• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

COOL MULE

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know I am late in getting on the mule band wagon. In fact I am not sure I am on a bandwagon.

Here is where I am at.
When I say Don hand a for sale sign for the current crop of MULES which are made form Aluminum with a very cool surface treatment. I figured I had better dive in. I have sort of been OFF buying the expensive titanium flashlights which Don so beautifully makes. Don't get me wrong I love TI as much as the next guy in fact I was into TI way before the average flashohollic.
I just couldn't justify the cost of buying more of them since I have a bunch several of which are quite rare.
I love Don's work. I like it just as much in TI as I do in aluminum.

So to make a long story short I was very pleased to see that Don had produced a mule in aluminum. Not just any Mule but a new model one which is unique. Great!!
So I bought one. I figured I would toss a LE from another aleph into the thing. I found a LUX V LE and used that. With great results. The Lux V produces a very nice beam in my Mule. One problem is that it is not efficient. it runs VERY hot after a few moments. The light level is a little high as well for the purpose of the Mule....for close up work and reading.
I read and re read the Aleph thread and saw the LE which Don recommends for the Aleph mule. My problem is that it is a very expensive LE and at the moment the Writers strike prevents me from working as a sound mixer....So no cash available for expensive LE.
I asked around and found a person (who shall remain nameless unless they choose to speak for themselves) Who has done a fair amount of R and D in the area of Light engines. I asked them if they had something suitable for a mule and some what less expensive than the shoppe offering.
I received a message several days later saying No they did not except for an LE with a Nichia emitter. I about died and went to heaven. This was EXACTLY what I was looking for. I got lucky.

The Nichia's tint is not warm. But is is very nice and white. It doesnt run HOT but stabilizes at ( I will measure it one of these days).
The light is nice and even across the entire beam. As expected.

I really feel like I have been lucky in that I finally was able to get a mule...in an affordable material as well as a perfect Light engine for it.
In the process I have been learning about the virtues of an unfocused beam especially for close up work and photography. ( I have a cool Nikon led ring light made for my old 990 which is amazing for the cool macro mode the 990 has. I will experiment with the Mule for macro work. The key to the mule's light in macro work will be the deep shadow that it will produce which is not present in the ring light. Another tool for another look. How cool is that?

The Aleph mule opens a wider world of aleph LEGOS. The aleph line was designed to be played with and LEGOIZED. the mule just adds to this.

I can't wait for the Head which is being sent ot me by a very generous Offer so I may make my wife a Mule based flashlight. She doesn't know yet but I know she will be thrilled. I can't even tell you guys how excited she was when she saw the beam out the front of the Mule. I don't believe I have ever seen her as excited about a flashlight beam. So I can't wait to make her her own.

I have been using a Milk spit milky tester for late night reading for a long time. the beam is very similar to the mule with it's new LE.
It is too large to be a really comfortable reading light I have always struggled with the Milky tester (I have the old one and the "New" one).
The Mule is much easier to read with to be sure.

Anyway thanks fro reading my little rant. I have a history of cranking these out when I get excited about a new light. My mule will not become my EDC (still a Seoul PD-s (the first I believe since I was the knucklehead beta tester) ). and I also carry a Novatac EDC 120 (a light I really like a whole bunch) . But the Mule will find itself working in and around the house with me living beside me on the book shelf by my bedside.
And of course I will shoot some pictures with it and see how that goes.
OK have a great New Year.
Yaesumofo

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yaesu, milky tester? Do you mean Milky Candle? :thinking:

Sorry, just a little confused here... which isn't all that uncommon!