Funky colored head lights.

UVLaser

Enlightened
I have seen red, green, purple, and blue head lights as of lately.
I think the purple and blue head lights are high tempture HID bulbs do to there intensity. But the question is has any body else notice this?

Thanks

superjoe83

Newly Enlightened
not so much on this side of the country (Oregon) but they (HID kits) are becoming more popular since you can buy them off ebay for $80-$90

i really don't know why someone would get such a bad color temp, usually around 10k-13k which lumens wise is not brighter than a stock halogen plus the awful almost UV color on the ground:shakehead

kawgomoo

Newly Enlightened
high color temp hid as well as "true" colors. basically hid bulb with what is reffered to as dichromatic coating on the bulb. this is where they get the green, blue etc.

also some put colored leds in the headlight to add color along with the oem bulb.

van1

Newly Enlightened
here's some info for you,

"There are many companies and private merchants out there that will advertise 7000K, 8000K, and even 12000K HID kits. Most of these vendors lurk around on ebay, online car forums, websites, and ricer accessory shops. 100% of the people that buy these kits do so because they are uninformed, uneducated, or misguided in the field of lighting, and will buy these junk kits thinking three things: that these bulbs are brighter, that these bulbs should cost more money, and/or that they will perform better. All three statements are completely false. Perhaps this misconception and frenzy for purple lights originates from BMW and Audi's infamous Hella projector HIDs.

So allow me to explain the real truth of the matter... Philips is the number one manufacturer of HID bulbs. The Philips OEM D2S bulb is rated at 4100K at 12.8 volts and produces 3200 lumens of light. The Philips Ultinon D2S is 5800K at 12.8 volts and produces 2400 lumens of light. As you can see, with all other factors remaining constant, the brightness of an HID bulb declines the higher up the color index you go. Vision, a Korean bulb manufacturer, makes an 8000K bulb, which they used to advertise on Acura-Forums as 2000 lumens bright. This is barely a marked improvement over halogens, and will produce more glare and eye fatigue than it is beneficial. 4100K has been proven through tireless independent research by the Germans, Japanese, and Americans to be the most functional, truest white and thus the brightest possible color temperature (ceteris paribus).

Every car manufacturer in the world (including BMW and Audi) uses none other than a standard 4100K gas-discharge bulb. No exceptions. The reason being is that 4100K is daylight white in color and produces the same color visible light as direct sunlight. This is least fatiguing functional color on the eyes and produces the most comfortable contrast on the road.

So the million dollar question is now: Why do BMW & Audi lights appear blue when they use a white bulb?

Well, this coloration is the result of the light projectors; the lenses: it's transparency, it's curvature, the tiny grooves etched into it; the projector assembly, the shield, and the reflector bowl. All these components work together to produce a signature of light unique to that particular optic's design. On the Audi and BMW projectors, the lens curvature at the edge bends the white light producing a "prism effect". White light is broken down to it's fundemental colors. Since blue lights is high energy, it is absorbed last and thus travels farther. So with this prism effect, you'll notice that BMW HIDs are only purple and blue from the sides, the top, and the bottom edges, but are always daylight white on the road and in the beam pattern. This phenomenon can be demonstrated when you watch an oncoming BMW hit a pot hole or speed bump in the road and the car's nose pitches up and down. The headlights will flicker and "throw colors off", but returns to a solid white beam pattern directly on the road.

Trying to emulate this color-flickering effect with a solid-state blue or purple bulb is only detrimental to lighting performance, it doesn't fool anyone, but most importantly it endangers other motorists around you. Blue light has what we call a very high diffuse density, which causes it to radiate outwards as opposed to forwards. What results is a wide glow of light outside the beam pattern that is blinding to motorists you share the road with. A blue HID bulb will produce color bleed around the headlight, around the objects it lights up, outside of the beam pattern, and around the cut off line. This is effect is known as "glare", and these illegal and improperly installed HID kits are the reason why HIDs get a bad wrap. As common evidence of glare, observe a traffic light at night in a dimly lit area. There is red light and green light. Red is opposite blue and green is next to blue, thus we can substitute green for blue. If you observe the aura, or glow, of light around a red light and compare it to that of a green light, you'll notice that the green light produces much more glare than red. Blue is even worse. Purple, the worst. "

kawgomoo

Newly Enlightened
yup that is correct. not so sure what the op was really asking.

aftermarket hids have been coming in all sorts of horrible colors. they are named Q colors for whatever reason.

oem cars have projectors and you see all the colors because of the projector. i call it the rainbow effect. just like a raindrop splits the light up so does the edges of the projector.

you seem a bit hostile there van... no one was pushing pnp hid's :cool:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
So what would be the best replacement for my Astro van which has a 2 headlight H6054 setup?

I've resisted the desire to have brighter headlights because I'm reluctant to subject other drivers to blinding lights, even on when on low.

Thanks for any help.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been seeing a few vehicals arount town with almost pinkish/red colored HID headlights......looks terrible in my opinion

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what would be the best replacement for my Astro van which has a 2 headlight H6054 setup?

Do you have to stay 'legal'? (say for inspection)

If no, go with european headlights

http://www.rallylights.com/useful_info/Vision_Plus.htm
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/200mm.asp

I remember those crappy sealed beams. I must have tried every 'new' feature when they came out the H6054. Xenon gas allowed for a higher white point (because of driving the filament harder)

But one upgrade of the H6054 format that worked, was a change from 35/65 watt transverse filaments, to 55/65 watt axial filament.
It is good for you, but bad for oncoming traffic. (SAE vs e-code)
http://www.sylvaniaautocatalog.com/sylvania/ProductBrowse_sel_Round-56.asp?BatchId=41&FigNumber=110

Well apparently all the H6054 are all 55/65 now. (those 35 watt low beams really sucked. You were overdriving the low beams at 50mph)

If I could go back in time, I would have paid the $100 for the ones with the city lights (pull the wire from the combination park/turn, and use that to power the city light. That would give positive signaling turn signals off-ON-off-ON, and leave the lower marker (use 168 instead of 194) operative. and that marker was wired across the turn filament, so when the turn is ON, the current in the marker stops, negative signaling)

and you could upgrade the rear tail/brake/turn bulbs (isn't it supposed to be 2057, pass on that, use something like 2357 if it has the correct base)
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/signal_bulbs/signal_bulbs.html

So you can pickup the $85 one if you don't want to mess with the city lights.

Last edited:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
ECE headlights are not illegal per se.
You can have them on single track vehicles (motorcycles)

If you were taking a vacation from Canada into the US, it is possible that you can have ece headlights on cars in the US.
or coming from Mexico into Estados Unidos.
(I was surprised as just how good cheap dual beam H4 on a Nissan Tsuru cabs were. Sharp delination between dark & light, traditional 15 degree raised edge)

Also I don't 'know' that these upgraded headlights will be used on public roads.

If he has to, he can get an ECE for the driver's side, and one of those Hella Vision plus for the passenger side.

and morality & the law aren't lined up. It makes more sense to not blind/glare people, and ECE headlights do exactly that. They stress quality over quantity.
Then if you want quantity, hook up a custom wiring harness and use something like 55/100 low/high H4 bulbs.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen green a few times, and yellow quite often.

For awhile, ECE headlights were specifically legal here in Oregon, due to our weather. Then Oregon changed to comply with FMVSS 108 and ECE headlights were made illegal.

I've run ECE headlights on all my vehicles for 10+ years. If anyone's noticed that they're different, they haven't mentioned it, even when I've been pulled over by a LEO.

:buddies:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Errr..... why are ECE lights illegal in the states? Seems to me a better system all round....

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woeful SAE headlights

Winner!

I have taken the opportunity to sit and watch traffic.
Some of the most obnoxious headlights aren't projector HID systems, usually the worst offenders are HB5/9007 dual beams (Damn Chryslers!)

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/bulb_types/bulb_types.html
HB1/9004 (45/65 l/H watts) was a slight improvement over POS 35/65 watt sealed beam.
(I like the old version, circa 1998, where it says 'Makes lousy headlamps')

I have driven a first generation mercury villager with 9004, low beams are weak, high beams are decent. But with the stock wiring, you are overdriving the low beams if you drive faster than 50mph.

I also have driven a GM car with dual dual beams. The low beams were the low of the 9004 in the outboard reflector (on filament facing downward), the high beams were the high filament of a different 9004 in the inner reflector. Sucked (and would have still sucked even if GM left the low beams on when you go to high beams, but they didn't, so you were left to drive in a BIG black hole when on high beams. The MO of this system was that you can swap the bulbs from low/high if you burn out a filament)

HB4/9006 became obsolete when HB5/9007 came out. So you are telling me that you can get the same output, even after you subtract the losses from the other filament in there? Yes, the 9006 was not driven hard enough, it should have put out 20% more light, so what that it would not last 6 years, and only lasts 4 years in the real world, so be it.

HB3/9005 can't complain, it did its job for the time.

HB5/9007 'Makes mediocre headlamps.' Undoubtedly! So you have improved the output on low beams compared to the HB1/9004, but at a cost of somewhere between 50-100% more glare. SO not worth it!

H1-the start
H2s (incredible output), but a pain in the arse to use (and they lost the ECE R12 didn't they?)
H3-The fog light bulb
H4-Thank you Graves' shield for glare control
H7-The modern paradigm (you can retire now H1)
H8-the new fog light 'God help us if these dim bulbs get popular'
H9-the modern high beam (A next generation 9005 if you like)
H13-the new [very limited] dual beam
H11-the new 9006 (trades output of H7 for longevity)
H10/H12 accessory bulbs
HIR1 & 2 (they are like 9006/9005 from a parallel dimension. Kirk with fascial hair) Good to see Toyota use the 9011 for the high beams of the Avalon.

craig333

Newly Enlightened
Most of those colored lights aren't even cheap hid's. Just colored halogen bulbs.

I love my ECE's in my Jeep. Never had a problem with law enforcement or anything else. If only I could use them on my Dodge truck. What a pos light that is.

1pt21

Enlightened
Could someone enlighten me as to what is meant by "ECE" lights?? Does it mean Euro Spec or something?? I just recently picked up a set of the OSRAM Silverstars in H4 for my vehicle. These are the ones that are not readily available here in the in the US (at least at parts stores the only Silverstars are badged as "Sylvania"). They have the clear bulb, not blue tinted as the Sylvania badged ones do.

Are these a no-no here on US roads??

Thanks all for any help!!

--Paul

craig333

Newly Enlightened
ECE does refer to the european spec. This is for the design of the headlight itself, not just the bulb.

The bulb you are referring to is legal, unfortunately.

1pt21

Enlightened
ECE does refer to the european spec. This is for the design of the headlight itself, not just the bulb.

The bulb you are referring to is legal, unfortunately.

THANK YOU for the info. Just wondering, why do you say it is unfortunate that they are legal? Or did you mean to say they're illegal? I'm hoping these OSRAMS will have a better bulb life over the Sylvania's. We'll see

--Paul

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
So is there a "best" light for both the driver and the oncoming traffic? I'd like to have brighter lights, especially high beam, but don't want to blind the oncoming drivers, as happens to me so often nowadays.

If I can't find bulbs that fill both specifications then I'll stick with my standard H6054's, but I'm hoping that some headlight fanatic can help those of us to 'dim' to sort through all the choices and rhetoric out there.

craig333

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately car headlights aren't like flashlights where you can toss in the latest cree model and have a brighter better light. The pattern is more important than the amount of light. Simply swapping to a different bulb (unless you have a good design already) won't do what you want and may even make it worse.

You have to remember our government doesn't much like regulation and is fine with letting them sell whatever they want. Blue bulbs that do nothing but decrease usable light and distract drivers? Fine with us.

My personal experience. My jeep with the e-codes you can see a difference with a higher wattage bulb. My dodge truck I've tried a number of aftermarket bulbs and they do nothing but lighten my wallet.