4 Sevens
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Milkyspit's MC2 Thread (also Milky Tester) Part II

Cool Re: Milkyspit's MC2 Thread (also Milky Tester) Part II

See you soon.

Enlightened

Default Re: Milkyspit's MC2 Thread (also Milky Tester) Part II

I am in for one. shoot me a pm if you move ahead with this please as I am sure I will forget about the thread. Thanks Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by nein166 View Post
    I'll take a flaming MC3 with 4X white extra efficient brightness.

Floody is always better in my opinion. And the Kingbright Orange in 3 levels would rock!
    This sums up what I want out of an updated Milky Candle: increased efficiency of 4x Nichia GS, Kingbright orange in three levels, and faux flame mode. Sweet.

Put me down for two.

Also, could my two older MC2s be upgraded to incorporate both multi-level back-up orange and faux flame?

Also, also, any update on my U2by2?

Scott's MIA for the holidays. Family time and all that.

I bet he'll be back by the end of next week.

hello Scott i will take one. so that should help get your part count up.
    thank you in advance

a.t.

edit: since i posted the above, i have become furloughed from work and am collecting unemployment i respectfully have to opt out at this time. sorry.

at

Happy New Year Everyone!

Hope everyone has enjoyed a restful and renewing holiday season. Sorry I've gone underground lately (or so it seems)... will try to answer some posts below, followed by updated lists and some GOOD NEWS on the projects!

Replies:

Quote Originally Posted by mrQQ View Post
    would you ship to Lithuania?
    mrQQ, Yes... as long as you're okay covering the shipping expense (not sure how much that would be), I have no problem with shipping to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
    Hey Scott

One of my MC2s is having a tiny bit of a problem was trying to PM you but your box is full
    Gizzy, I believe we've already taken care of this? If not, and if my PM inbox is ever full, you can always email me...

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. LED View Post
    You still with us Scott?
    Still with you, Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
    Hi Scott - Please add me in for a MC.

This just MHO, but I think it has plenty of efficiency and features already. If I had a "wish list", it would be

- Put a low Vf white Lux I or III in it and skip all of the little LEDs arrays.
    - Make the top more sealed up - perhaps pour in some clear epoxy
    - Put the LED dome below the top of the candle (protection)

At the current price point, I could manage for 2 each, but if you raise the price, I am probably out. I like it, but you are pretty much at my $ limit.

Thanks

HarryN
    Harry, you raise some good points, and I appreciate your honesty on the pricing... and will be honored to build for you. I've got you down for a pair of MC2 now, and noted your MC3 interest in that list, both below. Hope I got that right!

Regarding new features, the flame spoofing capability is something I've always wanted myself, and the multi-brightness backup (amber) LED actually makes the UI easier to understand, at least IMHO. The project has never been about gratuitous features and DEFINITELY is NOT about cluttering up an otherwise decent UI, so I'll only implement new capabilities if I'm first convinced through my own experimentation that things remain easy to understand. I do think I've got a good way to incorporate the above couple features in a way that makes good sense.

Regarding use of a high-powered emitter instead of arrays of 5mm, on the face of it that makes some sense... but in the past I've avoided the high-power approach due to some problems. For one, higher-powered LEDs cause the project's cost to spiral out of control, and this is one project where price has always been a factor... as it is, I think the pricing is too high! Don't want to do anything that would worsen the situation unless there would be a COMPELLING benefit. The high-powered LED (abbreviated as HLED from here onward) would also necessitate some sort of reflector or optic, increasing build complexity and raising both parts and assembly cost. One paradox in the MC2 builds is that this is meant as an area light, yet achieves it via ceiling-bounce... it's been my experience that diffused direct lighting doesn't work as well, plus it causes glare in the process. Meanwhile, ceiling bounce is not effective unless the beam hitting the ceiling in the first place is of sufficient intensity. The 5mm parts have what amounts to an optic built-in, solving the problem nicely. Then on the efficiency front (lumens per watt), an array of the best 5mm parts will match or exceed the performance of pretty much every HLED presently available... an array of HLED could do better, but that makes the pricing and optical issues even worse! Not saying I have a monopoly on the best of all possible designs, but it does seem to be a combination that largely gets the job done.

As far as pushing the envelope on circuit efficiency, after this next batch of 30x MC2 boards is assembled I'll need to order more boards anyway, so might as well incorporate whatever improvements might be out there while I'm at it. Maybe the price won't rise much, and if that's the case, all the better! I'd rather warn people right now of a possible increase in cost, though, and come back with good news rather than the other way around.

As far as sealing the top, it's something I've considered. Note the remainder of the light would still have issues... the threads on those PVC bodies are coarse and there's no easy way to seal them. Incidentally, any tips on how to pour clear epoxy into the heads without getting it all over the tops of the LEDs? For that matter, suggestions on a good choice of epoxy?

As far as LED dome below the top of the candle, the MC2 is already designed that way, except for a couple custom builds done at the request of cetain customers. No worries!

Thanks Harry, this is good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by astrotec View Post
    hello Scott i will take one. so that should help get your part count up.
    thank you in advance

a.t.

edit: since i posted the above, i have become furloughed from work and am collecting unemployment i respectfully have to opt out at this time. sorry.

at
    Astrotec, sorry to hear of your misfortune. No worries, I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by StrayLight View Post
    This sums up what I want out of an updated Milky Candle: increased efficiency of 4x Nichia GS, Kingbright orange in three levels, and faux flame mode. Sweet.

Put me down for two.

Also, could my two older MC2s be upgraded to incorporate both multi-level back-up orange and faux flame?

Also, also, any update on my U2by2?
    StrayLight, I just want to note that the MC2 itself isn't exactly a slouch... it's already at or near the top of the heap in terms of efficiency... no shame in using one of these! It's just that I tend to keep tweaking, making improvements, pushing the envelope where possible... guess it's my nature.

Most of the improvements mentioned above are applicable to the MC2 platform as well. The firmware enhancements are DEFINITELY applicable to both MC2 and the as-yet-vapor MC3, so no worries there.

On the U2by2 builds, which are off-topic here, I'll just say that I've knocked out maybe 6 more units over the past couple weeks and have roughly a dozen left, which I expect to have finished in the upcoming days. The machining, boring, etc., have already taken place, so hopefully the rest of the process will be fairly smooth. They do need to pass final burn-in testing, which is definitely not a done deal! Some will fail in burn-in testing... but all in all, your unit as well as those of pretty much everyone else ought to be on their way to their respective homes before much longer.

Anyway, on to the lists!

MC2 Commitments (a.k.a. "The List"):

Sgt. LED: 1x
    SierraCharlie: 3x
    Coyote223: 1x
    GottaWearShades: 1x (using 4x Nichia GS)
    icestud: 1x
    Ramplit: 3x
    sdeboy: 1x

TOTAL SO FAR = 13
    ENOUGH TO ORDER THE BOARDS! AS LONG AS ALL THE ABOVE FOLLOW-THROUGH.

MC3 Interest:

Ramplit
    Nein166
    s4biturbo
    coyote223
    PoliceScannerMan
    one417
    Illumination
    Geminidan
    JohnTz
    DDS
    just for fun
    StrayLight 2x

What's Next

Those who have committed to MC2 units, I'll need to take prepayment on those... please contact me at this email address so we can get things moving...

As for MC3, the early signs do seem encouraging as far as interest. Note that we'll need at least 100 boards built to make the run economically feasible, so there's still a ways to go, plus I need to finish off the MC2 project first... all in all, so far so good!
    Last edited by milkyspit; 01-08-2009 at 06:03 AM.
    --Scott

I would be up for one.
    Thanks
    Tim

Flashaholic*

I'll take one MC2.

Thanks and Happy New Year,
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by XFlash View Post
    I would be up for one.
    Thanks
    Tim
    Hi Tim, got ya. Please send your prepayment as soon as convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Drywolf View Post
    I'll take one MC2.

Thanks and Happy New Year,
    Frank
    Frank, you're the first MC2 prepay! You're listed as such below, and you're all set to receive a MC2 as soon as I've got the assembled boards. Could take a little while as I need the other prepays then need at least a couple weeks lead time to have the boards in hand, ready for final assembly.

Drywolf: 1x (PREPAID 20090103)
    Coyote223: 1x (PREPAID 20090103)
    sdeboy: 1x (PREPAID 20090104)
    GottaWearShades: 1x (using 4x Nichia GS) (PARTIAL PREPAY 20090104)
    Sgt. LED: 1x
    icestud: 1x
    HarryN 2x
    Xflash: 1x

TOTAL SO FAR = 15
    Last edited by milkyspit; 01-04-2009 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Updated "The List"
    --Scott

Scott!
    SemiOT: I want to pay for the Oilslick job. I don't think you ever gave a final price on the emitter swap and we haven't spoken about it since you got it and the goodie bag.

Here's why it's SemiOT: I want to prepay for an MC2 Kingbright orange with an array of GS 5mm's at the same time so can you give me a total total?

This'll be debit card funded............ Get back to me ASAP!
    Last edited by Sgt. LED; 01-04-2009 at 07:23 PM.

Thanks Scott!

Smile Re: Milkyspit's MC2 Thread (also Milky Tester) Part II

Thanks for the call Scott! Will PP after I cook us some dinner.
    Last edited by Sgt. LED; 01-05-2009 at 04:33 PM.

Update to the list...

Drywolf: 1x (using 4x Nichia GS) (PREPAID 20090103)
    sdeboy: 1x (using 4x Nichia GS) (PREPAID 20090104)
    icestud: 1x (PREPAID 20090105)
    Ramplit: 3x (PREPAID 20090105)
    Sgt. LED: 1x (using 4x Nichia GS) (PREPAID 20090105)
    HarryN 2x

TOTAL SO FAR = 15

Note: I should be able to build 25-30 MC2 units, after which the supply of boards will be completely exhausted! At that point I intend to devote any candle-related development effort to the as-yet-vaporware MC3.

Also, just want folks to know my posting about the MC2 does NOT in any way imply I'm not working on the various other projects here in the Milky Labs. The MC2 at this stage of development necessitates only a minor intrusion of time since most of the R&D took place previously... just need to get some parts inbound and eventually put the remaining units together... not all that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.
    Last edited by milkyspit; 01-06-2009 at 12:48 PM.
    --Scott

When are you NOT working on 15 lights and 2 side projects at the same time?

You're constantly working!

Oh and
    Last edited by Sgt. LED; 01-05-2009 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by milkyspit View Post
    Also, just want folks to know my posting about the MC2 does NOT in any way imply I'm not working on the various other projects here in the Milky Labs.
    That's great news Scott Email sent

Scott,
    If the MC3's are going to be say more than a couple months out, you can put me down for a MC2 now and keep me on the MC3 list for another as well.

Could I get my MC2 with the 4x Nichia GS and the Kingbright orange for the secondary.

Let me know and I will get the prepay to you asap!

Thanks!

-Todd
    Last edited by s4biturbo; 01-07-2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: i is ilitirit

Quote Originally Posted by brighterisbetter View Post
    That's great news Scott Email sent
    BiB, email replied.

Quote Originally Posted by s4biturbo View Post
    Scott,
    If the MC3's are going to be say more than a couple months out, you can put me down for a MC2 now and keep me on the MC3 list for another as well.

Could I get my MC2 with the 4x Nichia GS and the Kingbright orange for the secondary.

Let me know and I will get the prepay to you asap!

Thanks!

-Todd
    Todd, I'm adding you to the MC2 list. With the 4-LED array, the prepayment looks to be $59+10=$69, as well as maybe $5 to cover uninsured Priority Mail shipping. If you could get me a prepayment as soon as convenient it would be a big help.

You're still on the MC3 interest list, too, per your instructions.

s4biturbo: 1x (using 4x Nichia GS)

TOTAL SO FAR = 14

Note: I should be able to build 25-30 MC2 units, after which the supply of boards will be completely exhausted! At that point I intend to devote any candle-related development effort to the as-yet-vaporware MC3.

Also, just want folks to know my posting about the MC2 does NOT in any way imply I'm not working on the various other projects here in the Milky Labs. The MC2 at this stage of development necessitates only a minor intrusion of time since most of the R&D took place previously... just need to get some parts inbound and eventually put the remaining units together... not all that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.
    Last edited by milkyspit; 01-08-2009 at 06:08 AM.
    --Scott

Sweet!

My prepay is listed.
    Last edited by Sgt. LED; 01-07-2009 at 09:10 PM.

Flashaholic*

Hi Scott, I like the MC's, and I will probably kick myself, but for right now, I need to take myself off of the interest lists. Thanks
    Homebuilts - "BREEZE" RCR2 sidexside, "Tornado" 4 x 18650 side x side, Streamlight SL20x LED module (Custom BST Feeler Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
    Hi Scott, I like the MC's, and I will probably kick myself, but for right now, I need to take myself off of the interest lists. Thanks
    Harry, sorry to hear that... I've updated the lists.

Here's the current MC2 list...

Coyote223: 1x (using 4x Nichia GS) (PREPAID 20090103)

TOTAL SO FAR = 14

--Scott

Smile Re: Milkyspit's MC2 Thread (also Milky Tester) Part II

So Scott what are our options for the colored LED?

Just what you have on hand. I am hoping for the orange!

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. LED View Post
    So Scott what are our options for the colored LED?

Just what you have on hand. I am hoping for the orange!

Jon, I don't have many Kingbright orange left. However, if I run out I'll snag some replacements, whether more Kingbright or otherwise. I do have several colors on hand, among them red, red-orange, orange, amber, yellow, and some others that escape me at the moment. I suppose if you guys stick within that general spectrum (as listed above), I could mount whichever color you want as the backup LED.
    --Scott

Enlightened

Hey there Milky-
    I'd like to get my kel-lite back and for months have been trying to send you a message w/ no success.

Would appreciate hearing from you.

robbydob

Quote Originally Posted by robbydob View Post
    Hey there Milky-
    I'd like to get my kel-lite back and for months have been trying to send you a message w/ no success.

Would appreciate hearing from you.

robbydob

Rob, looks like you've been sending PM to my CPF inbox, but it's been full when you've tried. You could send email but it doesn't seem you have... admittedly could have missed it...

Please put "CPF" and your username somewhere in the subject line; that really helps!

I don't have your phone number or would call you.

Some Minor MC2 News

I have exactly ONE MC2 unit on hand... mine! And I cobbled it together from the dregs of parts remaining from the previous builds. Took the opportunity to mount a prototype 4-LED white array... the good news, it worked!

I did notice one thing that might need a little more attention on my part: with the 4-LED board I used for mounting, the fit is surprisingly nice... but it leaves little room for the fifth, amber (or orange or whatever) backup LED. What I may end up doing is mounting a 3-LED white array and installing the backup LED in the fourth position. Need to sleep on it before coming to any conclusions on what to do. The big picture, though, is encouraging!
    --Scott

Quote Originally Posted by milkyspit View Post
    Hi Tim, got ya. Please send your prepayment as soon as convenient.
    Hi Scott,
    Can,t seem to locate how much is the prepay amount.
    Thanks
    Tim

Flashaholic

Hi Scott...

proline

Default Nichia GS

I see a pattern in the prepay list...Nichia GS

What am I missing? When I went and searched it seemed that you get 10% more light at a cost of longevity. What's the gain in having them in the Candle, which would seem to have a goal of longevity? Sorry if I'm asking a commonly discussed question, feel free to point me in a direction.

Thanks

Help I'll take one.

Add me to the MC2 list. I'll take one of the stock ones. This is my first order from CPF. Looking back at the thread it appears to be $64.00 for basic MC2 shipped to US address? I assume I just paypal you that amount?

Thanks

Steve

Default Re: Nichia GS

Quote Originally Posted by ramplit View Post
    I see a pattern in the prepay list...Nichia GS

What am I missing? When I went and searched it seemed that you get 10% more light at a cost of longevity. What's the gain in having them in the Candle, which would seem to have a goal of longevity? Sorry if I'm asking a commonly discussed question, feel free to point me in a direction.

Thanks

Ramplit, by default all MC2 units built in the past couple batches have used Nichia GS as the white emitter, and it's the default in this one as well. I've been a little suspicious of the longevity issue, for these reasons...

1. The information I've received from various sources, including Nichia themselves, has been conflicting.

2. The LED is too new for anyone to have actual longevity data... all the speculation is based on estimates and/or accelerated aging, not on the results of actual aging in real, physical conditions.

3. Nichia in the past has understated the longevity of their LEDs (wish all manufacturers did that!) and their LEDs have shown a historical tolerance to overdrive... which combined with...

4. The MC2 does NOT overdrive these LEDs at all, and in fact, the multi-LED array will severely UNDERdrive the LEDs... suggests that...

5. Longevity in the MC2 will be just fine. Incidentally, the primary goal of the MC2 is longevity in terms of continuous RUNTIME, although it's also supposed to be a quality light in terms of long-term functionality, too.

So far, nobody has reported an MC2 having a white LED noticeably age, nor have I seen that in any unit I've used here. Granted, there simply hasn't been enough time to see such problems, but results so far at least have been encouraging. If yours ends up having an LED go bad due to premature aging (I'd imagine you would see the LED get more and more blotchy blue, as if the phosphor were burning away day by day), it's not such a big deal for me to replace it... you could even replace it yourself if you've got good soldering skills and are careful.

That said, the first runs of MC2 used Jeled 50K white LEDs, which remain good performers... not as efficient as the Nichia GS, but still better than most alternatives, even the Nichia CS. I'll use Jeled 50K for yours if you specify that, no price difference either way. I can even build a multi-LED array using the Jeled 50K. Let me know if that's what you want!

See the excellent 5mm white LED testing thread started by Jtr1962 for a plethora of terrific information on the efficiency of various brands of LEDs, as well as some overdrive testing and other data. Joe has done a great job, and continues to do so whenever he receives new samples to test. (Kudos to Joe!)

Anyway, hope the above helps with some of the background on LED selection.
    --Scott

Default Re: I'll take one.

Quote Originally Posted by W8HF View Post
    Add me to the MC2 list. I'll take one of the stock ones. This is my first order from CPF. Looking back at the thread it appears to be $64.00 for basic MC2 shipped to US address? I assume I just paypal you that amount?

Thanks

Steve

Steve, that sounds right. I'll add you to the list and you can get a prepay to me via Paypal as soon as convenient.

Here's the current MC2 list...

Coyote223: 1x (using 4x Nichia GS) (PREPAID 20090103)
    SierraCharlie: 2x (using 4x Nichia GS) (PREPAID 20090106)
    W8HF: 1x (PREPAID 20090111)

TOTAL SO FAR = 14

Last edited by milkyspit; 01-11-2009 at 06:05 PM.
    --Scott

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast