Have Emerson lost the plot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

strideredc

Enlightened
Just wanted to see what you guys (and girls) think about Emerson knives replacing the non locking liner with stainless steel instead of using titanium?

For me I think it's a bad practice and cheapens a good brand.

I have been using Emerson knives for ages and have liked the styles and the build and am really put off with the thought of a half steel and half ti handle.

The reason for this is the rising cost of ti, I would say just put up the cost?

I wonder how much the side liner of an Emerson knife 'REALY' costs $5, $10, I would say less???

I was going to post this on USN and then remembered if I did I would be banned in 2 seconds flat for deviating from the status quo…

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a stainless liner from another maker. I forget what the steel actually is, however, it is quite robust. Having been made in the later 80's, it is still locking at a nice point. The 6-4 Ti I use, after a long service life, I peen the lock to adjust the engagement point. Both these knives have seen heavy use though.
If I had a choice, I'd prefer Ti.

If the buyer is willing to offset the additional materials cost, I don't see why it can't be made for all Ti.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
I hvent bought any Emersons.

Main reason is that on a right handed knife, they grind a left hand chisel grind.:duh2:

Emailed them a number of times to see if they would consider doing the grinds on the right hand side, and the only responce I got ( finally after too many attempts) was that it was for cosmetic reasons as that is the side photo's are taken on :confused:

Chisel grinds should be on the "right hand side" for a right handed knife.

Any company that wont talk openly to the end line user aren't worth it IMHO.

they should take a leaf out of Spyderco's book, on how to treat customers.

Unanswered emails is just plain rude, I emailed them on other topics and Ideas, and they just went unanswered.

On the Ti scale issue, Why not charge more? there are still people willing to buy them ( supprisingly to me)

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ti costs have skyrocketed to the point where it's becoming cost prohibitive for a company like EKI or Benchmade can buy sufficient quanities to make the large number of knives offered with Ti.

I'm not a huge fan of Emerson's stuff, but do own a CQC-13.

Benchmade's Dejavoo uses a 1/2 Ti/SS set-up.

I wonder who the Ti shortage will eventually effect Chris Reeve (Sebenza) or Mission Knives, down the line...

-dan

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a major difference functionally on a production knife between Ti and SS? I honestly don't know, but I would doubt it (semi-educated guess).

Now on a custom or semi-custom, I'd think the knifemaker could charge a premium for the Ti linerlock.

Knowing just a little about Emerson, it seems that they are sure this change will not cause any structural integrity issues in their knives. Given their reputation I'd tend to agree with them unless proven otherwise.

Didn't this change go into effect earlier in 2007? If it did, I'd think we'd have heard if this caused any structural issues by now.

strideredc

Enlightened
'Emailed them a number of times to see if they would consider doing the grinds on the right hand side, and the only response I got ( finally after too many attempts) was that it was for cosmetic reasons as that is the side photo's are taken on '

Really, that's crazy. I did have a cqc7 and I liked the knife but I couldn't get on with the grind at all and it's defiantly (imho) on the wrong side!

'I wonder who the Ti shortage will eventually effect Chris Reeve (Sebenza) or Mission Knives, down the line...'

If this is the true reason then it will be interesting to see what happens???

'Knowing just a little about Emerson, it seems that they are sure this change will not cause any structural integrity issues in their knives. Given their reputation I'd tend to agree with them unless proven otherwise.'

I bet you are 100% right and in fact ss is probably stronger than ti in this application. One thing is that is not as rust resistant as ti. This will only matter in the extreme end use of the knife and who (being totally honest) buys a $200 knife and leaves it in a bucket of salt water?

My point was I thought it was somehow cheapening the brand and what used to be 'the best materials they could offer' are now being replaced by a cheaper alternative

Also I just looked at the website and saw they are still saying ti and not ti/ss?

Handles
Black G-10 epoxy / glass laminate
Liners
Aerospace grade Titanium
Blade
154 CM
Finish
Black Finish
Grind
Conventional V Grind

Overall Length
Blade Length
Blade Thickness
.125 in.
Hardness
57-59 RC

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't bought Ti in a long time having stocked up for my uses. Good deals at the time was ~$11 a pound, now it is 5-6X last I heard. For as many knives that come off the production line, that will be a significant increase.

Yes, the chisel grind was done for cosmetics as many of my knife making buddies have stated in the past. Simply, the logo doesn't seem to appeal to many when on the flat side. When you buy a custom, it's no big deal though. Personally that blade shape aesthetically looks fine in a traditional bevel as done for centuries by the Japanese sword makers.

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
This is hardly the first time, and likely not the last, that Emerson has made decisions about their knife designs based on either economics or aesthetics. Personally, I'm a lot more concerned about functionality, but maybe that's just me.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Ernest Emerson has some explaining to do!

I have a real problem with them still advertising the titanium liners. This is totally unethical. People have a right to know they are not paying for titanium.

Also, it took them almost a year to start to tell only some people in the knife comunity.

I no longer trust Emerson. This is lying about the materials of your product.

I agree that if you ever posted this on USN, It would explode!

I will not buy anymore Emerson knives. I feel bad because I used to love them.

Very sneaky, I wonder if the people he deals with in the military community would like to know what he is doing? Just look what he is doing to people serving in the US armed forces, they are being ripped off.

This will go down bigger than what Mick Strider lied about.

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Also, I have a problem with them telling us tanium costs too much for his his knife liners that soldiers lives may depend on, then he has the nerve to make guitar picks out of it. Guitar picks?

And guitars? Come on...

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Ti is getting more expensive, lately. That means E. Emerson will have to either increase the prices of his knives, or take a smaller cut. '

I don't see any problem with using stainless for liners. The Spyderco Military uses stainless liners and (some older models only have a liner on one side!) and there are some that have been in service for 10+ years without fail. Don't think the change from Ti to SS means much besides bling factor and added corrosion resistance... which I've yet to have a problem with.

There are definitely a few EKI's ground on both sides. The CQC Snubby, for one. Really nice, solid knife, with excellent ergos. It's on my list...

jbosman1013

Enlightened
personally I am happy he is switching I keep having problems with my TI locks, like sticking so bad you need you need a butter knife to pry it back or after just getting it back from service the lock travels over 75% of the back of the blade and that only took two weeks of use. I never had any problems like this with a SS liner.

carrot

Flashaholic
The EKI lock-side liner is still Ti.

I have no problems with the only Ti lock I have. The Sebenza's lock doesn't have any galling problems at all.

Zackerty

Enlightened
I do not know Ernest at all...
Replacing Ti with SS is no big deal to me, as the weight difference is slight, the corrosion resistance is no sweat, and the 'thrill" of Ti is not an issue to me.

Ti is in short supply, and SS is easier to machine, grind, drill, mill etc.
His reasoning? No idea...

I guess what he should have done, is tell his customers what he decided to do, and even drop the price a teeny amount, if only to please...

And yes, Spyderco has the best customer relations around...

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why would titanium be better? Don't titanium liners have galling problems?

Telkin

Enlightened
I had a Super Commander made in 2007. Took it for camping and for 3 days it was exposed to the elements. I thought nothing of it until I returned home and found slight rusting on one side of the liner. Couldn't understand it as at the time of purchase I thought as always that it was Ti.

Turns out SS if exposed to the elements could rust after all. I've mostly cleaned it up with some WD40 as I stripped it apart but yes it was disappointing to me that no where was my Super Commander listed as having SS. Not terribly upset but definitely not satisfying.

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
Ok, for some reason, I must have missed this, but what basically seems to be going on is that Emerson has started using stainless steel for at the least, one side of the liners.
Without actually telling anybody or updating his website. Does that seem right?

One wonders if he dropped his prices since he's now using a cheaper material... Somehow... I think not.

guntotin_fool

Newly Enlightened
To me, too much of emerson is marketing, and not use and ergo's. Just my opinion, but they seem to develop a cult of personality that shields users from actually deciding that someone else makes better, more comfortable, more useful knives.

Status
Not open for further replies.