Best Camping Lantern Recomendations

craigberesh

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a new lantern for camping. It will sit on the table or sometimes be hung up in tree. I want to light a area of about 50 + feet. What is recomended these days?

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
Yep. Stick with a gas or liquid-powered lantern for your stated purpose. I have some River Rock AA lanterns that I'd use for tent camping but would rely on my trusty Coleman, twin-mantle, gas-powered lantern for illuminating a much larger area.

brickbat

Enlightened
If by "better" you mean dimmer, battery powered, not meeting the 50 + foot requirement, and using LEDs, than yes, I suppose "better" solutions will be offered...

Otherwise, I challenge the forum to offer a better solution than a gas lantern. The colemans are a good value, but there are smaller options too from other manufacturers.

Of course the OP doesn't mention a weight, cost or size limit, so I suppose a Honda EU1000i generator driving a pair of 400 W Metal Halide lamps, might be better ;)

Last edited:

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the Petromax worth the money? Is a Coleman just as good? Any other brands or models?
Who makes the brightest lantern?

ValhallaPrime

Newly Enlightened
Coleman, for a variety of -balanced- reasons.

*ease of use, decades of product lines and parts
*ease of maintenance
*fuel and supplies (mantles, globes, etc) can be found literally worldwide
*dual-fuel white gas models are great to have to double for a home emergency preparedness kit. Seriously, long term power outtage, you're still gonna find small amounts of gasoline easily. and yeah, it runs for a while on a snapple-bottle's worth of gas.
*Their propane models just plain work. screw a tank on, and light it. you break the mantles, tie a fresh pair (found in any sporting goods store, #21's) and they work. For added sanity, keep a fresh package taped to the bottom of your tank base.

I have a dual-mantle Dual-fuel Powerhouse Coleman and love it. Bought about 3 years ago, just changed the mantles out this fall....Have gone through about 2 gallons of White gas on it, lasting dozens of evenings in the back-yard hang-outs and barbeques.

For about 10 years as a kid, I had a 1-mantle propane. That thing was pretty bright, and I'd get through 2 nights of camping on a single tank, using it about 4-5 hours a night.

ValhallaPrime

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a new lantern for camping. It will sit on the table or sometimes be hung up in tree. I want to light a area of about 50 + feet. What is recomended these days?

Also Craig,

If you're gonna use it often, meaning more than just 3-4 times a year, consider the white gas ones.... They're a tad finicky, but the fuel is really cheap, and you can use regular gasoline in an emergency as long as it's a dual-fuel model.

Even though coleman is pimping their newer models with the single-tube mantle (pinnacle and northstar - yes, they are brighter as per forum guru Blacklight), the dual-tube ones that take #21 size mantles can be found and bought everywhere. Chances are, if you're camping and need a mantle, if there's -anyone- else camping around you they probably have a few spare #21 with them. Not to diss the new model mantles, but I've only seen them on the shelves of one local sporting goods joint, in the 6 that are around here locally. They're also $5 each, as compared to 2 for $2ish for the #21 size mantles.

If you're only gonna use it a couple of times a year, the propane ones are about as maintenance free as possible. All you have to do is worry about mantles. Seriously...they just -work-.

Important...old boyscouts trick for the propane ones....when you get spare cylinders, and aren't gonna use them immediately...take the cap off and rub a bit of oil into the threads of the cylinder with a rag or paper towel. Sometimes the steel threads are a bit exposed or not painted...the oil will keep the threads from rusting if kept in longterm storage, and help a tad when screwing on and seating the cylinder.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Valhalla
Looking at the Coleman site, the Powerhouse looks good and as you said, uses a standard mantle. I don't need the electronic ignition as I am an oldtimer. I can even use the models that need a pre-heat.
I may, in the tradition of CPF, buy em both then I can report on the Petromax.

I'm not to sure about what you said about greasing the threads of the cylinder. I seem to remember never to use oils on pressured cylinders.

ValhallaPrime

Newly Enlightened
yeah, me too, but I've had more of a problem with threads rusting and then leaking a bit because of it. I don't grease it up, just wipe it with literally just a drop of 10w30.

I usually buy 6-10 cylinders at a time, anytime they're on super-sale, less than $2 each. I usually catch one of those about every 2 years. only go through a couple a year, usually during power outtages.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
The threads of propane bottles are not part of the seal, merely a mechanical attachment. Propane is low pressure, and already a flammable gas, so I don't think lubing the threads is going to be a problem (high pressure gases and lube can be a problem).

If you want to use LEDs, they work great in headlamps. Much more efficient than lighting up the whole area.

LED lanterns just have not approached the output of hot-mantle devices yet...

Last edited:

ValhallaPrime

Newly Enlightened
Yeah Sunspot,

The Powerhouse one has been good to me so far; it is supposedly 25% brighter or something along those lines as a standard coleman whitegas dual-mantler, but it does use more gas. But whatever, I can always turn it down if I need to, and then it lasts just as long. Seriously, if you're only gonna buy one lantern to have around, it's fit the bill for me.

Also, was over at one of my buddy's house a month or so ago...I had given him a Coleman propane dual mantler for his birthday last summer for use in his backyard during bbq's and beer pong. It's about as bright as the white gas powerhouse, but I forgot how loud the tank-hiss was on those dual-mantle propane ones on high. Not that it was a big deal, but if I had to ever use it close by for long periods of time, it'd get annoying. Once that dually white gas is warmed up, it's pretty quiet. Surges a bit and pops the first few minutes, but you probably know that. Just the generator getting warmed up.

Oh yeah, one thing over the LED lanterns; you can't beat the amount of mosquitoes killed at the bottom of them at the end of the night.

CodeOfLight

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Valhalla
Looking at the Coleman site, the Powerhouse looks good and as you said, uses a standard mantle. I don't need the electronic ignition as I am an oldtimer. I can even use the models that need a pre-heat.
I may, in the tradition of CPF, buy em both then I can report on the Petromax.

I'm not to sure about what you said about greasing the threads of the cylinder. I seem to remember never to use oils on pressured cylinders.
GET THE ELECTRIC START!!!!!!

I am an old time camper too. NOTHING beats just turning it on. Like a light switch.

Blacklight

Enlightened
Yeah, can't go wrong with a fueled lantern. Propane is about 15% brighter, on a comparable lantern than white gas. A dual manatal white gas lantern is in the neighborhood of 800 lumens, I think the power house when tested was closer to 1000, but because of the nature of the light, its hard to get exact, repeatable results. a standard two mantle propane lantern sstarts out at a little over 1000 lumens, and gos up from there ,w ith the Pinnacle being about 1600 lumens. I like white gas because it is so economical to run. if you get a dual fuel model you can run unleaded gas in it if you need to as well.

kantonburg

Newly Enlightened
Yeah Sunspot,

The Powerhouse one has been good to me so far; it is supposedly 25% brighter or something along those lines as a standard coleman whitegas dual-mantler, but it does use more gas. But whatever, I can always turn it down if I need to, and then it lasts just as long. Seriously, if you're only gonna buy one lantern to have around, it's fit the bill for me.

Also, was over at one of my buddy's house a month or so ago...I had given him a Coleman propane dual mantler for his birthday last summer for use in his backyard during bbq's and beer pong. It's about as bright as the white gas powerhouse, but I forgot how loud the tank-hiss was on those dual-mantle propane ones on high. Not that it was a big deal, but if I had to ever use it close by for long periods of time, it'd get annoying. Once that dually white gas is warmed up, it's pretty quiet. Surges a bit and pops the first few minutes, but you probably know that. Just the generator getting warmed up.

Oh yeah, one thing over the LED lanterns; you can't beat the amount of mosquitoes killed at the bottom of them at the end of the night.

Is this the Powerhouse model you're refering to?

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=295A700&categoryid=1015

I've been contemplating a nice latern and have only dealt with propane in the past. I do know that if the dual fuel models are really quiet that seals the deal for me. I do like the availabilty of propane, but for as much as I'd use it the extra cost for a dual fuel is worth it to me. Sounds odd eh? But I've always been annoyed by that whooshing sound.

Steel and Light

Newly Enlightened
I would agree with the folks here advocating the Coleman liquid fuel lanterns. I have a 32 year old dual fuel that still works (with proper maintenance of course). I also have the Coleman Northstar liquid fuel which I find a little more user friendly. All good!

By the way, the noise from a Coleman liquid fuel lantern kinda sounds like a hiss/gurgle. You get used to it and it is a comforting sound. They also keep your campsite lit for most of the light.

Good luck on your search!

ValhallaPrime

Newly Enlightened
Is this the Powerhouse model you're refering to?

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=295A700&categoryid=1015

I've been contemplating a nice latern and have only dealt with propane in the past. I do know that if the dual fuel models are really quiet that seals the deal for me. I do like the availabilty of propane, but for as much as I'd use it the extra cost for a dual fuel is worth it to me. Sounds odd eh? But I've always been annoyed by that whooshing sound.

Yeah, that's the one I have. It's been great

It is quite a bit quieter than the propane ones, especially on about 3/4 brightness....just have to remember to pump it a couple of times every few hours. As for availability of propane, white gas (naptha) is almost as common, and easier to truck around. I have a couple of 22oz MSR fuel bottles that I keep filled. Each one is about 3/4's of a tank on the above-linked one, and realistically is about 6 hours on high, or a whole night till dawn's worth, throttled down a bit. One additional extra bonus vs. propane is that you're not throwing away (or recycling) a big ole steel cylinder each time.

When I was a kid in scouts, I was scared of the white gas ones, because of the extra steps in fueling it and lighting it. Now, it seems easy, and for the cheap convenience, it's fine. We use ours once a week in the summer for backyard beer-drinkin' and grilling lighting, and a one-gallon can (~$6) lasts all summer, in the 3-5 hours spurts each week. At the end of the night, we crank it up to high, and can see all the bottlecaps and bottles and such for clean-up. Idled on about 3/4's it's still a lot of light, and eats mosquitoes like crazy.

Yes, more of a quiet gurgle. Gets a bit louder as it's running out of juice....last 20 mins or so. The dual fuel option is only a couple of bucks more, and might come in handy in an emergency. I've heard that it can start gumming up after a dozen or so tanks on regular unleaded though. Although, a dozen or so tanks is a lot of nights of light in an emergency.

Last edited:

kantonburg

Newly Enlightened
Well the dual fuel sounds awesome. To be honest I don't even know if my local Wally World sells the dual fuel. I know they carry the propane models.

I know this may be a stupid question, but what is the main difference between the Powerhouse model and the regular model besides the 25% brightness difference?

Last edited: