The Fenix-Store
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Luce de Notte -- the orginal sales thread

Flashaholic*

Default Luce de Notte -- the orginal sales thread

Luce de Notte (nightlight)

Some time ago, when B@rt was selling his Tritium spheres, I bought a couple, one 11mm and one 18mm. As they sat around collecting dust, I recall seeing a post, by Mirage_Man, I believe, where he had stuck one in a reflector. Bingo! Great idea for a night light, thanks to that post.

So I made a prototype:

Later, B@rt had some more for sale, so I grabbed 10 of them, and made a few for sale, but as word spread, there were demands for stainless steel and Titanium versions. Alas, I gave in, much to my dismay since machining Ti isn't the easiest thing in the world, and even worse, I had never done stainless steel before either--that turned out to be real 'learning experience', since I choose 316 SS, which turned out to be a bear to machine.

And with my recent order for more Tritium spheres, B@rt insisted that I post my photos of the units that I did make and sell, so here they are:

These were the first three that I completed, for EricMack. From L to R: aluminum, brass and Titanium.

And these are group shots of the remaining Luci that I made:

The hemispheric dome is intended to point to the ceiling while the Luce sits on your nightstand; it emits quite a bit less light than the front end, but enough so that you can find it in complete darkness.

I do intend to make more of these, and I have an order in with B@rt for more spheres. These are custom made, by me, on my lathe, so they take time, and besides, I'm fussy, so I like to take my time to get them right. The Titanium version uses a 27mm reflector, all other versions use a 20mm reflector, so they are smaller in size.

Below are the selling prices:

Luce de Notte Prices
    6061 Bare Aluminum -- $150
    Large Bare Aluminum -- $160
    Brass -- $160 with grooves, $170 knurled
    Large Brass -- $170 grooved, $180 knurled
    Stainless Steel -- $195
    Titianium -- $255

Payments: Cash PP to: paycashpal (at) photonfanatic.com, or Credit PP to: fanatic (at) photonfanatic.com. Thanks.

I do not expect the Tritium spheres until February, and then I will make the Luci after that. Estimated realistic delivery dates--March through April.

If you would like one, please post your interest here. I have badgered B@rt enough to ensure that I can make 16 of these. The color of the Tritium will be either green or blue.

If you have your own Tritium sphere, you may order a Luce of your choice and deduct $40 from the prices shown above. You will have to mail me your sphere, since the H3 sphere is epoxied to the reflector with optical adhesive.

Indications of Interest--Limited to 16 Pieces
    1) luminata -- Large AL
    2) Finbar -- AL, two-tone
    3) moeman -- AL
    4) karlthev -- Ti
    5) ouchmyfinger -- SS
    6) Kiessling -- SS, customized
    7) Olaf_S -- Large AL, two-tone, flat-top
    8) XFlash -- AL
    9) Nebula -- SS or Ti
    10) donn -- Brass, knurled
    11) paulr -- Brass, grooved
    12) jch79 -- Ti
    13) JohnnyDeep -- Ti
    14) gjg -- Large AL, two-tone, flat-top
    15) Hodsta -- AL, two-tone
    16) olrac -- AL, flat-top
    Last edited by PhotonFanatic; 10-01-2008 at 07:37 PM.
    PhotonFanatic—fanatic@photonfanatic.com
    CPF Custom Builders and Modders
    My Blog

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Luce de Notte

for the Stainless Steel one I received.The green one is mine and if I come up with more funds I think I just might buy another.Great job on the machine work.Nothing but perfect
    Last edited by PhotonFanatic; 05-04-2008 at 08:43 PM.
    FF call is lumenator

Looks good Fred!
    Carrying a firearm for self-defense gives you great power. Society expects great responsibility from those with great power.

Flashaholic*

Beamshots? lol

I would be interested. Is the dome removable?

Nana Re: Luce de Notte

Orange peel reflectors? Schweet!

(1) Al fer me.

Fin
    Wanted: Any of Ku's creations. Please PM

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by luminata View Post
    I would be interested. Is the dome removable?
    Well, the dome is threaded to the body, so it is removable, but then you'd need something else to replace it.

Why do you want to remove it, if I may ask?
    My Blog

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Finbar View Post
    Orange peel reflectors? Schweet!

(1) Al fer me.

Fin
    Fin,

The reflector is usually a smooth IMS reflector, or Khatod, but I can put in a stippled Khatod reflector, or I can install a McR, instead. However, the McR reflectors are more expensive, so add $10 for one of those.

Given the low output level, I think the smooth reflector is the better choice, but a lot of people ordered the McR reflectors.
    My Blog

Hi Fred. Just going from the pics it looks like the ones on their sides dont have the dome. And based on what you said the dome significantly diffuses the light output? so I was thinking if you wanted a bit more light to come out you could remove the dome? I may be completely off on this so please tell me how it works But now I am confused. You can get them setup with a reflector also? would we get both a Dome and a glass reflector setup? I would probably go for a reflector type setup if this is true

didnt say but Bare Al. would be my interest to keep cost down.

those are freaking neat!
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

actualy on like that first prototype you show in the first pic would be perfect!!!

They are beautiful. What about more in brass?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by luminata View Post
    Hi Fred. Just going from the pics it looks like the ones on their sides dont have the dome. And based on what you said the dome significantly diffuses the light output? so I was thinking if you wanted a bit more light to come out you could remove the dome? I may be completely off on this so please tell me how it works But now I am confused. You can get them setup with a reflector also? would we get both a Dome and a glass reflector setup? I would probably go for a reflector type setup if this is true

didnt say but Bare Al. would be my interest to keep cost down.
    The business end of the Luce has a lens, you can see the reflector behind it in the first picture. At the tail end of the Luce, the polycarbonate hemisphere, which is finely sanded and produces a matte finish, allows some light from the Tritium sphere to show through there also.

When I install the Tritium sphere in the reflector, I have bored open the end that usually is next to the LED, so that some light from the sphere can hit the polycarbonate dome. The light output through the dome is very subdued, but quite noticeable once your eyes are adjusted.

You can see the threads, which holds the hemisphere in place, here:

Last edited by PhotonFanatic; 01-11-2008 at 09:59 PM.
    My Blog

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    They are beautiful. What about more in brass?
    Could be done, either grooved or knurled, but the knurled version would be slightly more.

OK, I added the brass prices to the first post.
    Last edited by PhotonFanatic; 01-11-2008 at 10:06 PM.
    My Blog

I am interested in a green/Khatod 6061 Bare Aluminum version-- $150

If i follow you, you have a reflector with a lens on one end and the ball on the other. right?
    So its like a find me, then use me?
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by moeman View Post

If i follow you, you have a reflector with a lens on one end and the ball on the other. right?
    U hit the nail right on the head with that answer .I love mine,its been by my bedside ever since I got it.
    FF call is lumenator

Very nice!!!!
    -"Must control self"-

Fred, I'm confused (really?) about the flat lens on the far right in the picture--???? Whatever, I had wanted to get in on the first run of these but was distracted too long. I'm "in" for one now though! Probably Titanium, which reflector I dunno but, by the time you have a better idea of what you are getting, I'll know what I would like as well. So, again, put me down for one!

Karl

Flashaholic

These are stunning. I am in for one in stainless steel. Not that picky about tritium color. This'll be my first flashlight related purchase in over a year

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by moeman View Post

moeman,

That's right. I also find that even if I forget to take the Luce with me to the bathroom at night, that it still helps me negotiate the darkness to get me back to the right spot, without bumping into anything.
    My Blog

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by karlthev View Post
    Fred, I'm confused (really?) about the flat lens on the far right in the picture--???? Whatever, I had wanted to get in on the first run of these but was distracted too long. I'm "in" for one now though! Probably Titanium, which reflector I dunno but, by the time you have a better idea of what you are getting, I'll know what I would like as well. So, again, put me down for one!

Karl
    Karl,

The flat top tailcap was done at the request of a customer. He wanted to be able to point the Luce at the ceiling and get the brighter output flooding the ceiling. You can get either version, of course.
    My Blog

Interested in SS version
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

And what about a version with only one side emitting light? Meaning all the light goes into the acrylic hemisphere (still usingf a reflector for maximum light extraction) and the back is metal ... maybe with a lanyard hole that still allow for tailstanding?
    bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Kiessling View Post
    And what about a version with only one side emitting light? Meaning all the light goes into the acrylic hemisphere (still usingf a reflector for maximum light extraction) and the back is metal ... maybe with a lanyard hole that still allow for tailstanding?
    bernie
    Bernie,

If that's what you want--that's what you may have.

And then I suppose that you'll ask if it could be made E-can compatible and long enough to hold a CR123 battery, so that you could swap out the Tritium and screw on a separate head, too.
    My Blog

Cool ! Thanx !!

Nah, no E-can and CR123 thingies this time ... just a night beacon as small , bright and cool as possible.

Thanx again!

bernie
    - paulr

Flashaholic

Hi Fred,

if it is possible:

one in AL blasted/polished but same size than the "big" one (the ti one) and with flat tailcap please

Thanks
    Olaf

I get ya Fred!! I definitley want in on this as stated before. Can I let you know if I want flat or domed a little later after I think about it? And like Olaf mentioned bigger like the Ti version except in aluminum cause as we all know size does matter.
    Last edited by luminata; 01-12-2008 at 08:57 AM.

Ooo Re: Luce de Notte

heck yes I'm interested...I don't have that kinda money for an SS/Ti but aluminums looks to be within the budget [hopefully next month]

no price differences between green and blue trits?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf_S View Post
    Hi Fred,

if it is possible:

one in AL blasted/polished but same size than the "big" one (the ti one) and with flat tailcap please

Thanks
    Olaf
    Olaf,

Sure that seems possible--might be a few dollars more though.

BTW, the two-tone look is not the result of bead blasting--it is the result of sanding the raised portion of the body with a progression of finer and finer sanding papers--down to 8 microns. It will scuff if it comes in contact with anything metal; however, I can include some of the sanding paper for touch-ups.
    My Blog

Flashaholic*

Fred, I am in for one. Can't decided between SS and Ti, but will do so before you get your supply from B@rt. Dark blue, or medium blue for the Trit please. Kirk
    "If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone, somewhere is making a penny." ~ Steven Wright.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast