CC Radio-SWP? Anyone have one? Pocket CC?

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
CCRadio-SWP

Our new CCRadio-SWP AM/FM/Shortwave Pocket Radio has exceptional AM reception and audio quality for its small size. It's sensitive enough to outperform all comparable radios in its class, and small enough to tuck in your briefcase or purse.

You can quickly and easily retrieve up to 200 of your favorite AM/FM and Shortwave stations in any order by simply turning the Tuning Knob — a smart feature called "Memory Scan." And you won't lose your memories when you take the batteries out.

The CCRadio-SWP also has a keyboard for direct access to any frequency. Features alarm clock, direct key entry, stereo headphone jack, sleep timer, display light, and carry pouch. FM 70.0-108.8, AM 522-1620, (9k) / 520-1710 (10k), SW1 2300-7500, SW2 9200-22000. Runs 70 hours on 2 "AA" size batteries (not included). Optional AC Adapter available. Weight: 6.5 oz. Size: 5" W x 3" H x 1.2" D.

I looked online at a few reviews and "for its size" is supposed to be good. Anyone w/ practical thoughts. The size, price and features seem about right for what I have been looking for.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
CCrane overhypes it's products. In this case, I think there's a good chance it's a rebadged product from another manufacturer (but I don't know for sure) as is the new CCPlusSW. If one can find out what that is, you can read reviews on it. I know the CCPlusSW is a rebadged Redsun RP2100 which can be had for considerably cheaper.

Last edited:

mightysparrow

Enlightened
I, too, own a Degen 1102. It's a great radio for the price! You can get the USA version, the Kaito 1102, for a little more $, so you don't have to use a 120V adapter with the power cord, but they're the same radio inside.

This radio is very sensitive and selective for the price, and the speaker sounds as good as speakers twice the size.

AMDXWA

Newly Enlightened
I heard a lot of good reviews for it. I'll get it as soon as I get my Dad's B'day gift.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The SWP is a rebadged Redsun, which is a Chinese maker of very good larger SW radios (the CCrane SW full-sized model being a good example) but not so much the smaller ones. I would agree with the recommendations for a Kaito unit (for the under-$100 budget, there are better options above $100) if you're really wanting to specifically get into SW (if you just want a good AM/FM radio, there are other options)

It should be noted that whatever you end up getting, you will need an antenna to do much SW listening at all; a good starter antenna for the novice is the simple "pocket reel antenna" that usually sells for ~$10 (here's one: http://universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3184.html ). It's just a 25 foot length of wire that you unreel completely (or as much as possible, limitations permitting), this will dramatically increase the number of stations that you can hear versus just going "off the whip".

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Glad to hear the positive reports on the 1102. It's been a temptation for awhile. Just can't figure out a reason to justify another radio, but I'm working on it. :shakehead

Geoff

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was also interested in the CC; it looks like such a cool radio. How does the Kaito 1102 compare to the CC?

Last edited:

Radiophile

Enlightened
All portable radios are compromises in some respect, and the smaller they are, the more compromises must be made. If portability is your primary criteria, it may suit your needs, if not, then I'd go with other radios.

For AM BCB DXing I'd stay away from any digital radio except maybe a triple conversion communications receiver, and even then I'd want something with as little digital control as possible unless the name on it is Kenwood, Yaesu, or Icom. For $100 or less you will not beat a GE Superadio I, II, or III (with modifications). I have an S350 and it doesn't compare to a Superadio that is aligned well. I put it into the same class as the Radio Shack tuned RF radios - good, but not great. For less than $200 do yourself a favor and get a Panasonic RF2200. Again, you won't beat it for the price in a portable, and in many cases it'll beat a mediocre table top. If portability is less of a concern, then a Radio Shack DX-302 and a nice long wire antenna will beat anything under $200. Triple conversion and selectable filters are impossible for a portable to beat. Loop antennas are especially helpful for AM BCB DXing, so google Bruce Carter's loop antenna page and be amazed at the performance! If you aren't into hombrewing, buy a Select-A-Tenna. Despite what you may read, they help even the best radios even if only to block an adjacent frequency to aid selectivity.

For shortwave portables it's still hard to beat an RF-2200 (in good alignment) for the price. Yeah, it's analog, but that's a plus for some DXers. If you want a digital display in a portable, check out the 2100 - I understand it's excellent. More expensive portables will get you more features. The king of all digital SW portables was and still is the Sony ICF2010. Unfortunately it's long been out of production - just like the RF-2200. For a table top or real SSB SW rig, you can't really beat the DX-302 for the price. I use my Kenwood TS450 HF rig, and it's awesome especially if you want to listen to SSB or CW. Hardcore AM SWLers might want synchronous AM, selectable filters and/or DSP and those radios can cost in excess of $10k. Then there are folks who swear by a receiver designed and manufactured in the 1950s - the Collins R-390A. 85 pounds of extreme sensitivity and selectivty still unequalled.

Last edited:

Al

Enlightened
Pick up a Sony ICF-SW7600GR before they're all gone ...

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Pick up a Sony ICF-SW7600GR before they're all gone ...

+1, loved mine for years..

7600GRNightOps.jpg

da.gee

Enlightened
This subject seems to come up sporadically so I will add my standard input. Take a look at the Eton E5 or Grundig G5. Same model depending on your country. It is every bit as good as the Sony. That said the Sony is a fine choice and a classic amongst radios.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Take a look at the Eton E5 or Grundig G5.

The E5 is based on/is essentially the same radio as the aforementioned Kaito 1103, but uses a different control/display layout. It's a solid design with a very large station memory and the ability to charge batteries in the unit, but it does not feature synchronous detection, which the 7600 has; any weak stations next to strong ones on the dial won't be legible on the E5, while the 7600 can receive them without issue.

Any radio with a sync feature is really in another class - a good example would be pitting the CCrane CCRadio vs the Sony 7600; while the CC is touted as being among the best AM receivers and is specifically built for the task, the 7600 can easily pick up more AM stations in a given area because of the sync's ability to block out overlapping strong signals.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Are their any advantages the 7600GR has over the 7600G?

Just a few improvements; on the GR your presets will be remembered without power, two clocks (local/GMT, and they can be displayed while you're listening), a variable attenuator (a knob version of the usual "Local/DX" switch, very handy in an environment with a lot of EF noise), and better audio quality.

The only point of contention in the upgrade is the loss of the G's tuning LED (the GS just has a small "Tune" indicator on the LCD display); some users prefer the gradually dimming/brightening of the LED over the on/off nature of the LCD, but you do technically get better battery life without the LED.

da.gee

Enlightened
I think if you compare real world performance between Eton and Sony it's a wash even without sync on the G5. I've read several reviews where the Eton bested the Sony on AM reception. Regardless both are great radios.

I suspect SSB and related transmissions will go away before the Sony does. Someday I will pick one up. It is a legendary box!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Son't own light weight radios, the SRF-59 with their IC CXA1129N chip does very well against my Sony 7600G, in fact it matches it station for station. Very difficult to tune it though, requiring a decent speaker or headphones to dial in. Used a small RS loop for both.

Bill

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Son't own light weight radios, the SRF-59 with their IC CXA1129N chip does very well against my Sony 7600G, in fact it matches it station for station.

Yeah, Sony definitely knows how to make a powerful portable, my SRF-T615 and the 7600GR are just about neck-and-neck. A plus on the T615 is the noise reduction switch; this feature alone often negates needing the GR to hear a tricky station.

Very difficult to tune it though, requiring a decent speaker or headphones to dial in. Used a small RS loop for both.

I usually use good (outer-ear) earbuds when searching for stations; these null out the grating whistles and droning bassy sounds and make voices stand out much more clearly.

The trick the old boys use with loop antennas is to get a shoebox and cut out the lengthwise sides forming a small table - set your new table so the legs straddle the loop, then set your radio on the table; presto, the radio sits right in the dead center of the loop for max gain. Then set the whole assembly on a Lazy Susan so you can rotate for null/directionality.

I use the CCrane Twin Coil antenna, which is a killer combo with the 7600GR. Takes a while to set up and use, but once you've dialed it in, it's as good as AM listening gets outside of a tabletop/rackmount radio with an outdoor antenna..

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I have one of those CC Twin Bar Ferite bar setup. Got it when the inventor was in good graces with CC. I will have to pull it out of storage. Works good with my RS 909 too.

Bill