30watt HID project BATTERY HELP!!!

knifebright

Enlightened
Hello All
I'm embarking on a project with a 30 watt self contained HID bulb/ballast from trailtec.

the unit calls for 12+ volts and its basically plug and play.

SCMR16 HID light with pivot handlebar clamp. Handlebar clamp fits 7/8" through 1-1/8" handlebars and pivots 30°. No warranty when used with other than 12 volt systems. Spot beam. Accepts 12-30 volts. Draws 30 watts per light. 13 ounces. 95x63x115mm. 5600K. 2400 foot candles. 26000 Lux. 12° beam angle.

So far no problem and i'm all good.

I'm planning on using the power of 4 Tenergy Tab'd 18650 cells.

My question is can set myself up with a pack that consists of 4 li-ion cells set up in a set of Parralell sets.

basically 4 series, 2 parralel (8 each 18650 total).
Im very versed in using li-ion, and modding but never have i tried a pararell set up so i'm looking for some "its OK to do", "no go" kind of help.

thanks all
JImmy

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jimmy, it's best you make it so you can individually charge each cells to ballance them after several dozen cycles.

That's what I did in my Elephant light.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
What form factor is this HID setup going to be? Have you considered Seald Lead Acid cell like comes in the larger lights like the Thors?

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Jimmy,

Is it safe to use? Yes.

Is it safe to charge back up after you use it? That is the question...

If you provide a way to balance parallel pairs of cells, you should have no problems. If you hook your pairs of cells in parallel, then connect the pairs in series, you could then find a 3S balancer and adjust your charge rate to accommodate the capabilities of the balancer.

There are actually several ways to do this, but I just wanted to give you a starting point.

Tom