• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Homemade LuxV in my Mule, sort of...

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what do you do with a mule and 4 matched vf Rebel 100s? Well, run them in parallel!

Disadvantages, the Cree glass optic has more forward throw? Rebel lose a bit of light because they have a wider degree?, they need to be placed closer to the glass window.

The thermal hotspot is in the middle, the heat can be spread out if the Rebels are placed apart but I like the arrangement this way. Easier to work with.

I wanted to use the heat sink gold pads as ground but it was too hard to solder, the thermal capability is too good, the heatsink keep sucking away the heat so I had to do the ugly way. By connecting tiny wires to the top of the Rebels. A layer of thermal adhesive keeps the bottom pads from shorting out.

I wonder if I can remodel the heatsink gold contacts by milling, so they will fit the Rebel bottom pads... :thinking: that will get rid of the ugly "power lines" :eek:

Beware, very ugly mod job.
Vincent.

8c2xkk1.jpg

8eqzksm.jpg

6o47035.jpg

89kmpvq.jpg

6ynkh9k.jpg

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Wow! :thumbsup: Nice thinking!

I'd be interested in seeing the beam pattern on this!

john

luminata

Enlightened
I dont think its ugly. I think it looks really cool. very hightech appearance

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
No you cant!!! It was painfully long to voltage match those Rebels!!!

Okay, I have decided to remodel and do something to the gold pads on the MCPCB 650 heatsink. The middle rectangular bit looks quite suitable for 4x Rebels and I think I should use the modified pads for connecting the Rebels instead of the "powerlines". I hope the plan works. Need sometime, a bit busy with my current running projects, will update again once I complete.

Kelvino

Newly Enlightened
No you cant!!! It was painfully long to voltage match those Rebels!!!
:awman:

I really like your work, especially the idea placing 4 Rebels in the Mule.
Please add beamshots once you got the time for that.
I wish I had your skills for doing such things...

Regards

Ctechlite

Enlightened
... :thinking: that will get rid of the ugly "power lines" :eek:

Beware, very ugly mod job.
Vincent.

6ynkh9k.jpg

OMG, ugly? Oh no! Not ugly at all, that is a work of art suitable to be displayed in any museum.

Btw, my house has a small flashlight museum, care to donate that piece of art for a few months to display?

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent mod. It looks very good, which is amazing considering what a pig Rebels are to work with. How much current are you putting through each emitter? What sort of output do you expect?

By the way, you are in violation of your CPF membership if you do not post BEAMSHOTS!

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the kind words guys.

I'm not in for high current, just 4 Rebels for the fun because they fit. The RCR123 can only put out a limited amount of power, to drive all 4 Rebels at full output is dangerously hot since they are mounted so close together I don't think it's a good idea. Also the RCR123 may not like it very much.

I should show off some pics of the modified MCPCB for the Rebel when I get back to Aus. I'm far away at my parents house at the moment.

Last edited:

Latest posts