MRV-SE/Epsilon - DBS - Tiablo A9s

Zenster

Enlightened
I just took delivery of a new MRV-SE/Epsilon that's advertised as a "265+ lumen" light.
I already had the DBS and Tiablo A9s.

Well, I loaded them all up with fresh batteries and had some fun in the back yard, and I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed in the MRV.
It was CLEARLY not on par with either the DBS or A9s with regard to overall light output nor to brightness of the centerbeam, especially considering the claim of 265+ lumens for the MRV.
I only expected the MRV to be about equal to the other two lights, but it's definitely of a lesser light output.

From the standpoint of appearance, the MRV-SE looks more like I would expect the "220 lumen" model to look compared to the 250+ lumen models of the DBS and the A9s.

So before I ask the question of the dealer about whether perhaps I was shipped the wrong light (but paid the big $$$ for the SE), I'm wondering if others have these same lights and what their opinions are about the MRV-SE "Special Edition" 265+ lumen light.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. I'll be interested to hear other's experiences with this light. I got tired of waiting for Lumapower to offer a Q5 LE upgrade for older MRVs and modded my own Q5 and am very happy with the result.

I was looking forward to the promised 1.1 A/4 watt LE but if this is typical I may pass as the other modes don't interest me...

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I exchanged mine for a different light at Batteryjunction after mine had a tailcap problem. For the short time I had it, I would say it was about as bright as the Tiablo A8Q5. The spillbeam was not quite as bright as the Fenix T1. Its narrow spot of course threw much farther.

The main advantage it had over the Tiablo was the ability to have multiple levels with a forward switch. I do not think it had any brightness advantages.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the MRV Q5 may have the advantage of multiple modes with a forward clicky over the Tiablo, it costs considerably more. And with the DBS or Spear, you can also have multiple modes with a forward clicky. Personally, I can't justify the price of the LP MRV and M1 lights when there are other offerings that have equal or better performance and on par quality.

Zenster

Enlightened
Personally, I can't justify the price of the LP MRV and M1 lights when there are other offerings that have equal or better performance and on par quality.

... and you call yourself a "Flashaholic".

I don't think so :poke: :D

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
I just took delivery of a new MRV-SE/Epsilon that's advertised as a "265+ lumen" light.
I already had the DBS and Tiablo A9s.

Well, I loaded them all up with fresh batteries and had some fun in the back yard, and I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed in the MRV.
It was CLEARLY not on par with either the DBS or A9s with regard to overall light output nor to brightness of the centerbeam, especially considering the claim of 265+ lumens for the MRV.
I only expected the MRV to be about equal to the other two lights, but it's definitely of a lesser light output.

From the standpoint of appearance, the MRV-SE looks more like I would expect the "220 lumen" model to look compared to the 250+ lumen models of the DBS and the A9s.

So before I ask the question of the dealer about whether perhaps I was shipped the wrong light (but paid the big $$$ for the SE), I'm wondering if others have these same lights and what their opinions are about the MRV-SE "Special Edition" 265+ lumen light.

Are you using CR125s or an 18650? The MRV is MUCH brighter with the CR123s than an 18650. I have/had the same trio (all latest Q5 models), and my MRV was the best of the three for both beam pattern (personal preference), and throw.

There are several threads around here showing throw comparisons between these three lights and several show the remarkable difference between the MRV on CR123s and an 18650.

Have a great day!
John C.

sorgun

Newly Enlightened
:oops:I only have the Spear to compare with my MRV-SE/Epsilon, and with 18650's the MRV has an edge to my eyes. I'll try it with two 16340 tonight, when I walk my dog in the woods, and se if it makes a difference. :cool:

Zenster

Enlightened
Are you using CR125s or an 18650? The MRV is MUCH brighter with the CR123s than an 18650. I have/had the same trio (all latest Q5 models), and my MRV was the best of the three for both beam pattern (personal preference), and throw.

There are several threads around here showing throw comparisons between these three lights and several show the remarkable difference between the MRV on CR123s and an 18650.

Have a great day!
John C.

Well, I think you're right.
I was comparing the three lights using 18650's in the DBS and MRV, and with CR123's in the A9s (the A9s is well known to be best optimised for use with CR123's).

So I just went out and switched out the 18650 in the MRV for CR123's and lit it up to compare it again against the Tiablo.
And whad'ya know... The MRV now appears to be IDENTICAL in output to the A9s (which is all I was expecting anyway). As a slight plus for the MRV, I can say that it's center beam is a little warmer than the Tiablo which is a nice touch. It's kind of fun to have similar lights but to have them be just a little different from each other in some way.

But that in itself is a big disappointment because the main reason I wanted the MRV-SE was to eventually run it with the M-65 Extender for use with 2x18650's in order to get huge runtimes.
On the other hand, the MRV isn't exactly a slouch either with the 18650; it's just that I would have hoped it would perform at 100% with the batteries I intend to use it with most of the time.

But in the end, I'm happy.
I've got the A9s as a great thrower to be used primarily for power-out "backup" situations at home since it runs best on CR123's.
I've got the DBS with both 2SD and 2SM modules for use primarily as a rechargeable light and also as a backup CR123 light with the 2SM module.
And I've got the MRV-SE which will be a great long runtime light with the M-65 tube stuffed with 18650's, but also as a backup light for use with CR123's in it's original form for backup.

A note I'll add about the MRV is that it's build quality is right up there at the top, almost as good as the Tiablo which I consider to be the best "quality controlled" of all the Chinese lights I have.

I'll also say that I wish the MRV had a memory feature similar to the 2SD and 3SD modules from Deree (I have a 3SD in my CL1H).
While not "terribly" annoying, clicking through the multi-levels of the MRV on low mode seems to be needless and pointless now that I've seen how cool the memory feature works on the Deree's.
For me, however, I find that I only use the MRV on the high setting anyway so it's mostly a singly stage light for me anyway, with the very nice option of the other light settings in the low mode whenever I might want them.
And one more thing; the lowest brightness setting in the low mode of the MRV is REALLY LOW. I thought it was too low, at first, but I now see that it's really handy for map reading and such because it doesn't blow away your vision.

I may add some more comments about the MRV-SE Special Edition later as I think of them, but I invite other owners of this light to add to this MRV-SE thread anytime they want.

Last edited:

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
But that in itself is a big disappointment because the main reason I wanted the MRV-SE was to eventually run it with the M-65 Extender for use with 2x18650's in order to get huge runtimes.

I suspect that the MRV with two 18650s in series will be as bright (or possibly even a little brighter), as the 2xCR123s since the available voltage will be (approximately), 7.4 volts vs. 6.0 volts for the 2xCR123s and 3.7 volts for the single 18650.

Have a great day!
John C.

gesteenbergen

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Tiablo A9S for my dad, and a MRV SE Q5 for myself. I did a one on one comparison in my parents backyard and didn`t really notice any difference in output or throw. Both were on primaries.
We prefer the tactical forward clickie, which was in favor of the MRV SE, but i ordered one for the tiablo at battery junction. Did not install it yet.
It`ll make the A9S a single stage thrower, which for us is no problem, but i can imagine others prefer a bit more versatility.
Personally the MRV SE gives me a better feel. I do agree it`s expensive, and i would probably go for a 2nd generation DBS R2 at this moment.
But i need to slow down my refresh rate:whistle: