Any experience with the Benchmade 690?

shakeylegs

Enlightened
The Benchmade 690 has caught my eye. I know it's been discontinued but I have the opportunity to purchase one. If you have this knife and use it, how do you like it?
Also, any thoughts on the BP coated version?
Thanks

On a tangent, is anyone familiar with the Puma brand? Opinions?

Mike Searson

Newly Enlightened
Pumas are nice for a production knife.

The 690 is one of the best knives BM ever made.

Last edited:

cutlerylover

Banned
The 690 is a classy folder sporting carbon fiber bolsters and I believe the ahndle wood is rosewood..very nice, and the 154CM blade can handle its fair share of cuttign chores...If you cna get a hold of one go for it, its a great usere that looks nice, can't ask for much more!

shakeylegs

Enlightened
I finally found a 690 on ebay. Advertised as near mint, it was cosmetically very good, but the edge was gone. It has just returned from Benchmade's Lifesharp looking like new. Ebay bid of $130 and $10 for lifesharp and shipping.
For a linerlock the action is extremely smooth. It's light in weight, has a slight recurve edge, and looks spectacular with Rosewood/Carbonfiber handle and BC coated blade. Beauty and function.
Im happy.

cutlerylover

Banned
Thats all you can ask for, to buy a knife, like the way it looks, like the way it cuts, and like the price you paid...Sounds like a happy ending! congratulations on the purchase!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
On a tangent, is anyone familiar with the Puma brand? Opinions?

At one time, a great brand. Older Puma knives are highly collectable.

Problems with changing state of the exchange rate drove prices sky high here in America. Current Puma knives do not have the quality / fit & finish that their ancestors once had.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
At one time, a great brand. Older Puma knives are highly collectable.

Problems with changing state of the exchange rate drove prices sky high here in America. Current Puma knives do not have the quality / fit & finish that their ancestors once had.

On a flyer, I picked up a Puma damascus folder. Quality is decent but nothing near even the cheaper benchmades. Also, very heavy for a folder of this size. We'll see how well it holds up over time.

GarageBoy said:
The old BM690 is the prettiest BM I know of. Typical super smooth action and great f&f

I agree. In fact, on the one hand I'm reluctant to edc the 690 just to protect it. But the look and feel are so appealing that I want to carry/hold/use it all the time. I'll probably rotate edc between the 690 and the mini-grip.