UCL lenses for Tiablo A8/A9 & LumaPower MRV. Shiny!

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
A quick and dirty micro review of the new UCL lenses for Tiablo A8/A9 and LumaPower MRV. I did the testing on my MRV with stock driver & CREE Q5 WG.

Throw at one metre with the light on RCR123 LiION

Stock glass lens: 19 460 Lux

Locally made lenses with
6 layers of AR coating on both sides: 21 380 Lux

UCL multicoated glass lens: 22 120 Lux

The stock lens on the left, no evidence of AR multicoat, if there is any AR coating it is a clear type. In the middle my locally made lens with green multicoat. On the right the new UCL with blue multicoat.

Bild012.jpg

My MRV with the new UCL lens installed. Here with my RaidFire Spear.

Bild014.jpg

The lenses are available here:
http://www.flashlightlens.com

41.8 mm X 1.85 mm. $6.25.

A much recommended extra for your MRV or Tiablo. It does increase the output a little bit, and it enhances the appearance of the lights. Most stock lenses look muddy in comparison.

Stefan

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Stefan I noticed yesterday these were available. Thanks for the review. Looks like it's time to order a few. Does the same lens fit the Spear? If so, Do you get an improvement in lux numbers? Thanks

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Stefan I noticed yesterday these were available. Thanks for the review. Looks like it's time to order a few. Does the same lens fit the Spear? If so, Do you get an improvement in lux numbers? Thanks

Hi,
no, these lenses do NOT fit the RaidFire Spear, the Spear have a smaller lens.
Stefan

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I requested this size some time ago, glad to see them in! Order placed.

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Selfbuilt & Thujone,

Yes, these are very nice. See the progression of the reflection in the first picture; from almost a mirror reflection of our kitchen halogen light in the stock MRV lens to a blue ghost on the UCL lens! That's a major difference in light transmission when the reflexivity of the glass varies that much.
Stefan

Kraid

Enlightened
The first thing I noticed about my A9 stock lens is that its so clear it doesn't even seem to have a lens...

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Amazing! I'm very surprised at the difference in figures. I'm going to order a couple right now.

Thanks Stefan

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dereelight should be offering AR coated lenses soon. They should offer about a 5% increase in output, which is about what Stefan is finding with his tests between a plain glass lens and a AR coated lens. So about a 1,000LUX gain at 1 meter in lights that are in the 20,000LUX range.

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
...So about a 1,000LUX gain at 1 meter in lights that are in the 20,000LUX range.

On my 2 MRV lights it's actually a ~10-12% increase in output. On other lights with better lenses it would be smaller, eg. on my Tiablo A9 & A8 the gain is about 5-7%.
Stefan

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks WadeF,I thought the DBS allready had AR UCL installedd :shrug:
Dereelight should be offering AR coated lenses soon. They should offer about a 5% increase in output, which is about what Stefan is finding with his tests between a plain glass lens and a AR coated lens. So about a 1,000LUX gain at 1 meter in lights that are in the 20,000LUX range.