• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Luce de Notte -- the orginal sales thread

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luce de Notte (nightlight)

Some time ago, when B@rt was selling his Tritium spheres, I bought a couple, one 11mm and one 18mm. As they sat around collecting dust, I recall seeing a post, by Mirage_Man, I believe, where he had stuck one in a reflector. Bingo! Great idea for a night light, thanks to that post.

So I made a prototype:

Later, B@rt had some more for sale, so I grabbed 10 of them, and made a few for sale, but as word spread, there were demands for stainless steel and Titanium versions. Alas, I gave in, much to my dismay since machining Ti isn't the easiest thing in the world, and even worse, I had never done stainless steel before either--that turned out to be real 'learning experience', since I choose 316 SS, which turned out to be a bear to machine.

And with my recent order for more Tritium spheres, B@rt insisted that I post my photos of the units that I did make and sell, so here they are:

LuceThreeUp-b.jpg

These were the first three that I completed, for EricMack. From L to R: aluminum, brass and Titanium.

And these are group shots of the remaining Luci that I made:

LuciSecondFour.jpg

LuciFirstFour.jpg

LuciWithGreen.jpg

The hemispheric dome is intended to point to the ceiling while the Luce sits on your nightstand; it emits quite a bit less light than the front end, but enough so that you can find it in complete darkness.

I do intend to make more of these, and I have an order in with B@rt for more spheres. These are custom made, by me, on my lathe, so they take time, and besides, I'm fussy, so I like to take my time to get them right. The Titanium version uses a 27mm reflector, all other versions use a 20mm reflector, so they are smaller in size.

Below are the selling prices:

Luce de Notte Prices
6061 Bare Aluminum -- $150
Large Bare Aluminum -- $160
Brass -- $160 with grooves, $170 knurled
Large Brass -- $170 grooved, $180 knurled
Stainless Steel -- $195
Titianium -- $255

Payments: Cash PP to: paycashpal (at) photonfanatic.com, or Credit PP to: fanatic (at) photonfanatic.com. Thanks.

I do not expect the Tritium spheres until February, and then I will make the Luci after that. Estimated realistic delivery dates--March through April.

If you would like one, please post your interest here. I have badgered B@rt enough to ensure that I can make 16 of these. The color of the Tritium will be either green or blue.

If you have your own Tritium sphere, you may order a Luce of your choice and deduct $40 from the prices shown above. You will have to mail me your sphere, since the H3 sphere is epoxied to the reflector with optical adhesive.

Indications of Interest--Limited to 16 Pieces
1) luminata -- Large AL
2) Finbar -- AL, two-tone
3) moeman -- AL
4) karlthev -- Ti
5) ouchmyfinger -- SS
6) Kiessling -- SS, customized
7) Olaf_S -- Large AL, two-tone, flat-top
8) XFlash -- AL
9) Nebula -- SS or Ti
10) donn -- Brass, knurled
11) paulr -- Brass, grooved
12) jch79 -- Ti
13) JohnnyDeep -- Ti
14) gjg -- Large AL, two-tone, flat-top
15) Hodsta -- AL, two-tone
16) olrac -- AL, flat-top

Last edited:

white light

Enlightened
Re: Luce de Notte

:twothumbs for the Stainless Steel one I received.The green one is mine and if I come up with more funds I think I just might buy another.Great job on the machine work.Nothing but perfect:thumbsup::goodjob:

Last edited by a moderator:

Finbar

Newly Enlightened

Orange peel reflectors? Schweet!

:thumbsup:

(1) Al fer me.

Fin

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Orange peel reflectors? Schweet!

:thumbsup:

(1) Al fer me.

Fin

Fin,

The reflector is usually a smooth IMS reflector, or Khatod, but I can put in a stippled Khatod reflector, or I can install a McR, instead. However, the McR reflectors are more expensive, so add $10 for one of those.

Given the low output level, I think the smooth reflector is the better choice, but a lot of people ordered the McR reflectors.

luminata

Enlightened

Hi Fred. Just going from the pics it looks like the ones on their sides dont have the dome. And based on what you said the dome significantly diffuses the light output? so I was thinking if you wanted a bit more light to come out you could remove the dome? I may be completely off on this so please tell me how it works:shrug: But now I am confused. You can get them setup with a reflector also? would we get both a Dome and a glass reflector setup? I would probably go for a reflector type setup if this is true

didnt say but Bare Al. would be my interest to keep cost down.

luminata

Enlightened

actualy on like that first prototype you show in the first pic would be perfect!!!

paulr

Flashaholic

They are beautiful. What about more in brass?

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Fred. Just going from the pics it looks like the ones on their sides dont have the dome. And based on what you said the dome significantly diffuses the light output? so I was thinking if you wanted a bit more light to come out you could remove the dome? I may be completely off on this so please tell me how it works:shrug: But now I am confused. You can get them setup with a reflector also? would we get both a Dome and a glass reflector setup? I would probably go for a reflector type setup if this is true

didnt say but Bare Al. would be my interest to keep cost down.

The business end of the Luce has a lens, you can see the reflector behind it in the first picture. At the tail end of the Luce, the polycarbonate hemisphere, which is finely sanded and produces a matte finish, allows some light from the Tritium sphere to show through there also.

When I install the Tritium sphere in the reflector, I have bored open the end that usually is next to the LED, so that some light from the sphere can hit the polycarbonate dome. The light output through the dome is very subdued, but quite noticeable once your eyes are adjusted.

You can see the threads, which holds the hemisphere in place, here:

PolishedSSLuce1.jpg

Last edited:

moeman

Enlightened

I am interested in a green/Khatod 6061 Bare Aluminum version-- $150

If i follow you, you have a reflector with a lens on one end and the ball on the other. right?
So its like a find me, then use me?

white light

Enlightened

If i follow you, you have a reflector with a lens on one end and the ball on the other. right?

U hit the nail right on the head with that answer :thumbsup:.I love mine,its been by my bedside ever since I got it.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fred, I'm confused (really?) :thinking: about the flat lens on the far right in the picture--???? Whatever, I had wanted to get in on the first run of these but was distracted too long. I'm "in" for one now though! Probably Titanium, which reflector I dunno but, by the time you have a better idea of what you are getting, I'll know what I would like as well. So, again, put me down for one!:twothumbs

Karl

ouchmyfinger

Enlightened

These are stunning. I am in for one in stainless steel. Not that picky about tritium color. This'll be my first flashlight related purchase in over a year :)

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

moeman,

That's right. I also find that even if I forget to take the Luce with me to the bathroom at night, that it still helps me negotiate the darkness to get me back to the right spot, without bumping into anything. :D