Real Life use - E1L/KL1 head and 6P/G2's with P60L's

Beastmaster

Enlightened
There are times where having EDC lights that kick some really good tail are nice. There's times where having killer lights that kick even more tail are nicer. I and some of my family members had a chance to use great lighting tonight thanks to an unplanned event.

Today was a pretty uneventful New Years - family and food and visiting over at my mom's house. Until evening hit...then it was interesting.

To describe the area I was in, my mom's house is in the North Phoenix area. Despite it's heavy population, there are parts where it's still undeveloped/green belts or where there's lots of houses but zero lighting other than the occasional backyard porch light that's maxed out with a 75 watt bulb.

Well - A neighbor's kid was lost. Slightly autistic, he has a tendency to wander sometimes, but generally not far. He's not one to go off someplace for a long time, so a bunch of us were asked to get together to see if we can find him.

At 7:30, it's decently dark. And being that my mom's area is a more established and older area, it's got sparse sodium vapor lighting every 1/4 mile on the street. Green belt areas have zero lighting save for what little eeks out of the street, the backyards and over the walls that butt up against it. We all figured he wandered into the green belt area.

A small collection of the neighbors gathered, and everyone had a flashlight. I lent my E1L to my mom, my brother had his XMas gift (a G2L), I had my well worn 6P with P60L from my truck, and my wife had her E1L. Everyone else had MagLites to your traditional 2D cell plastic Eveready units.

Well, for those people who have decried the P60L lamp assembly - let me tell you that it WORKS. I was able to light up things down the distance of 1 1/2 to 2 backyard lengths (each lot in the area averages to about a quarter acre). Very good throw, and a decent corona spill for flood.

The E1L's (equipped with unregulated 16340's) did nearly as well - at least 1 1/2 backyard lengths. Decent throw, and the TIR lens produced a ring of light to where my mom and wife could see where they were walking.

All four flashlights were able to reach into unfenced backyards and light up things so much and so well - it was very impressive. Words couldn't really describe it...things just worked.

Funny thing - we were searching for about 20 minutes when he just walked into his home. According to his mom - he decided to wander down the street to the area quickie mart, then decided to sit there drinking his drink, refill it, drink it down again, refilled it, then walked home. (I hate to be his bladder after that).

After we were all done - comments from my mom's neighbors were pleasant. They were so amazed at how 4 flashlights that were way smaller than theirs produced tons more light then theirs did. I dare say that some of them will become converts.

I was very pleased at the real world performance of the lights. This was the first time that I've had the opportunity to use the P60L and the E1L's in it's intended use. I knew that if I was using the old P60 incan, it would have done the job. I'm happy to say that the P60L did it much better.

For those of you who fear that the P60L isn't up to snuff - it's definitely far better than the incan version. So much so that I highly recommend it for those that are fearful of non-OEM mods.

Admittedly, I have a Q5 Malkoff drop in for my SureFire on it's way - so as soon as I get it, I will go back to the same area that I walked and will test it out. I bet it'll blow my socks off! Either way - hooray for LED's! You've passed the litmus test for me.

-Steve

FiftyCalAl

Newly Enlightened
Cool! Glad you got to do a "real world" evaluation. And you WILL love the Malkoff (hate to tell you though, you'll wind up buying more than just one:naughty:)

Alan

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Hehe.....if I do, I do.

I know someone will snap up the P60L's. Or - I'll find some P to E conversion rings, and some P series heads, and mod up some 1x123's using the P60L's.

They won't go to waste! And I'm likely going to at least buy one more Malkoff - likely the 1x123 variant that he's considering throwing together to fit the 3P...

I'm just glad that I got a chance to use it in a real situation - not doing white wall crap.

There is something to be said for real world usage. Nothing beats it.

-Steve

ynggrsshppr

Newly Enlightened
My favorite kinds of posts are real life stories from flashaholics. Thanks for sharing :D

Lumens are really overrated IMHO. We've already passed the point in which LEDs can produce useful amount of light with good runtime. I think the P60L is a great addition to the SF line. You get a good amount of light, nice runtime and the reliability of a SF product. What's not to like?

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Well, there is paper stats, and real life usage.

Paper stats help - I would never generally consider anything under 25 lumens as useful - but SF proved me wrong with the E1E.

I really hope people can post more real life usage of lights. It is subjective - but we need that subjectivity to help make decisions. Heck - even if there was a separate subforum to do that, it would be cool.

-Steve

bigfoot

Enlightened
Very nice story with a happy ending, thanks for sharing. We're all guilty of being "white wall hunters" but usage in the real world is a thousand times more telling. Good to know that SF 6PL I just got for Christmas will be able to hold its own.

:twothumbs

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Great post about using a light for a real reason.
I would always keep 1 P60L in a 3 cell surefire for the great runtime!

UWAK

Enlightened
Where I can get the P60L? Other than their site, of course. Cheers!

Frids