NiteIze 1watt PR dropin

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't look like cree that's for sure. My bet is luxeon. Funny thing if you look at the comparison shot, it's the same one they used for the other dim one.

Seems it'll suffer the same heat problem magled module does.

Marduke

Flashaholic
But if they were smart and sold it for less than $10, and with the same versatility as their 10mm dropin, I don't care if it's a Lux I, it will make big ripples in the consumer market.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the terralux TLE-1F to me.
If it is a rebranded TLE-1F the LED is too close to the flange. Won't focus properly in fixed focus flashlights. Quite bright compared to the SMJLED PR, Tectite LPR-2/3/113 and the 10mm drop-ins.

JamisonM

Enlightened
They have them for Mag's. Not true PR's, but pretty close.
You could always just cut off part of the heatsink. Still, it'd be nice to have a soul based PR drop-in that we didn't have to worry about destroying itself or dimming because of heat. That'd turn those cheap plastic lights around the house into a pretty nice light.

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do hope it is a newer high efficiency LED. I've looked at the Terralux, Nite Ize and other dropins but haven't been able to justify spending money on them.

frankiej

Newly Enlightened
I thought I might revive this old thread, as I have considerable interest in this drop-in. The Niteize 1 watt Minimag drop-in has performed admirably for me presently, and Niteize service is outstanding (I emailed them complaining about how dim the old PR bulb was, and they sent me a revised version for no-charge) They are a great company with a fair product for the money. I daresay that I would expect this to be a servicable, if not stellar, product

I would think that someone out there in lumen-land has secured one of these units, and I was curious about how they perform.

http://www.zbattery.com/Nite-Ize-1-Watt-LED-Upgrade-Kit-CD-cell?sc=10&category=44

Zbattery has them, so they are available ($12.99 US I might add). Anyone took one for the team with one yet? Thanks in advance!

hopkins

Enlightened
The focus changes to all flood with the 10mm led pr dropin due to the low height
of the emitting die in my flashlight. Looks like this new 1watter tries to raise the emitter to the same height as the filiment in the incandescent bulbs and maintain the beam quality.
Just my theory. Can anyone confirm?

hopkins

Enlightened
Hi Jzmtl - does the Niteize 10mm led PR dropin have heat issues, like
melting plastic flashlights.. etc??? Just got one today and I'm testing it
in a plastic flashlight and am opening it now and then to see how hot its
gotten after reading your comment -mine is just warm so far -20 minutes-
Curious. Any lights killed by this PR dropin?

-Agree on the 3watt magLED - Pulls 1 amp & gets fracking hot so I thermal
gooped it inside my 2D mag. 1 year and still OK after many battery changes.

hopkins

Enlightened
metlarules - I should have gotten the new 1watt rather than the 10mm.
Oh well.
Could you post the current drain your 1watt led is pulling?
The 10mm led pr dropin -niteize- drains 100ma from 2 AA NimH cells

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tryed to find the post of the current draws of the 1 watt led on a 3 cell but couldn't find it. If my memory serves me correctly i believe it was 340 mah for a 3 cell.