• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Ugrading PD to SSC

luminata

Enlightened
:candle:I have a t-bin LuxIII coming and I want to upgrade it to SSC

I found an older thread about upgrading to a higher bin Luxeon but also have become confused with a cpl of comments on changing up to SSC.

Do you indeed HAVE to enlargen the pocket in the heat sink to accomodate the slug of an SSC. Is the SSC indeed bigger than a LUX? they look the same to me or very close.

If you do indeed have to enlargen that pocket doesnt this remove the HAIII coating on the heat sink and wont the LED short out without the isolation the HAIII provides ? I saw Pumaman had to do this but I dont know what model light he has. This may be more than I want to do.

Also if a MCR20s reflector is used does that negate having to shim the SSC? If you have to shim the led what do you use? anyone have an easily obtainable solution for a shim?

I have always wanted a PD and have finally got hold of one. But now with this hurdle to overcome I dont know it may be too much to deal with. Plus I dont want to have to dump another $100 bucks into it by having a skilled modder do the procedure. It will put the cost way overbudget for me.

Please:candle: Help!!!!

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
This might be a helpful thread: How to seoul a Ti-PD?

That might help you get started. :shrug: Good luck, and let us know how it works if you try it! :)

john

EDIT: You might also want to check out the new K2 LED's - that may be more of a direct swap?? :thinking:

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
luminata said:
:candle:I have a t-bin LuxIII coming and I want to upgrade it to SSC

I found an older thread about upgrading to a higher bin Luxeon but also have become confused with a cpl of comments on changing up to SSC.
No problem...

luminata said:
Do you indeed HAVE to enlargen the pocket in the heat sink to accomodate the slug of an SSC. Is the SSC indeed bigger than a LUX? they look the same to me or very close.
Yes, you have to. The seat for the Luxeon is too small, and will need to be widened. A Dremel tool with a carbide grinding tip can do this in about 5 minutes. It is a good idea to protect the actual bottom of the seat to preserve the anodization.

luminata said:
If you do indeed have to enlargen that pocket doesnt this remove the HAIII coating on the heat sink and wont the LED short out without the isolation the HAIII provides ? I saw Pumaman had to do this but I dont know what model light he has. This may be more than I want to do.
The bottom of the seat is not harmed with the widening. The copper shim is used with Arctic Alumina, and adds some isolation in the area where the anodization is missing. Of course, you will need to test for continuity.

luminata said:
Also if a MCR20s reflector is used does that negate having to shim the SSC? If you have to shim the led what do you use? anyone have an easily obtainable solution for a shim?
The reflector will need to have 0.030" removed from the back to ensure that the Seoul LED is properly focused. It does make a big difference, and seeing a dark spot near the LED is a sure sign that the LED is too far back in the reflector. You should see all yellow phosphor when you look square in the reflector. I make my own copper shims with 1/2" copper tubing. I cut it to size with metal shears, file it lightly, sand it with 400 grit wet/dry paper and use my digital calipers to ensure that I have it to the proper thickness. It takes less than 5 minutes. You could order some pre-made 0.030" copper shims from the Sandwich Shoppe, but I like working with my hands, so I do it the "hard way".

luminata said:
I have always wanted a PD and have finally got hold of one. But now with this hurdle to overcome I dont know it may be too much to deal with. Plus I dont want to have to dump another $100 bucks into it by having a skilled modder do the procedure. It will put the cost way overbudget for me.

Please:candle: Help!!!!
The PD is a sweet light even in stock form. I hope that the information was helpful.