200mw DPSS green laser! #1

Lasernerd

Enlightened
The Great Pacific Northwest,home of the Goonies,Sh
56.jpg

I just received this unit,,I am the first one in the USA to own one of these,2lbs. power consumption 6 watts 120 volt!
It was alot of money,,
I will take more pictures of it lighting up clouds putting
a big spot on a mountain 10 miles away!
This unit is very small,,in comparison to the output power,
my little Argon @ 200 mw`s weighs 120lbs.!

notice it is a one piece unit!
Made by Viasho ,,,laser # is 87!
the divergence is incredible,nothing like it! not even my Lexel 75 magnet current maxed at 15 amps!
Wait till you see the pictures,,at 50 feet beam diameter about the size of a nickle!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Re: 500mw DPSS green laser! #1

just be sure not to cut the tip of the mountain off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Holy cow!!!
A 500mW DPSS green!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

That ought to be able to start fires, cut stuff, burn eyeballs out, and all kinds of horse puckey like that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Definitely a CDRH Class IV laser!!!

OddOne

Enlightened

Wish I could find a chunk of KTP big enough for my laser, so I could make the world's most powerful green laser pointer. The laser rod I'm using is 10 inches long. (32 gigawatts a pulse, give or take, is a bit much for KTP.)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

oO

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Uh, at such high wattage (500 mw) you're not s'pose to even look at the beam right?

Lasernerd

Enlightened
The Great Pacific Northwest,home of the Goonies,Sh

Not direct eye or skin,,
scattered radiation is ok,,
I have a variance from the C.D.R.H. for providing laser shows to the public useing lasers upto 60 watts!
and it is not wattage it is milliwatts..
500 mw`s = 1/2 watt 1000 mw`s = 1 watt

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Ahhh yes, pulse lasers, just the ticket for blowing sh*t up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
My very first laser was a pulse laser, and I got just 1 shot out of it before blowing it up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Way, way, way too much power to the flashtube ya know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Let's just say the flashtube wasn't the only component that was lost. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hemingray

Enlightened

I suppose a 500 mW laser would make a nice fly zapper. I used to work with a PHD-type who had extensive laser experience, I asked him how much IR LASER power it would take to shoot down flies, he said 1/2 watt would be plenty.
Stick with visible, at least you can see and avoid the beam.

Do not look into laser with remaining eye.

/ed B in NH

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I sure can't do that with a 4.99mW modded greenie from Zbolt.com, that's for sure!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
You could probably reach Earth's moon if you shot yours through the eyepiece of a large enough telescope, while mine would only be visible from earth orbit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

P.S.
Great pictures!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to sit next to Dr Tung H. Jeong in the North Suburban Symphony in Chicago. He's a professor at the local college and rather well known in laser and holography fields /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Got to spend many happy evenings in his lab under the physics building using slightly smaller lasers, but we shared the room with several water cooled monstrosities that I was afraid to look at even when they were turned off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif a whole series of charred holes in the wooden doors gave witness to what happens if you don't aim the mirrors properly. His favorite lecture photo was of him demonstrating a CO2 cutting laser on a hot dog and suggesting that it would make a good surgical laser for performing circumcision /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Those are some good looking picts!

OddOne

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Lasernerd said:
Now my Ruby rod laser flashlamp pumped at 200 Joules,,
you dont want to look at that beam! it is rated at about
twenty Gilletes,,
The razor blades,thats how many it will pop a hole thru!

[/ QUOTE ]

The rod from mine:
big_yag_rod.jpg

I'd rate this one in manhole covers, not Gilettes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In order to comply with CDRH requirements the safety interlock involves passive IR sensing and a CCTV system - you leave the room to fire it, as it auto-safeties if anything alive is in the same room as the laser head.

In case you wonder what it takes to lase that monster: The rod's triggered by sixteen flashtubes, each with a 12.5mm bore and pumped with up to 15,000 joules at a whack. Power is delivered from a staged-charge multi-bank system of my own devising, which I'll not post images of since I'm exploring the commercial possibilities of it. The rod thresholds at ~2,200J and the most I've run through it was 96KJ, although the head should in theory take 200KJ. At 96KJ I created a clean 1" dia. hole in a 1/2" thick steel plate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Now if I could only get a big KTP chunk... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

oO

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Holy crap!!! {sound of stools falling to floor} /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
That Class IV system hammers pretty much everything I've got
put together!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
I love the burned USPS tag... do that with your greenie? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif