Are the 50w HID kits on ebay really 50w?

fire-stick

Enlightened
I hear talk of the 50w HID kits really just being 35 watt bulbs overdriven. Is this true and are there really any true 50w HID kits?

Thanks

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Remember, the wattage in an HID system is determined by the ballast, not by the burner ("bulb"). Most of the "50w HID kits" are indeed ordinary 35w-rated burners with a 50w ballast. See this post. Remember that "HID kits" (of any wattage) in halogen-bulb headlamps do not work safely or effectively, which is why they are illegal. See here. There is a 50w-rated burner made by Philips; it is relatively difficult to find. There are also 75w setups out there if you know where to look.

fire-stick

Enlightened
Thanks for the info.

Sorry my post was so short. What I didn't say, and should've, is that I'm not going to use the kit in a car, it's for my spotlight. Nevertheless thanks for your concern. :wave:

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
I would have to disagree..

Sounds like they know absolutely nothing.

HID kits shouldn't even be used.. they blind people.. you need to retrofit OEM HID systems into your car to do a proper job.

As far as the 50w goes people have been running 35w bulbs on 50w ballasts for quite some time without issue.. but philips has bulbs called DL50 that are meant for 50w.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like they know absolutely nothing.
Well, maybe not absolutely nothing, but this paragraph in particular is an indication they don't know much. The idea of it making too much light! :shakehead Get a 35W system if that's the case.

Until now we have been advacating 6000k color so you get the maximum light and clarity with HID bulbs. Well with 50W 6000k the brightness is so much that we're not sure if that's sage advise anymore. We're recommeding 8000k or even 3000k with the 50 W bulbs.

So much brightness. :laughing:

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
Ok.. maybe they know something about marketing :thinking:

"Until now we have been advacating 6000k color so you get the maximum light and clarity with HID bulbs."

False as well.

fire-stick

Enlightened
Well, maybe I should've said they seem to know more than some people. (Well, mostly the people on ebay that I've been looking at... lol.. "High output 12000K HID")

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
the people on ebay that I've been looking at... lol.. "High output 12000K HID"

That's not actually a lie, you just have to interpret it correctly. It means "These will seem like they produce any output if you're high on drugs."

kawgomoo

Newly Enlightened
yeah those guys are a rip off. i sell 50 watt kits for half that price. they all come from the same place

hugely popular in atv/rhino crowd. i know i know hids are bad. oh well.. people still buy them :)

hid works just like a welder, i dont think you can overdrive the bulb really. your just tossing more current at it which makes a larger/brighter arc. then again im no scientist just my half baked theory.

Latest posts