Just bought my first real Multitool!!

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Well the first Multitool I ever got was a leatherman Micro at age 10. Then when I was 13 my dad gave me a Husky Blue multi tool that I still have, in pieces. So went to Basspro tonight with my x-mas money and I really liked the look of this Multitool that cought my eye. It was the Gerber Suspension. I really liked the silver sleekness and the body lines. It came with a sheath aswell. I have liked Gerber products ever since I bought my first real knife which was a Gerber Kiowa. Well I think that it's a very solid and quality tool, like the Surefires of Multitools. Here are some stock pics.
gerber.jpg
SUSPENSION.bmp

And heres My kiowa
ger1405.jpg

-Evan

Dantor

Enlightened
Congrats on your new score! I hope it lasts and serves you well :)

I myself wouldn't say Surefires, maybe ultrafire and not as inexpensive!

Looneytick

Newly Enlightened
I'm a retired firefighter and the first multitool was the original Gerber. I used this tool on the job for a few years, I then got different style Gerber Multitool that I used for 10 years, I passed it down to my firefighter son to use on the job. (He's a fourth generation firefighter) You can't beat a Gerber Mulitool.

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Yeah, I love the quality of my gerber knives and know multitools and do consider them the SF of knives and tools. I also recently purchased the gerber hinderer rescue tool (for firefighters) and it's pure quality and built to last. You should look into it Looney.

-Evan

guyg

Newly Enlightened
Enjoy your new tool. Gerber has made good multitools for a long time. Dont forget to oil the joints once in a while and sharpen the blade.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Maybe the Ultrafire or Coast of multitools. SOG and Victorinox are the SF of multitools, with Leatherman being the Pelican or Fenix.

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Maybe the Ultrafire or Coast of multitools. SOG and Victorinox are the SF of multitools, with Leatherman being the Pelican or Fenix.

Well you have yours, and I have mine:nana:. I do really consider the quality of Gerbers knives and Multitools to be the quality of a surefire. To me they just have like the same, feel you know.

-Evan

Dantor

Enlightened
Well you have yours, and I have mine:nana:. I do really consider the quality of Gerbers knives and Multitools to be the quality of a surefire. To me they just have like the same, feel you know.

-Evan

I think Gerber makes good tools, they have a style that appeals to many but their not what they used to be. Unfortunately many, including me, feel they do not have the "Quality" they used to have (do a search in most forums).

It's great you really like your Gerber, I tip my hat to you but if you've ever held a Swisstool and studied it's fit and finish, or exposed it to the elements, and give them a workout, many understand the difference...

Marduke

Flashaholic
I have a mini swiss tool and find it to be hard to open. My kiowa is right up there in Quality with my buddys benchmade(And a little sharper).

-Evan

As there is no namebrand "mini swiss tool", I think he was referring to the Victorinox Swiss Tool and Swiss Tool Spirit.

These
http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Pages/Product.aspx?category=swisstool&product=53905&
http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Pages/Product.aspx?category=swisstool&product=53800&

Top notch quality, second to none for multitools IMO.

cal..45

Enlightened
@ lightguy27,

I don't have any experience with gerber MT's yet, so please pardon my ingnorance, but may I ask what exactly these sliders (lockings I presume?) are made for?

2432a9c9.jpg

regards, holger

cal..45

Enlightened
thanks mossyoak,

I'm about to lay my hands on a gerber suspension tool as well, just waiting for a message clarifying the shipping costs from US to Germany (over here they ask triple, even quadruple the price for it...:mad::banghead: )

regards, holger

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have a mini swiss tool and find it to be hard to open. My kiowa is right up there in Quality with my buddys benchmade(And a little sharper).

-Evan

Ironically, Gerber knives were far better quality many years ago. Those models would have put your Kiowa to shame. And dare I say it.... would have given Benchmade a run for its money.

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Ironically, Gerber knives were far better quality many years ago. Those models would have put your Kiowa to shame. And dare I say it.... would have given Benchmade a run for its money.

My friend has a benchmade and I have handled it and used and I prefer my kiowa. I love the tanto blade and the smoothness of the blade on the serration cuts. My kiowa has held it's blade to near factory razor sharpness since early Jan. of 07. I think my L4 and Kiowa make a sexy combo.:cool: Well, for knives, I take Gerber and for lights it's SF hands down.

-Evan

Looneytick

Newly Enlightened
As for the Gerber Hinderer I bought it for my son's Fire college graduation present and I was impressed with the quality and functions of the knife.

bashk

Newly Enlightened
Take this with a grain of salt

The person is pretty passionate about his feelings about this tool however, he fails to mention the point of failure in the project he was working on.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OMzpQDSzIQo

P.S. I recently bought a Gerber Suspension and really like it so far.

Hope yours works out well for you.

Bash