Surefire G3L

Beastmaster

Enlightened
I just got this email from SureFire marketing...

from
cleardot.gif
: SureFire <[email protected]>
to:
cleardot.gif
Beastmaster,
date
cleardot.gif
: Jan 10, 2008 3:51 PM
subject:
cleardot.gif
New G3 LED Flashlight

The New SureFire G3 Is All About The Numbers

90 Lumens of blinding output
9.4 Hours of total runtime
5.8 Hours of tactical-level light

With its virtually indestructible, super-efficient light emitting diode, the
SureFire G3 LED cranks out 80 lumens of tactical-level light-enough to
temporarily overwhelm an aggressor's night-adapted vision. And it keeps on
producing tactical light levels for nearly six hours on a set of batteries,
making the G3 LED a great choice for law enforcement, security, or self-defense
applications. Of course, its user-friendly beam, corrosion-proof body, O-ring
seals, molded-in grid for a firm grip, and total runtime of 9.4 hours also make
the G3 LED perfect for outdoor activities, disaster-preparedness-any activity
where high output, long runtime, and extreme durability are prized.

For More Information or To Place An Order For The SureFire G3 Visit:
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main...mail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=g3consumer

LG&M

Enlightened
Re: I just got this email from SureFire marketing...

You beat me to it Beastmaster.

cfromc

Enlightened

First it said 90 lumens, then it said 80 lumens?

SAVAGESAM

Newly Enlightened

Same question I posted elsewhere. Why don't they make it with three levels??? 5LM 50LM 200LM

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

So are they saying it will maintain 80 lumens or better for 5.8 hours?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

I got it too. To be honest, the light looks sort of dorkey. The bezel doesn't look like it belongs on that body.

e2x2e

Enlightened
That is weird, because on the website it says 80 lumens, not 90...

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I tend to prefer lights that balance runtime and brightness - so this sounds great to me. Knowing Surefire, I bet more than their claimed output is actually getting out the front.

Like a previous poster said, it sounds like a great truck light. I bet it would make a fine camping/hiking light as well.

Germ

Enlightened
I got a G3L before Christmas and I like it a lot. I was away on vacation and looking for a G3 to use with a P91 bulb, but the local store only had G3L's. They were selling for $45, so I couldn't resist.

The beam is broad and I think about the perfect brightness for a one brightness light. It is great for indoors and for walking, but not a great thrower. The beam on mine is a little blue, but tolerable. I love the runtime.

Since the light has a twisty/momentary button having multiple brightness levels could be annoying. I have a Fenix P1D CE Q5 twisty. It is too easy to change levels by accident when twisting the light on. As you twist the light on you can make contact a couple of times before the light stays on and you may skip a level. Also, unless the light is programmable the level you start with may not be the level you want to start with all the time. The Fenix starts on low. I use the medium level 99% of the time which is similar to the level on the G3L.

I don't mind the metal bezel. I'm sure SureFire did this for a good reason and it should be better for future LED drop ins. I like that the G3L will take drop in bulbs, but beware that the lens is plastic and will need to be replaced with glass if you run the SureFire or Lumens Factory incan bulbs.

While I like the G3L a lot I'm not sure I'd rush out and get it for the $89 SureFire price. The Streamlight 4AA ProPoly Luxeon has a similar output and runtime for about $25.

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was an expected, natural course of action. Just waiting for SF to release the G3L-YL...

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to see a runtime graph on this light. The aluminum head is a good idea to help with heatsinking, but I wonder if it will do as well as a all metal light like the 6pl.

Still looks like a decent light though.

SunStar

Enlightened
OK Guys... I must have missed the discussion.

What's up with the G2L being 80L for 12 hours and the G3L being 80L for 9.4 hours?

Are the beam profiles of the G2L and G3L similar?

Thanks.

KeeperSD

Enlightened
What's up with the G2L being 80L for 12 hours and the G3L being 80L for 9.4 hours?
Thanks.
Neither of them will maintain 80 lumens for the entire battery life. After regulation the lumens drop off very rapidly and run at about 5 to 10 lumens for the remaining time

Personally i think SF missed the boat, it is great to have a light that can run for a long time, but what about the users who want pure output (something they were once known for) there is no option or drop in available. The 9V with the LED seems a little pointless to me