Best D cells for a Malkoff 2-3-4 D dropin?

tedjanxt

Enlightened
Title pretty much says it all. I'm leaning towards rechargeables, although that means I need to buy a charger and 4-pack :)

tedjanxt

Enlightened
How often do you use it?

Thats the kicker. The dropin just became available today. I dont even have it yet!

I have a bunch of alkies leftover from, last years camping trips, but I suspect in my glee with my newfound toy Ill drain those quick, so I want replacements on the way :)

Greg G

Enlightened
I'm going to buy a Maha 808M charger and some Accupower LSD batteries soon. Probably order them next week from Thomas Distributing.

I haven't seen much talk of those batteries here.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast

Probably because they're pretty expensive. When they get down to about $5 each, you'll probably see more talk.

Last edited:

Rommul

Enlightened
I'm going to buy a Maha 808M charger and some Accupower LSD batteries soon. Probably order them next week from Thomas Distributing.

I have a maha 808 and 2 Accupower D and 8 Accupower C cells. I highly recommend these cells and this charger. The cells are fantastic.

I have couple of 1 D lights built by Icarus with RV7 drivers and these D cells. The LSD characteristic of these cells is exactly as advertised.

Highly recommended.

mr.squatch

Enlightened
My latest Malkoffs (out of 4) are running in a 1d host on four AA eneloop rechrgeables. I figured it'd be just as bright, but that I'd get limited runtime. I can't believe these things, both lights run almost four hours continuously. When I first got the battery packs I wanted to run them down then charge em back up for a few cycles right off the batt but I couldn't hardly kill em. haha. I'm actually considering running AA eneloops in the D spacers in all my led Dmags. I think if I went with four of the 10000 mah D's the thing would run continuously for a week. Eesh.

g

Darkpower

Newly Enlightened

I bought 6 of those D cells and 6 C cell and I also have the Maha 808 8-bay charger.

I generally use the Tenergy Ds which are rated at 10,000 mA and are a lot cheaper.

The accupowers are expensive expensive expensive is all I can say. I've got 6 of those LSD Accupower Ds sitting on my desk and when I think I spent $72 for six D cells and $50 for 6 C cells I am having second thoughts. I could have bought about 80 alkaline Duracell D cells at the wholesale club for $72.

Anyhow, they are on their 2nd cycle and its too soon to tell if they live up to the price. Frankly all the NiMh D and C cell, full capacity batteries are expensive.

Zenster

Enlightened
I've intentionally chosen my D-cell flashlights to be totally UNregulated.
(Maglite 3-D w/MT-III drop in, Blaster 1D, and others).

The reason is, my intent for those lights is all to do with power-out emergencies, so I want to be able to totally use up a D-cell in order to squeeze the last bit of use out of it.

So I use only Alkalines not only because they are cheap and give nice runtimes, but if I were to use rechargeables and run them as low as my lights will use them, I'd end up damaging those expensive puppies anyway.

Alkalines are too cheap (IMHO) and practical not to use them as my main D-cell power source.

rigormootis

Newly Enlightened
I use only Alkalines not only because they are cheap and give nice runtimes, but if I were to use rechargeables and run them as low as my lights will use them, I'd end up damaging those expensive puppies anyway.

Alkalines are too cheap (IMHO) and practical not to use them as my main D-cell power source.

+1 to all of that. My 3D mag with it's new Malkoff drop in just became my new house light.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got the Malkoff module installed in 3D Mag..

Great stuff...

I noticed it runs a bit brighter on NiMH vs. Alkalines. The latter are great in an emergency and do work well, but in lights that drain 1,000 mAh, which is what this lite does, I think NiMH can sustain the load better and longer.

The best brightness can come from 4xC NiMH I suspect.

I tried 4xC Alkalines and did not see any difference.

lumenal

Enlightened
The only way I saw any difference comparing 3 cells versus 4 cells with my Malkoff drop-in was to use another bright flashlight as a brightness standard. L2D in my case. And then do a ceiling bounce test between the two.

The 4 cell (obviously) is brighter.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to get some of these LSD Accupower cells, and try 4xC cell as well as the D cell. After 3 months, they self-discharge to 88%,not sure how good/bad it is.

Maha Powerex is awfully tempting though, but I don't know it's discharge rates.

overstock dot com appears to have better prices than thomas-distributing

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a malkoff but I use nicads(the original lsd battery)in a 4d magled and it works excellent. They are only 5 bucks apiece too.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing ...

I think there must be a reason why NiCads have died out and are replaced by NiMH type...