Mod my blast, which 3mm or 5mm LED?

Geoffrey

Newly Enlightened
The bulb burnt out on my Princeton Tec blast, while I did get a replacement bulb I would like to toy around with making it a LED light.

I took the bulb/reflector assembly apart and it looks like a simple break the solder and replace the bulb deal.

However there are many different LED's to choose from.

Can anyone recommend a 3mm or 5mm LED that is bright and will give me the most usable light?

Thanks.

paulr

Flashaholic
You could solder a led in there and use l92 lithium batteries to get some usable light out. Really if you want to do a good led conversion though, you need a boost converter. One approach might be to use one of those minimag upgrade modules. You'd have to cut up the Blast reflector probably.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a cut SMJLED in mine and it transforms the light! Nice smooth beam with a good hotspot and nice spill. It makes for a very functional user.

Everett

Newly Enlightened
I've done a mod on the blast with the nite-ize minimag led upgrade module ($5 at walmart). it worked out really well. remove the PCB from the back of the bulb module and use a dremel to hollow out the plastic until you can fit the nite-ize in it. then all you need to do is solder the nite-ize leads to the PCB in place of the bulb.

Everett

Newly Enlightened
Found my old thread, check it out: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/100468

2.JPG

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
As revolvergeek suggested, the Blast is a great host for the SMJLED.

I posted a thread with that mod some time ago here.

The SMJLED is available here.

Last edited:

Geoffrey

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys.

I think I will go with a 5mm Super MJ LED mod.

I don't know how to word this exactly so bear with me. Are the Super MJ LED reverse polarity protected? Meaning if I put the batteries in backwards will I fry it?

Which lead on the LED is + and which is -?

Thanks.

paulr

Flashaholic
If you look at the epoxy skirt around the led, there will be a flat spot on it, that can be hard to see unless you examine it closely. That is next to the cathode lead. Also, if you haven't trimmed the leads yet, they will usually be unequal in length and the cathode lead is the longer one. The cathode lead goes to the minus side of the battery.

Most leds can tolerate 5V of reverse voltage, so putting two aaa's in backwards shouldn't harm it.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also squeeze a coin cell between the leads to test for polarity.

You shouldn't have to worry about reverse polarity damage as paulr mentioned. I've reversed many times without incident.