I have a fair few of them laying around.

I have incoming a nice new Surefire M6. As you know, it takes 6 CR123s and obviously I'm going to want to play with this light with the high output lamp assembly. Should I just stick with Surefire and Panasonic CR123s? Am I courting a destroyed M6 if I put BJ batteries in it?

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike, I'd say if you are going to stress the batteries with 2.5 amps (HOLA), you better stick to Surefire or Duracell Ultra or Procells. Check Silverfox's 2.5 amp test on various brands of 123's in the battery forum threads of interest.

bones_708

Enlightened
I think if you were sure you had the new batteries made in the US, not old stock, then you would be fine. Upside is anytime there has been a problem with Battery Junction batteries, if a light has been damaged they have always made good.

mdocod

Flashaholic
that was battery station that has had a lot of problems and made right on them and is switching suppliers. not battery junction.

bones_708

Enlightened
You're right I wasn't paying attention. I think what threw me is that BJ doesn't carry it's own "named brand" of cr123's

bones_708

Enlightened
Now that is cleared up I would not use any of the batteries sold by BJ in a M6. Not so much for the safety concerns, but rather the reported lack of performance being my main issue. Whatever Batteries you use with options so reasonable priced I would check to see what kind of guaranty/warranty is there, especially with a expensive light being used.

paulr

Flashaholic
I've given up completely on off-brand 123's. They develop passivation layers that limit available current til the layer burns away, they lose their charge on the shelf, they give off obnoxious smells. I bought a bunch of duracells from lighthound and am sticking with them. I also got some Streamlight cells (cheaper and still got good test results and is a major flashlight brand) to use in my TL3 but I'm even sort of regretting that. I've simply come to grips with the notion that 123-powered lights burn money, so I control the cost and waste disposal by managing my use of such lights so the total consumption is relatively low, rather than by using cheap batteries in volume. My most-used edc is AAA-powered with a rechargeable nimh cell, and it's brighter than the best 1x123 lights of a few years ago, more than plenty for my typical purposes. I use a 123 light when I need extra power or if I feel like carrying something exotic and special.

DM51

Flashaholic
The Surefire M6 is extremely demanding where cells are concerned, and when the MN21 HOLA is fitted, it pushes CR123A cells to the limit of their capability. In addition, being in a 3s2p configuration, a weakness in any one of the six cells is very likely to turn into a problem.

Only the very best cells will stand up to this treatment. The Surefire warranty will be voided if you do not use Surefire SF123A cells, which are best quality. Other reputable brand name cells may be just as good, but the warranty is definitely something to consider carefully.

Recommendations:
1. Use Surefire cells (or a brand of similarly unimpeachable high quality)
2. Never mix cells of different brands, ages, types or state of charge in the same light
3. Always test your cells before installing them in the light
4. Do not leave a light with depleted cells inside – remove them immediately when they are exhausted. Venting incidents have occurred between a few minutes and a few hours after a light has been used, when depleted or mismatched cells have been left inside.

Point #3 above, on testing, is overlooked by some people. This thread is worth a look, for those who have not seen it.

Latest posts