sub C size Q

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a 2/3 C is the same diameter but 2/3 the length of a C cell. So two of them will be longer than 1 D. But two 1/2 D cells will be about the same length as 1 D, so a pack made up of 1/2 D cells is a good way of getting more voltage into a D sized space. I believe the battery pack in a Mag Charger is made up of 5 x 1/2 D cells joined end to end to give a 6 V battery (5 x 1.2 V = 6 V).

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a full chart of battery dimensions for more cells than you could ever think of in the CPF WIKI here.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you do the math (2/3)D * 2 = 1(1/3)D so it is longer than 1D or about 1/3 longer. Easy.

mdocod

Flashaholic
right, if the question is about sub-C cells, then why are people talking about 2/3C cell?

A 2/3C cell (which isn't even part of the original question) is about 26x31mm. A Sub-C is about 23x43mm.

D cell is about 60mm length.
So 2x2/3C will fit the length of a D cell pretty close (a few mm over) while the 2xSubC will be far too long....

oh and BTW to correct something here, 1/2D cells are not half the length of a D cell, they are about 36-38mm depending on the brand. They should be called 2/3D cells but for some reason they are not. While 2/3D cells are about 44mm long and should actually be called 3/4D cells. I'm not sure why when it comes to D cells the fractions are so far from accurately representing ratio of size.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My apologies, I thought that sub-C and 2/3 C referred to the same thing, but I see I leaped feet first to the wrong conclusion.

There are C cells, which are about 26 mm in diameter and 50 mm long, and there are fractional C cells, which have the same diameter but are shorter (or longer). There can be 1/2 C, 2/3 C, 5/4 C and others.

There are D cells, which are about 34 mm in diameter and 62 mm long, and there are fractional D cells, which have the same diameter but are shorter (or longer). There can be 1/2 D, 2/3 D, 3/2 D and others.

Then there are sub C cells, which have a diameter less than C cells of about 23 mm and are about 43 mm long, and there are fractional sub C cells, which have the same diameter but are shorter (or longer). There can be 1/2 sub C, 2/3 sub C, 4/3 sub C and others.

I get the impression that the sub C size is unique to the RC hobby fraternity and is not otherwise an international standard.

Anyway, I stand corrected.

Rogue_monkey

Enlightened
wow thanks for all the quick replies. A lot of useful info re a simple question. Looks like i've got some playing around to do.

Thanks

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Surefire uses subC'sX3 for their L7, 8NX, 8AX, and 9AN lights. Streamlight uses 5XsubC's in the 20XP, and 20XP-Led, as well as the Stinger series (3XsubC's).

Bill

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a 2/3 C is the same diameter but 2/3 the length of a C cell. So two of them will be longer than 1 D. But two 1/2 D cells will be about the same length as 1 D, so a pack made up of 1/2 D cells is a good way of getting more voltage into a D sized space. I believe the battery pack in a Mag Charger is made up of 5 x 1/2 D cells joined end to end to give a 6 V battery (5 x 1.2 V = 6 V).

:oops: haha i was looking at the wrong reply :) my mistake..