Hinderer XM-18 production version?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Somehow the XM-18 does to me what the Arc LS - it fires up the pleasure centers in my brain and makes me want one (or 2 or 3). I almost want to get one of each color. :crazy: However, I'm not that much of knifenut to dish out what these puppies are going for.

So, is there a production version available somewhere? Coming soon... ever?

:popcorn:

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not that I have heard of. I'd love to see one too. Even if you are willing to pay the cash they are going for, you have to be in the right place a thte right time just to get one. Its worse than a McGizmo wave in that respect...

schiesz

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you look at the Hinderer forum on the USN he's now offering a fixed blade version of the XM-18, the Flashpoint. It is a stunning knife, and about $185! I now want a Flashpoint and a 3" XM-18. To think I let my Firetac Extreme go... sigh.

greenstuffs

Banned
Any of the Rick's creation worth's the price this IMO are hard to come by if you want something similar and don't have the patience i think strider knives are a great alternative but after Mickey Burger's stunt the strider's hype has turned off for me.

If you look at the Hinderer forum on the USN he's now offering a fixed blade version of the XM-18, the Flashpoint. It is a stunning knife, and about $185! I now want a Flashpoint and a 3" XM-18. To think I let my Firetac Extreme go... sigh.

greenLED

Flashaholic
:thanks: Chronos!

greenstuffs - yeah, I've been eyeing the XM-18 for a while and it seems like people must be reloading the sales pages every 30 seconds 24/7 to get one.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
Any of the Rick's creation worth's the price this IMO are hard to come by if you want something similar and don't have the patience i think strider knives are a great alternative but after Mickey Burger's stunt the strider's hype has turned off for me.

And what might Mick's stunt been? do tell, we're just dying to know...
this thread had nothing to do with Strider.

some of the newer gerbers have a little Hinderer DNA in them...

greenLED

Flashaholic
Thanks mossy; off to Google!

Yummy, that Gerber Torch ain't bad looking... not to hoot on the Firestorm.

Last edited:

greenstuffs

Banned
Strider's knives are very similar in a way to the XM-18 they kind of feel similar both made with same materials and Strider uses the pivot system developed by rick.

And what might Mick's stunt been? do tell, we're just dying to know...
this thread had nothing to do with Strider.

some of the newer gerbers have a little Hinderer DNA in them...

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Comparisons are probably almost to be expected. Strider uses the Hinderer lockback system to keep the titanium framelock from being overextended.

I think the Hinderer is more comfortable. Here's a shot of an SnG and XM-18, both very comparable knives. The XM-18 is more curved and seems more "ergonomic."

The SnG's G10 includes and integrated backspacer. The XM-18 is open, but uses a thin titanium full length and width scale that the G10 covers.

I'm not familiar with the Gerbers- I've heard of them, but have been disappointed in their quality for years. I've got an old Gerber Loveless tactical knife hiding in a box somewhere- I've got to find it.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Rub it in, would you? :laughing:

Yeah, I haven't heard glowing reviews on the Gerbers either, but that Torch knife reminds me of the XM-18, and I can't ignore the price. :)

Last edited:

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
The latest XM-18s are Duratech 20cv (mine is a Duratech blade).

I believe earlier ones were CPM S30V.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd never seen that Torch model until now, and it is definately a XM18 reproduction. All the design points are there, from what I can see in a few pictures.

I don't have much personally against gerber blades, I have a LST that has been with me longer than any other knife (mainly because it has orange handles), and I found a EZ Out while camping that I cleaned up, sharpened and gave to a friend.

I may need to get one of these Torch knives just to keep me from drooling over other peoples Hinderer's for a while.

It is pretty conceivable that this is a licensed model, although I have no idea if it is. Gerber makes a Hinderer designed rescue knife that appears very well made and has a good review on equipped.org.

Walmart says it was Hinderer designed: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...ct_id=7811349&sourceid=1500000000000003260410

Can't find that claim anywhere else yet. Nice looking knife.

schiesz

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'd never seen that Torch model until now, and it is definately a XM18 reproduction. All the design points are there, from what I can see in a few pictures.
I may need to get one of these Torch knives just to keep me from drooling over other peoples Hinderer's for a while.

It is pretty conceivable that this is a licensed model, although I have no idea if it is. Gerber makes a Hinderer designed rescue knife that appears very well made and has a good review on equipped.org.

Walmart says it was Hinderer designed: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...ct_id=7811349&sourceid=1500000000000003260410

Can't find that claim anywhere else yet. Nice looking knife.

Yup-yup! :)

Here's another reference to it being a Hinderer design.

cat

Enlightened
GreenLED, have you had a good look at the ZT 030x knives? Very good value. It compares pretty well with the XM-18. Very good prices and sevice at skdtac.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are plenty of good knives once you get to that price range, and its not much like a XM-18 when you come right down to it. Zero Tolerance is a Kershaw/Strider collaboration, IIRC.

schiesz

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
schiesz, I believe you are correct.

Another option are the Buck/Strider 889 (SBMF) knives. I know I've seen them on eBay for $50-100 depending upon the model. Lots of Strider DNA there :)