Malkoff Mag Drop-In & Al Reflector

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
I just received my Malkoff Mag 2,3,4-D Drop-In. I put it in my 3-D MagLite, so it is running at 1000mA, and it is simply remarkable. I already own (3) of the Malkoff M60 drop-ins, and I am as pleased with this as I am with those. He truly makes remarkable products.

I have also replaced the plastic lens with an UCL, and I would like to purchase a replacement aluminum reflctor. I have searched the CPF, and I know the relative strengths and weaknesses of the FM and Kaidomain versions, in both smooth and textured varieties.

What I am looking for is a first person testimony that such and such reflector WILL work with the Malkoff Mag D-Cell drop-in.

I believe that I need a 15mm opening for the Malkoff. Can the FM reflector be opened up that much?

Anyway, can anyone tell me that they are, in fact, using an Al reflector with this drop-in?

Thanks...............Frank

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you have a extreme preference for Aluminum reflectors, they probably won't offer that much more of an improvement on the beam if any at all. I remember when I started looking into Fivemega's reflectors and I asked him about them. The first thing he asked me was what kind of setup do I have and I told him I wanted to use his reflectors with LEDs and he told me that the stock reflectors works just about as good as a smooth Mag reflector can work with LEDs. Unless you're looking for a textured reflector to smooth the beam out, the stock reflector works just fine. Even Gene Malkoff thinks so...

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
Thank-you, Ace, for your informed suggestions.

I do not want a textured reflector, as I don't mind 'artifacts' at all. I was just thinking that an Al reflector would help with my general upgrading. Maybe I'll just stick with the stock reflector as you suggest.

Again, thanks..................Frank

SafetyBob

Enlightened
Just for the heck of it, you might order one of the textured ones from Gene (when you place another order). I think you will be amazed at the spill it will give you if you are not specifically using the light for throw. It made a huge difference on the wife's 3 C that i modded for her. Very, very nice for in the house use power on or off.

That said, I have kept the smooth reflector on my 3 D for max throw when needed since I now have so many other flashlights to chose from!!

If you have an extra reflector around, grab a can of krylon, do a search for how do i stipple a reflector, and you should find the directions on how to do it. I stippled to little at first (lots of spill) then just kept on adding clear on top of clear until I got that great throw and spill together that I really liked.

Bob E.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
The mirror coating on the Aluminum reflectors is the same as the one sed on the stock plastic, the only difference is that the aluminum-base reflector can tolerate the much greater amount of heat produced by incandescent lamps -- there's no risk of LEDs melting the stock reflector anytime soon.

If you absolutely wanted an altertnative reflector, you could try the Kaidomain 15mm opening MOP. This would give you a softer beam than the stock smooth reflector if that's what you're looking for. Using a reflector that is textured first, then coated, will probably give you better results than the Malkoff stippled reflector, where the stippling appears to be added after the fact. Otherwise, if you like smooth, keep it stock.

Last edited:

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again for the help, guys.

I want throw more than flood with this light, so I'm just gonna stick with the stock, smooth reflector. I'd forgotten about the potential heat issue with higher voltage incandescents but, as pointed out, not an issue with my Malkoff.

Seems that I was trying to fix a problem that I didn't have.

Frank