Ostar + aspheric lens = ....

cytoe

Newly Enlightened
00031.jpg

00032.jpg

00021.jpg

00020.jpg

I'll try and take some better beam shots later...

The housing is from a cpu heat sink, milled out.
Lens is a 55mm PCX aspheric from Surplus Shed
Ostar is the 6die model from Digikey.
Shark driver (sinked in the handle)

I have this running off a 14.8v lithium battery pack.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
My guess is that at full focus, you are getting a hotspot with 6 distinct squares.

Looks great and I can't wait to see the beamshots.

mrk442

Newly Enlightened
:goodjob:

looks sharp but i demand beam shots!!!

ohh yeah and :takeit:

Illum

Flashaholic
Oooh this is going to be good :naughty:
I was wondering whose going to come up with something like this

Last edited:

cytoe

Newly Enlightened
6 die with 130 deg lens built in. I focused it so I could see the die(s)... As it throws the farest. Here's some beam shots. Will try take some outside if it stops snowing... These are during the day in my house btw...

00034.jpg

00035.jpg

Last edited:

mrk442

Newly Enlightened
lol i love the 6 die's that just crazy nice and original you shall be the envy of all the folks with boring single square beams :)

mds82

Enlightened
Very cool! can you adjust how far the lens is to make the die more or less clear, try to blur everything toghter?

cytoe

Newly Enlightened
everything is fixed...would have been really difficult to make the lens distance adjustable.

cytoe

Newly Enlightened
I also made a single Cree Q5 aspheric (no pics right now). It think it threw farther, but the beam was smaller with only 1 die size (of course)...

DM51

Flashaholic
That is an amazing looking light - great design work. Looking forward to the night-time beamshots.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh Man...

I wanted to be the first to post these beamshots, I've been working on a Ostar 6 Die in a 2 1/2 D M@g host running 8 Li-Ion 4 series/2 parallel with Shark driver, but I don't have all of my parts yet, hard to find the 52mm aspherical I need...

Great Job, It really makes me look forward to my build!!

beetleguise

Enlightened
That thing has got to be obscenely bright, and the throw must be visible at over 2,000 ft. I too, have been planning this mod. Congrats on being the first, and very creative on the host too!

cytoe

Newly Enlightened
ok, I shouldn't even post this since the image sucks (more like my night time picture taking skills suck), but here it is anyway...I'll try taking a better one when it isn't 0 deg out. brrr.

ostar_shot1.jpg

Last edited:

cytoe

Newly Enlightened
This is the single Q5 aspheric I made...

q5_ashperic.jpg

q5_ashperic2.jpg

q5_ashperic3.jpg

• 55mm aspheric lens (same as the Ostar)
  • Kennan driver (kaidomain) modded from 750ma to 900ma
  • LocLine attached to cheap clamp
Made this for my dad for illuminating his target at an indoor gun range he frequents. Need to take some beam shots, but it actually appears to throw farther than the Ostar one above. This is probably due to the fact that Ostar has 6 dies on the star, each around 200lm? vs the Q5 at around 240lm (900ma)? The 6 dies get projected to a bigger area than the a single Q5. Also, the Q5 emmits at 75 deg, vs 130 for the Ostar (maybe a different built in lens or no lens would be better?). The Ostar is definitely brighter with a bigger hot spot, but the single Q5 does appear to throw farther.

Last edited:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool! can you adjust how far the lens is to make the die more or less clear, try to blur everything toghter?

I tried this also and I could not focus the dies as clear as the XE-E's. Maybe if you remove the clear dome over the Ostar LED's?

Mac

cytoe

Newly Enlightened
Was thinking the same thing (remove the lens)...but at $43 a pop, I'm hesitant. I might try this yet, but still wondering if removing the lens will affect the life of the led. I guess as long as I keep the silicone gunk on the phosphor part I should be fine (no air bubbles). If this does not help, I may just yank it out of this light and stick a single Q5 in and make a bike light out of the Ostar.