Where are Cree LED's manufactured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albinoni

Banned
Where are Cree's manufactured, I think Cree is a US company if I'm correct but does that mean their manufactired there, also where's the Cree P4 manufactured and is the P4 a good LED ?

DM51

Flashaholic
Albinoni, if you type in "Cree LED" on Google, the very first thing that comes up is the company website.

That illustrates the point that it is always better to do a simple search (either on Google or by using the CPF search function) before asking a question or posting a new thread.

I have already closed 2 of your threads today, but I will leave this one open for the time being so that people can discuss the other aspects of your question.

zippymbr

Newly Enlightened
I have a good friend in Marketing and they are located right around the corner from me in RTP (Research Triangle Park). Basically between Durham and Raleigh.

Albinoni

Banned
Sorry but the main reasoon why I asked this question is just because Cree is a US ompany that doesnt mean its LEDs are manufactured in the US. Panasonic, Sony, Sanyo etc are Japanese but not all their TV's are made in Japan, infact lots are now made iin China, Korea, Indonesia etc. I've also seen Samsung Plasma's made in China and Indonesia. Also I can rest assure alot of Philips LED's (Lumileds) are made in Singapore.

Masque

Newly Enlightened
And to that aspect of your question, the original answer also stands: Google. Googling for "cree manufacturing location" turns up several hints, and some definitive answers. :)

extas

Newly Enlightened
Cree LEDs are vertically manufactured in house. This means that Cree is responsible for every step in the manufacture of the XRE. If you break it down the Basic steps are:

SiC Wafer production (Substrate Production)
Epitaxy (LED Chip Production)
LED Packaging (Putting the Chip into the LED Housing)

currently all of this is done in Durham, SC, USA. But by the End of 2008 at least one part will be done in China (Shenzhen near HK), the LED Packaging. Cree will not be outsourcing this, they bought a Chinese packager (COTCO) and they are Qualifying the production line now. But it is not clear to me, beyond packaging, how many of the other steps will be in China. This is not insider information, as it in their 2007 annual report.

So by the end of 2008 many Cree LEDs will be at least partly manufactured in China by Cree.

-ex

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
I don't mean to tick anyone off...............

..............and especially not the Moderators, but I don't see what the big deal is in asking a question that 'could' have been answered by a google search.

This IS a forum for sharing knowledge and interests. By reading this thread, I have now learned a bit about a subject of which I had very little previous knowledge. More to the point, I would never have even thought to ask, so I'm glad that someone else did.

If it happens to be an old, frequently answered question, no one here is compelled to answer. The CPF search function is very useful, but certainly imperfect. Many times a helpful CPF member can easily (and gladly) provide a concise answer that hours of searching and reading may not disclose. Unless you know the precise word or words upon which to search, it is often very hard to find what you need.

Anyway, all I'm saying is please let's not discourage questions.

Thank-you...................Frank

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
My thoughts exactly, Frank! If it makes someone a bit miffed if a simple question is asked, then that person should just simply not offer a response. In a way, CPF is a "Google" for flashlight questions. I say if you have a question, ask away!

kilgor

Enlightened
Re: I don't mean to tick anyone off...............

..............and especially not the Moderators, but I don't see what the big deal is in asking a question that 'could' have been answered by a google search.

This IS a forum for sharing knowledge and interests. By reading this thread, I have now learned a bit about a subject of which I had very little previous knowledge. More to the point, I would never have even thought to ask, so I'm glad that someone else did.

If it happens to be an old, frequently answered question, no one here is compelled to answer. The CPF search function is very useful, but certainly imperfect. Many times a helpful CPF member can easily (and gladly) provide a concise answer that hours of searching and reading may not disclose. Unless you know the precise word or words upon which to search, it is often very hard to find what you need.

:thumbsup:

zippymbr

Newly Enlightened
Cree LEDs are vertically manufactured in house. This means that Cree is responsible for every step in the manufacture of the XRE. If you break it down the Basic steps are:

SiC Wafer production (Substrate Production)
Epitaxy (LED Chip Production)
LED Packaging (Putting the Chip into the LED Housing)

currently all of this is done in Durham, SC, USA. But by the End of 2008 at least one part will be done in China (Shenzhen near HK), the LED Packaging. Cree will not be outsourcing this, they bought a Chinese packager (COTCO) and they are Qualifying the production line now. But it is not clear to me, beyond packaging, how many of the other steps will be in China. This is not insider information, as it in their 2007 annual report.

So by the end of 2008 many Cree LEDs will be at least partly manufactured in China by Cree.

-ex

Durham, NC :poke:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep...right here in good ol' RTP, NC. I live in Cary, which is right next door to Durham, and is also part of Research Triangle Park. In fact, I live less than two miles from the CREE facilities.

extas

Newly Enlightened
oops, i wrote it while being distracted by my 2 year old.. must have been to tired sorry NC. DOH!!.

-ex

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

HIJACK

CPF has Members: 35,027, Active Members: 7,103. If all the active members ask questions with the frequency of Albinoni (27 new threads in 13 days) CPF would be swamped to the point of being unusable.

I suggest doing the following before starting a new thread:
Search CPF (search titles only - the search all posts usually bomb);
Search Google (CPF only);
Search Google (I usually use Google advanced search instead of just unchecking the CPF only box);
If replies to a question raises another question post in the same thread. Edit 1st post and Title as necessary. I feel I am chasing Albinoni all over CPF to answer related questions.

Frank_Zuccarini, kilgor here is a list of Albinoni's threads so far this year. You decide if following the steps I outlined above would reduce them to 1/2 or even 1/4 of the large number. The mods are riding Albinoni for a reason.
01-13-2008
Anybody use the Eneloop charger
Rechargeable CR123A's

01-12-2008
Glow in the dark switch
Ledwave do they still exist ?

01-11-2008
Where are Cree LED's manufactured
When do you replace your battery
SHENZHEN ZHANGYANG TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD.
Surefire Titan

01-10-2008
Another newby to my collection
Why CR123 ( 1 2)
Nitecore Defender V MTE C3 - 70101

01-09-2008
Planning to get a Fenix AA but confused

01-08-2008
The higher the wattage the brighter the LED
Your View on the Fenix P3D Premium
Fenix L2D and L2T

01-07-2008
Do you swap/rotate batteries ( 1 2)
Flashlight that converts
Maha releases long term NiMH Batts
Does one brand/model always use the same LED

01-06-2008
Why do you recomend Eneloops for LED Torches

01-04-2008
Charging All At Once
Is it bad to completely discharge a NiMH battery
Are most other LED torches Made in China/Taiwan

01-03-2008
Battery what to do

01-01-2008
MTE and Australia
Reccomend me a good AAA torch
Varta's 15min Charger

End rant
/HIJACK

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
I understand both sides of the story ... and both are correct.

I guess that the reality is that everyone is new to the forums at some point ... it's just we hope new(er) members pick up on forum etiquette eventually and figure out what questions are "basic" and can be answered doing a quick google search and what questions are not - thus necessitating a more involved question.

We also get semi-frustrated when a member posts many questions that have been well documented already ... but in a way it's hard to fault them if it's done out of enthusiasm for our shared hobby/interest in flashlights etc. If it's done out of ignorance ... well ....

Unfortunately, it's not possible to lash someone with a wet common-sense noodle ... so we can't reduce our stress when most of us abide by learned netiquette.

Oh, by the way, it's Durham, NC. :thinking: (just teasin':grin2:)

Last edited:

Lightmax

Newly Enlightened

Frank_Zuccarini, kilgor here is a list of Albinoni's threads so far this year. You decide if following the steps I outlined above would reduce them to 1/2 or even 1/4 of the large number. The mods are riding Albinoni for a reason.
/HIJACK

Come on Guys................

These are legit questions, even if rather newbie. I have many students that ask newbie questions, even my graduate students.......

An effort should be made to search for the information if possible. But what if a newbie doesn't know where to start? Or what questions to really ask? -Or- what questions to really search for?

If a people, including moderators, are so bent out of shape about some newbie questions, maybe we should segregate topics into "newbies" and "PhD's" sections.

I have found over the years that many times a fresh set of "eyes" can break through the myopia that we PhD's develop over time, and many times can lead higher learning into new directions.

Lightmax

DM51

Flashaholic

Frank_Zuccarini, Big_Ed, kilgor, Lightmax… One or two of you are stepping rather close to the line with your comments about the actions of moderators. However perhaps if I explain my thinking, you will understand.

1. I pointed out to the OP, Albinoni, that his question COULD have been answered by a quick and extremely simple Google search. I did not say that was what he SHOULD have done. I did it to illustrate that it was possible.

2. If his question had been a completely pointless or frivolous one, or had been asked countless times before, I would have closed the thread.

3. However, despite the fact that it would have been extremely simple to look up the answer, I left the thread open – because it happened to be an interesting question, and the answers (and subsequent related discussion) would probably be of interest to other members, as indeed it has been.

4. However, as LEDninja has pointed out, CPF would be totally swamped if everyone posted a new thread every time they had a question. A correct balance has to be struck.

5. Albinoni has an enquring mind, which is good, and he has many questions. Some of his questions have merited new threads, and others have not. This one – in my opinion - was worthwhile. Others weren't, and those threads were closed. He is in the process of learning the difference.

6. So Frank_Zuccarini, Big_Ed, kilgor and Lightmax, if you read my post #3 again, you will see that I actually agree with you on the important issue here – this question WAS worthy of an answer and follow-up discussion, and that was precisely why I left it open. Do you see that now?

7. Where I would NOT agree with you is with any implication that a moderator might be getting "miffed", or "bent out of shape" about something like this. Quite apart from that being untrue, it is against CPF rules to make suggestions of that nature in the open forum. If you have any disagreements with any actions taken by moderators, they should be dealt with by PM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.