Small LED lanterns

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had about an 8-hour power outage during the big CA storms a couple of days ago. No sweat, I'm well-prepared, so we manage an 8-hour power no sweat. But, in taking out my lanterns, I realized that they could use refreshing. I have two camping lanterns which use battery types that I don't stockpile, so once they're out, they're out. And, I have an old River Rock lantern using I think a 1W luxeon on 4 AAs ... still perfectly sound, but I figure there have been big updates since I bought that light many years ago.

Any recommendations on small battery-powered lanterns? I prefer AA lanterns, but AAA, 123A, C, and D all acceptable if they're really good.

Marduke

Flashaholic

tarponbill

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought a RiverRock 3xAA from Target. I use Eneloops in it. Plenty of the forum members suggested this lantern and batteries, they were right on both counts. It lasts for days on a single charge. Not too expensive and works well.

I am building up my hurricane kit for the next big one -- We lost power for 3 days during the last hit. I only had standard Maglites, they worked but not too well, especially for repairs when you had to hold the light and do the repair. Lanterns and headlights seem to fix that problem, I will find out when the next hurricane comes calling, I guess.

arty

Enlightened
I like the Energizer fluorescent lanterns. They run a long time and provide good lighting.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually have a Dorcy D-cell, I had no idea the Nite Ize drop-in fits, that is a stroke of genius. I had discounted that lantern because of the bulb, but with the Nite-Ize it's a fantastic solution, thanks Marduke.

Agree with you on the River Rock AA, tarponbill. It's the first lantern I reach for.

arty, I remember looking into fluorescent lanterns years ago when I started buying them for my kit, can't remember now why I never ended up with one... although it's coming back to me, I figured there was too high a chance of the kids breaking the bulbs...

Marduke

Flashaholic
That NiteIze will fit any PR2-6 type bulb except for those with reverse polarity (such as 6v F-cell type lanterns). But it's best used with at least 3 cells.

gilly

Enlightened
Within the last year I've purchased three types of LED lanterns for use around the house and in the cars for emergencies.

3 x AA LED lantern: I have one of these in each car with L91s in them and three more in the house with alkalines. Put out a decent amount of light and are very compact. Last March we had a Nor'Easter that took the power out at around 3AM. I awoke immediately and snuck into my kids' rooms and put one of these lanterns in each room. When they awoke (ages 3 and 4) they happily grabbed the lantern and came and found me - vice freaking out as in past outages!

They have a small ring on top and can be hung around your neck, from a fixture, etc. Advertised runtime is up to 125 hours. With L91s I'd bet on more than that. Got mine at Walmart for $9.99 each.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=5319-700&categoryid=1110

Next, I got a 4 x D-cell 12-LED lantern for my bedroom night stand. Bright enough to read by and on low lasts for over a week. A set of NiMh cells in it lasts me a couple of months with casual use. Heavy, but a good lamp to use in a large room. On high puts out a lot of light.

http://store.yahoo.com/theshorelinemarket/13012.html

In true CPF fashion, I had to have 'just one more'. I have a bunch of C-cell NiMh kicking around from my kids' toys that have long since broken! Figured I would try a 4 x C-cell lantern. Lighter than the D-cell model and not quite as bright, but very nice. I use it in the bathroom as a night light on low setting. The NiMh cells last about 1.5 weeks running it about 8 hours per night. Not too shabby.

http://www.eliteled.com/products/lanterns/jk-164c.html

I have noticed that there are some newer, brighter models coming out - but runtimes are not as great. Anyway - good luck with your search!

Last edited:

gilly

Enlightened
Definitely has its merits - very bright! But only 12 hours runtime on low....

I'd rather stick with the lower power, longer runtime models that will last multiple days for power outage situations...

Kostoglotov

Newly Enlightened

led4me

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

I have no experience with lanterns. Like the OP, I also suffered thru a 12 hour power blackout. For the led lanterns that have been recommended, some seem very bright and some very dim (with I assume longer run time). I was wondering which of the previously recommended lanterns will be good for the following case:

- can be place on dining table and be bright enough to play cards but not blind everyone (low glare)

Not having a lantern, I did a cieling bounce with a flashlight. I would like to be better prepared next time.

The sylvania lantern at Menards sounds interesting but no stores in CA.

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
My lantern "stable" consists of the River Rock 4AA and 3AA lanterns, Coleman 3AA twin-LED Micropacker and an Energizer 4D, 8-LED, Weather Ready lantern.

Don't forget the use of any multi-level headlamps you may have. I have 4 that can add additional illumination for many hours on low in place of a lantern.

gilly

Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering which of the previously recommended lanterns will be good for the following case:

- can be place on dining table and be bright enough to play cards but not blind everyone (low glare)

The 4 x D-cell 12-LED I mentioned above would work well for this situation.

ceramide

Newly Enlightened
I've burned through a lot of the AA LED lanterns with higher-end LEDS (mainly Cree's and Seoul's) that have been available in the last year or so. Of over a half dozen, Osram Dragon x 2, DealExtreme x 2, and two others - can't remember the brands - disappointingly, and rapidly, toasted themselves or didn't work from the get go. An Essential Gear K2 luxeon is bright and still functioning in the hay shed. However, the Coast 4AA LED that currently resides in the tool shed has definitely been my favorite. It's not the brightest overall, but it puts out the best quality of both light and pattern. And with the translucent white windows, there is no need to avoid looking into the lantern directly to avoid seeing stars that the clear window reflector models all have. So, I'm through with the Cree's and Seouls until someone fixes the heat sink issue (or maybe it's been the AA lithiums?). Given the Coast 4AA performance, their 4D is on my to-get list should the extra C-note become available.

Garand

Newly Enlightened
and an Energizer 4D, 8-LED, Weather Ready lantern.

I have one of these and I highly recommend them.

I forgot and left mine on in our cabin on a Monday night. It was Thursday night before I could get back over there to get it.

It was still on and as bright as it was before I left it.

Garand

Newly Enlightened
I forgot to add that it already had about 6 hours on the batteries before that event.

nutz_about_lights

Enlightened
I'm currently in a dilemma between the Coast SMALL 4AA lantern and the Osram golden dragon. I'm hoping to buy one of the above mentioned in preparation for blackouts and these will be used to provide temporary light for my study/reading books.

Do you think the 2 lanterns mentioned can provide sufficient light for reading when placed 3 feet away? Or even light up a small room? :thinking:

ceramide

Newly Enlightened
I'm currently in a dilemma between the Coast SMALL 4AA lantern and the Osram golden dragon. I'm hoping to buy one of the above mentioned in preparation for blackouts and these will be used to provide temporary light for my study/reading books.

Do you think the 2 lanterns mentioned can provide sufficient light for reading when placed 3 feet away? Or even light up a small room? :thinking:

***In my experience they both can. That leaves light quality and reliability/runtime. For the Coast 4AA see: post series 08-31-2007, 05:24 PM by DM51 (don't know how to stick in the link, Googling: Coast 4AA lantern using CPF search should get you there).