any one use their Zebra Q5 as a handheld?

paulr

Flashaholic
Ehh, i do that some of the time. I mean, nothing stops you. The beam is similar to a McLux Mule, just about my favorite flashlight from CPF. The multi-twist switch is annoying for typical handheld use and the right-angle orientation is a little bit weird as well, plus there is the headstrap flopping around (unless you remove it). It's pretty nice as an area lantern that's easily pocketable. As a handheld I'd think of it as a poor man's Mule--useable, but buy a real one if you can.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used it as general EDC. It's the smallest AA light and very pocketable. I never used it as headlamp and never intended to. I removed the headstrap the first thing when I receive it and put a few O rings over it and use small handstrap tied to it.

Alan

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
and not in headlamp mode?...tell me your experiences, please

i EDC it with the glare hood (and two additional homemade plastic glare guards added to it), and the included slip-on body clip added.

very small. i use it clipped to belt or chest/collar area, or just held in the hand.

i wouldn't use it as a headlamp for backpacking, other than in camp as a task/proximity light, as it lacks the throw necessary for spotting trail blazes a sufficient enough distance ahead (except, perhaps, if used on non-demanding trails when used on it's max. o.p. level of 66lumens for the Q5, but then the burntime is too short for longer duration nighttime hiking).

KenAnderson

Enlightened
I use mine almost exclusively as a hand held and love the ability to set it down and be able to direct the ligth toward what I'm working on. I have many high quaility lights to choose from including a McLux Ti-Mule and the Zebra Q5 is still used often. I'm not sure the small plastic cover over the LED is durable so I don't carry it in a pocket with other items, but alone I rides well and provides a unique light.

ken

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried it as an EDC and as KenAnderson said it was great for placing on the table and directing the light. I did find it awkward using it in the hand. I e-mailed Zebralight a while back and asked them if they were going to make a flashlight version of the headlamp. They said that they were planning to make one. Basically it would be an H50 but with the emitter on the end of the light like a regular flashlight. Don't know what the progress on this is though.

spoonrobot

Enlightened
I use mine in either handheld of clipped to my hat mode, never intended it as a headlamp. Handheld is obviously different than a typical light but there isn't any ergonomic problem with using the light this way, it's just a different method to get used to.

A lot of times I will turn the light on and then set it down to serve as stationary illumination of whatever it is I am doing, works great in this way and takes up a tiny amount of room in my EDC for a lot of useful gain. It's a great light.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I just got a zebra light and it is one of the most interesting inovative lights ive ever seen. I love it, its very bright for close area lighting. Even the low setting that lasts 3 days is pretty bright for a small room and with rechargeables there is no problems.

Im not going to use it to spot things but as a work light its great. It works great as a handheld or even with the clip as a shirt light.

0dBm

Newly Enlightened
Yes, quite frequently.
It is mostly a torso light vice a headlamp, but it serves well as a handheld.
CIMG0432.jpg