Wanting to convert a SL Scorpion to LED

watchdog2001

Newly Enlightened
I have a old Steamlight Scorpion that I would like to convert to LED. I know that Streamlight came out with a Scorpion LED but I'm not looking to swap the current head for an LED head. I'm not looking for "super high" output but more reliability and longer run time.

Is there a drop-in upgrade or have one of you successfully swapped out the Xenon bulb for an LED? If so, what did it take?

John

Illum

Flashaholic
thats a good question, and others like you [me included] have raised the same question..and so far there has been no responses
for one thing so far no one has managed to disassembly the bezel assembly without either yanking the shock coil loose or breaking the polycarbonate window

the only available mod is to replace the scorpion lamp with that of a strion and use either 17670s if it fits or buy a 18650 body for it.

I think for too long we've been spoiled by surefires G2/6P that has a ability to be retrofited into LED.:shakehead

horizonseeker

Enlightened
i have a spare scorpion head that had a melted window, so I popped the window off and took it apart. you are looking at not a lot of real estate in there, the aluminum reflector/heatsink is wedged in there quite tight, took a good whacking with a hammer and a dowel to get it out of the head.

I'm still trying to see if i can somehow fit a D26 assembly in there without the reflector since I have a few left over from experimenting with upgrading my huntlights. I might need to open the hole bigger with a reamer or something like it.

just need more time to get to it.

david.

Spypro

Enlightened
I have a dead LED Scorpion that I killed with RCR... well... now I want to mod it with a new emitter and new board because they are both fried.
So I wonder which emitter and board to use. I plan to use RCR123 in it.
Thanks!

Last edited: