Surefire C2

Kev

Newly Enlightened
Hey there,
I need an all-around flashlight. For EDC and general use.

From the Surefire website, it looks like the C2 is _the_ one... But are there better options?

From the first few pages, I read a lot of talk about the new A2... What's so great about it? Should I go with one of those?

Price isn't really an issue. Just nothing too expensive.

Thanks lots,
Kevin

Size15's

Flashaholic
Kev,
Welcome to CPF!

The general (universal?!) opinion is that the E2e-HA is the best EDC SureFire (incandescent in general?)
Why? It has a standard output lamp, and a lower output/longer runtime lamp option, and a regulated Luxeon bezel (KL1) option.
Wait! There's more!
This year, SureFire will be releasing a Clickie TailCap for the E Series as a result of many requests.
Also, a regulated 5 Watt Luxeon Bezel (KL4) is in the works.

So my personal opinion is that the E2e-HA is a flashlight worthy of serious consideration (and will not be out of date with the KL4 coming).

However, as an EDC and general flashlight, SureFire has it's new A2 which I have being EDC'ing since before Christmas 2002. In a nutshell, the A2 has a regulated incandescent bulb and three LEDs in the same reflector. The switch is two-stage for simple transition and options between the two outputs.
The regualted output of the incandescent bulb means it's output remains brilliant white during it's 50 minute runtime. It does not dim or yellow.
The LEDs (white as standard for now - more colour options soon), provide useful low output for times when the intense brilliance of the main beam would be inappropriate.

The A2 is a well balanced flashlight for pocketclipping and easy to carry and use. It provides more quality light for longer then the E2e with standard lamp.

The A2 is my current choice for EDC and general use without question.

I suggest you get the E2e-HA rather than the C2 if you don't feel you need the features of the A2 at the moment.

Respectfully,

Al

Kev

Newly Enlightened
Hey there,

The A2 sounds like what I'm looking for.
The E2e seems like a pure EDC. I'm mainly looking for an EDC, but I'll need something that'll serve well outdoors as well.

Where can I find details about the A2? The Surefire website seems to not have anything about it.

Also, what about the C3? I'm not sure what's wrong with the C2, but the C3 seems to be much brighter. 6.4" would be a lot to carry, but the extra power might make the extra inch worth it.

Thanks for the reply,
Kevin

Kev

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much.

So the A2 comes with 3 LED options? - Red, Green and Blue.

Or do those need to be bought seperately?

eelnoraa

Newly Enlightened
Al,

do you have any idea when we will be able to get a E2E with clickie talcap?

eel

Size15's

Flashaholic
Kev,
The A2 ships with White LEDs right now.
Red option will be released next.
Blue & Green should follow.

At this stage I believe we will have to buy whole A2's at least until enough LED rings have been made I suppose.
I have been "demanding" A2 "Pro-Packs" since the off.

eel,
No comment on that sorry.

Al

Kev

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the info, Al.

I was hoping to get the red LED immediatly because I've always looked for a red light.

I hope that the extra LEDs won't cost much more. The A2 is already twice the price as the E2e as it is.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Kev, there are some people who have got hold of red version already. Not sure how. I guess your best bet is to talk to SureFire directly.

Al

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Kev said:
Hey there,

...Also, what about the C3? I'm not sure what's wrong with the C2, but the C3 seems to be much brighter. 6.4" would be a lot to carry, but the extra power might make the extra inch worth it.

Thanks for the reply,
Kevin

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had the C3 for 8 months now and haven't really used it until the past month when I got rechargeable Li-Ion (Copias) for it. It is now very heavily used and has replaced my Surge for workhorse duties. The Li-Ion's give plenty of bright *white* light (about 45-50 minutes) and since they're rechargeable, I don't worry about battery cost anymore. I've recently got hold of 1200mAH Li-Ion which give close to 60 minutes of white light. I have an A2 on order and now having second thoughts about it. The Li-ion give a nice flat discharge output that the regulation offered by the A2's are diminished somewhat in value for me. However, being a true flashaholic, I'll still get the A2's just because. Get the C3 and some Li-Ion and I don't think you'll be sorry. True it's about 6.4" but 105 lumens with rechargeables make it worthwhile. As for the A2, I'll reserve judgement when I get mine.

cheers,

CM

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kev: it would be most ideal if you could handle the lights yourself and decide whether you mind the extra size of the C2. i had an E2e and M2 before i finally settled on a C2.

the M2's bezel was too large for me to carry around comfortably and discreetly, and i didn't find the E2e too practical cos of personal reason (e.g. bezels sometimes leak, O-ring squeeze problem, etc).

i like the C2 because i find the grip ring very useful. it allows you to grip the light in the combat position, which is very comfortable. even if you hold it in the normal overhand position, the grip ring does a very good job of preventing the light from slipping if wet or if your hands are sweaty.

the pocketclip allows you to clip it to the inside of your pocket comfortably and the clip is reasonably secure. you can also add an extra O-ring to the tailcap-end of the body of the C2, which would make it more reliably waterproof, a big plus to me.

one of the reasons for the E2e's immense popularity is due to its dimunitive size, but the C2 does have lots to offer in return for its (slightly) larger size /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif of course, YMMV so i'd still recommend handling each model before you make a decision. if you decide you don't like the E2e, you can't go wrong with the C2. i carry mine everyday, and i love it!

Kev

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies.

I still haven't totally decided on which model to go with. I'd love to buy two or three and just rotate everyday, but cost is a concern.

The A2 sounds great, but the consistant beam and LEDs just aren't worth the loss of power and, especially, the cost.

The E2e seems nice and the price is right. But I might want something more powerful.

The C2 with the 120 lumen bulb seems to fit the bill, but batteries are a concern.

The Rechargable Surefires are huge. They're all about 2 inches too long. (I prefer to carry a 5.5" max flashlight.)

The C3 with the 200 lumen bulb would be awesome... But size and cost...

I'd love to handle each of these models before I buy, but I'm still in the process of finding a store in Toronto that carries so many models.

(And self defense is a factor. I'd like the flashlight to be able to handle well with a knife, but all the Surefires seem to have this already in mind.)

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kev: if self defence is a factor, then you might want to go with a C3. reason being some people find the longer C3 useful as a kubotan/yawara stick. some people find the C3 ugly, but personally i'm ok with it. besides, you still get the features of the C2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif add to that the 200 lumen output of the C3 hola, and it should have enough power to visually stun someone.

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Kev, if you hang around here long enough you'll know the CPF motto: get 'em all!

There's a neat little GG&G TID adapter that would fit a C2 for defense purposes. It looks menacing too.