Olight - S1R        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DX Cree Q5 star

Flashaholic

Default DX Cree Q5 star

I just received this Cree Q5 star from DealExtreme today and installed it in one of my flashlights to replace a Cree P4. I'm wondering if there is any way to tell if this really is a Q5? It has the 4 bond wires of other Q5s but I'm curious about the clear dome over the LED... all the pictures of the Q5 I've seen have had yellow domes.

Last edited by kwarwick; 01-08-2008 at 07:52 PM.

Default Re: DX Cree Q5 star

All new Cree leds have removed the phosphor colour surrounding the die. This is the latest Q5 led

WeLight
    All new Cree leds have removed the phosphor colour surrounding the die. This is the latest Q5 led

???? The latest Cree R2's that I just recieved do not look like this, they have the phosphor surrounding the die. Anybody else?

This LED was made at the retooled Cotco facility in China. It is a genuine Cree, and there is no performance difference from those made in the US with the phosphor coating over the lead frame. There is no way to request one version over the other, and everyone can expect to get some of each type with successive orders (though a single reel will be all one type).

I'm not sure, but I thought that all CREE LEDs were made in Carolina? What's this outsourcing to China crap all about? I'll stop buying CREE if that's the case.

...there's no way an LED made is China is as good.. same factory setup or not.. it just never ends up like that.

Quote Originally Posted by VanIsleDSM View Post
    I'm not sure, but I thought that all CREE LEDs were made in Carolina? What's this outsourcing to China crap all about? I'll stop buying CREE if that's the case.

...there's no way an LED made is China is as good.. same factory setup or not.. it just never ends up like that.
    Yawn.

Ever buy an iPod?
    A little madness never hurt anybody.

The reality is the magic mostly lies in the die which is still made in NC. The Cotco facility is a packaging plant. Initial tests from several customers indicates slightly lower vf with this package and improved light output. This however is only anecdotal at this stage as Cree's Product Change Notice advises no change in product spec

Also, this is not outsourcing to China. Cree has bought Cotco, and keeps a close eye on quality from the Chinese manufacturing facility. There is absolutely no reason to expect a drop in quality.

how is the performance?
    a) better
    b) relatively still the same
    c) worse than before

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by nanotech17 View Post
    how is the performance?
    a) better
    b) relatively still the same
    c) worse than before
    Hard to say at this point since I don't have a light meter. Subjectively I'd say the brightness is about the same, maybe a little brighter, but with a whiter tint. With the previous LED, which I believe was a P4 approximately 900-925 ma were being pulled from a fresh 18650. With this Q5 I'm seeing about 700-725 ma. I'm going to replace the driver with a multimode rated at 1A, so hopefully this will allow a more current.

SteveDavis
    How come you guys, Arrow Lighting, can't get the latest releases of Crees, or can you? Waiting on stuff to come from the other side of the planet is a real pain.

We do get the latest releases. It is admittedly tough to get them through our website in small quantities, but if you're willing to buy a mini reel at 250pcs, we can probably get what you want, provided some flexibility on exact color bins. Are you in the US? If you can do an order of decent size, go ahead and call 1-888-9light1 and we'll see what we can do for you.

We have R2's in limited quantity, and some warmer white P4's.

Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    Hard to say at this point since I don't have a light meter. Subjectively I'd say the brightness is about the same, maybe a little brighter, but with a whiter tint. With the previous LED, which I believe was a P4 approximately 900-925 ma were being pulled from a fresh 18650. With this Q5 I'm seeing about 700-725 ma. I'm going to replace the driver with a multimode rated at 1A, so hopefully this will allow a more current.
    Thank You bro,

You can guess what i just did

Quote Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
    Yawn.

Ever buy an iPod?
    No.. I haven't.

... you must live in a box, watch the news at all in 2007?

Good that the die is still made in NC, I suppose that is the magic.. I still don't think it's right, but at least the quality won't go to crap.. I'm willing to bet we won't see the benefit of the money they save from cheap foreign labour though... if they were doing it so they could chop the price of the LED for us, ok.. fair enough.. but what are the chances of that? When companies turn to chinese manufacturing they're just trying to be more lucrative..

*Flashaholic*

thanks for the PIC Kwarwick.

the Q5s i got from DX earlier with the same base star, look the same EXCEPT for mine have the yellow slop all over, not like your pic there.
    that looks so "clean" .

I wonder if there is now any less effect of the yellowish side spill, you know called Rings when the reflector is on it.
    most of the yellow side shooting i am sure is through the phosphors on the emitting thing, going sideways,. but i woulder how much of it was "reflected" off of that base around it.

wonder which one reflects more light, the yellowish stuff there or the shiney metalic look.

Flashaholic

I received the Q5 star from DX last week and installed it into my Romisen RC-G2 it give out a purple tint which I didn't like.

Does anyone else experience the same purple tint with WG Q5 from DX?

Banned

No.. I haven't.

Good that the die is still made in NC, I suppose that is the magic.. I still don't think it's right, but at least the quality won't go to crap.. I'm willing to bet we won't see the benefit of the money they save from cheap foreign labour though... if they were doing it so they could chop the price of the LED for us, ok.. fair enough.. but what are the chances of that? When companies turn to chinese manufacturing they're just trying to be more lucrative..
    While there are still several wafer fabs in the U.S. I do not think there is even one high volume semiconductor product that is packaged in the U.S. Virtually all the semiconductor packaging plants are in low wage locations, i.e. China, Phillipines, Malaysia, Thailand, etc. Malaysia and that general area of the world are still huge in packaging, but that is starting to be viewed as too expensive, hence new plants were moved into China. Now some are looking for even cheaper packaging plants.

Packaging is a surprisingly labour intensive process (well at least it is now), hence why it is in cheap labour locations.

Certainly those cost savings are passed along to the consumer, but we always have a choice. You can pay either twice as much for your LEDs or accept wages that are half as much.......or have both forced on you by shopping at Walmart and the likes.... a choice that many have made freely... :-)

Semiman

You forgot Taiwan and Mexico.

I'm quite aware of the situation.. I liked how CREE wasn't swinging that way though... I don't want to get lead poisoning from my LEDs

You wont get lead on cree if its RoHS compliant. However if you buy cree on star from places like dx then thats another story.
    Arc4+ mods/repair. LED drop in for SF E-Series. Onion Rings for SF A2.

You forgot Taiwan and Mexico.

I'm quite aware of the situation.. I liked how CREE wasn't swinging that way though... I don't want to get lead poisoning from my LEDs
    I know you're joking but - glass blowers blowing crystal glass used to get grams(!) of lead into their system every day. They lived healthy lives but it was said that if they started drinking milk to their meals they got acute lead poisoning - the lead was driven out from their bones by the increased intake of calcium. Medical studies later concluded that the body could pass a couple of grams of lead through per day. The limits we see today are there for other reasons.

When companies turn to chinese manufacturing they're just trying to be more lucrative..
    God forbid a company try and make more money.

No.. I haven't.

You picked the wrong CPFer to argue globalization with.
    A little madness never hurt anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by saabluster View Post
    God forbid a company try and make more money.

Well.. my lead poisoning comment was a joke.. and there is nothing wrong with trying to make more money.. until it gets to the point to where there is so little quality control that people's pets start dieing.. and there is lead paint on children's toys.

Even a republican can agree with that..

Not the place for this conversation though.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
    I wonder if there is now any less effect of the yellowish side spill, you know called Rings when the reflector is on it.
    most of the yellow side shooting i am sure is through the phosphors on the emitting thing, going sideways,. but i woulder how much of it was "reflected" off of that base around it.

wonder which one reflects more light, the yellowish stuff there or the shiney metalic look.
    Doesn't appear to be any difference in that respect. I have an older yellow domed Q5 and this new one and they both exhibit slight yellow rings around the hot spot when using a OP reflector.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    Where you direct driving the LED?

the reason for the yellow dome is coz people in the us like yellow light probable because of your car head lights are yellow i think
    where as china mainly but not always make clear domes because the rest of the world like more of a real white or cool white

even if you look at standard LEDs or SMD LEDs us ones if you look at the junction its got a yellow tinge where as LEDs made anywhere else they are clear

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroz View Post
    Where you direct driving the LED?
    The LED is installed in a DX "U2 style" flashlight http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1285. Powered by a single 18650 and with a modified driver (shorted R1 resistor). I've recently changed the two mode switch to a single mode an will be putting in a 16 mode 1000ma driver that should be able to drive the LED a little harder.

Karl
    Last edited by kwarwick; 01-13-2008 at 08:43 PM.

Flashaholic*

...there's no way an LED made is China is as good
    And you wonder why the rest of the world hates America?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarl View Post
    And you wonder why the rest of the world hates America?
    No, a torch does not always mean flames.
    Ian.
    LED Driver List - now database driven and with new search features.

Banned

Excuse me?????? Please if you have nothing based on fact and valueable to add, don't. Philips Lumileds has a patent on the conformal process that allowed them to just cover the die as opposed to spreading phosphor all over.

All the old Cree parts had phosphor spread over the inside of the package. It was not the dome that was yellow, just that there was yellow phosphor over the die as well as all over the surface of the package. These new parts have phosphor on what looks like only the surface. I would assume they have found away around Lumileds patent and/or licensed it?

Semiman

Quote Originally Posted by haloweenhamster View Post
    the reason for the yellow dome is coz people in the us like yellow light probable because of your car head lights are yellow i think
    where as china mainly but not always make clear domes because the rest of the world like more of a real white or cool white

even if you look at standard LEDs or SMD LEDs us ones if you look at the junction its got a yellow tinge where as LEDs made anywhere else they are clear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast