Benazir Bhuto Assassinated

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is Pakistan's Musharrif really anyone's friend?

Everything is relative. He is certainly more moderate than those who killed Bhutto. And considering Pakistan's location in the region, its arsenal of nukes, and a number of other cogent factors, it is preferable to have a quasi-friend in Pakistan than no friend in Pakistan.

daveman

Enlightened
Musharrif isn't about to give up what he had "worked" for the past 8+ years for nothing. He read his lines and played his part for the U.S. and he expects to get paid per the deal. With quagmire in Iraq and Afgan and Iran standing its ground, Musharrif is betting against any military intervention from the U.S., and that's all he needs to hang on, even by means of assasination.

Yes, Musharrif at least knew about the assasination prior to it, if he had not arranged it.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
One would certainly have to question her judgement.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I admire her courage in not backing down in the face of the extremists. She had faults, but she had the guts to go out and campaign.

She knew the risks and kept working. We have a few things to learn from her.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
She rode in an armored car.

There is a message for all free people in this:

When dealing with some types of adversaries -- there is no moderate path.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
She rode in an armored car.

There is a message for all free people in this:

It's too complex an issue to make broad statements like that. It's an issue of society, upbringing, and economics. But it's also not a discussion for this board.

Lightmeup

Enlightened
I just heard on the news that Bhutto died from smashing her head into the sunroof of the car while trying to duck. She wasn't hit by the assassin. What a weird development.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just heard on the news that Bhutto died from smashing her head into the sunroof of the car while trying to duck. She wasn't hit by the assassin. What a weird development.
I wouldn't believe that for an instant. The crime scene was not preserved. It was initially reported that she was shot in the head and chest. Now they say she hit her head and was not hit at all by frags or bullets. If that's the case what was seen that looked like bullet wounds? Surely nothing that came from bumping her head.

Her body was in a casket and ready for burial within a few hours. Just what kind of autopsy was done? Not much, I think. No inconvienient tests that require time or any scrutiny. Since her casket also had a glass window at least some of the very limited time available to pathologists was probably spent making her look a little more presentable before she hit the street.

I'd guess that the 'she bumped her own head and died' story is just a final dig at her -- and an attempt to lessen the negative PR impact on the image of her killers. Clever.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sub_Umbra said:
...There is a message for all free people in this:

It's too complex an issue to make broad statements like that. It's an issue of society, upbringing, and economics...
Emphasis mine.

EXACTLY -- and even, perhaps, an issue or two you haven't mentioned. That was my point. While my statement was intentionally broad it is also true and always has been. History shows that not much changes in this regard.

daveman

Enlightened
Pakistan is definitely not a place for the U.S. to meddle in right now (unless militarily); whoever Uncle Sam tries to bring into Pakistan next to take down Musharrif will meet the same fate, it's just not our territory, so we cannot assure anyone's safety in that country.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I admire her courage in not backing down in the face of the extremists. She had faults, but she had the guts to go out and campaign.

She knew the risks and kept working. We have a few things to learn from her.

I agree. You had to have a lot of guts to speak out against the government and the extremists, especially as a woman in an Islamic society. I think she had bigger :):) than most "leaders" in this world.

Must've chapped a few hides.

Dudemar

Latest posts