Canon Point and Shoot Cameras Hacked "CHDK"...

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ran across some interesting information regarding Canon PowerShot Point and Shoot Cameras (not the DSLR types, but the pocket sized auto and auto/manual types). People have figured out how to load custom software into the cameras and expand their operating parameters.

The Project is called "CHDK", is open source, and worked by folks around the world. Some of the basic functions include:

• Save images in RAW format
  • Ability to run "Scripts" to automate the camera
  • Live histogram (RGB, blended, luminance and for each RGB channel)
  • Zebra mode (blinking highlights and shadows to show over/under exposed areas)
  • An "always on" full range Battery indicator
  • Ability to turn off automatic dark-frame subtraction
  • a higher compression movie mode, and double the maximum video file size
  • exposure times as long as 65 seconds
  • exposure times as little as 1/64,000 of a second
  • ability to use the USB port for a remote trigger input
There are several different builds that include other functions (like motion detection triggers, bracketing on multiple parameters--Time, Aperture, ISO, etc.). The cool thing too is that these cameras are only $150-$600 list price and are very popular lines (A5xx, A6xx, A7xx, S2, S3, G7). They are also working on newer models (G9, A720IS, etc.--new OS but very similar code).

My camera is not currently supported, but it appears to be a very safe and easy. Just drop the code (and script files) on a data card, and it is loaded into RAM on boot (does not save itself over existing code in flash memory).

-Bill

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great, more stufff to try to figure out! Thanks a lot.

edit-
I spent the last three hours learning how to implement these features in my camera. It has some cool features that I wanted. Thanks again.

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I applied a CHDK hack to my Rebel 300D as Canon intentionally severely crippled the firmware. I got some basic features back such as flash exposure compensation.

Brock

Flashaholic
Dang I have the SD 600 and I see some features I really wanted.

I used to set our old camera to take a 30 second shot over and over until the camera was full. I did this during lightening storms to catch the lightening, I haven't been able to do it for a long time and miss it.

I also like the idea of a higher compression movie mode as well as an always on battery meter.

Gaffle

Enlightened
The battery meter is a fantastic addition alone.

Kind of crazy that you have to do a little hack to get a battery meter. What use is a battery icon that flashes when you have 10 minutes of juice left while you are out in the woods away from a charger?

DM51

Flashaholic
Aaaarrrgh no - lol they are quite complicated enough already without even more features!

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! Totally, completely cool! RAW... RAW!

I was wrestling with my wife's old S400 this morning, so too bad it's too old to be on the list. I got myself a point & shoot from another brand only because Canon dropped the ball with RAW on their P&S line at the time. CHDK changes the whole equation for the future purchasing plans. (The S400 is nearly at end of life.) Why the companies cripple their P&S's is beyond me.

Makes me wonder if I should go fishing for a used G7. (Pinky to corner of mouth... "Hmmmmm.")

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, CHDK seems to be pretty cool... I am waiting for (I hope) the Canon A720IS port. Folks are working on the new OS ("DryOS" Canon's in-house OS?). Unfortunately, the Board supporting these discussions crashed yesterday--so I can't point you to the ongoing discussions about the porting work...

The board where I found out about CHDK, www.dpreview.com (and specifically, Canon discussion forum) has some talk that Canon (and others) are trying to protect their highly profitable DSLR camera lines by constantly crippling their "point and shoot" lines.

It appears that the old focal plane shutter, moving mirror, digital SLR cameras should be nearing the end of the line as the new non-SLR cameras are able to do 99% of what a DSLR can do, plus things a DSLR can never do (like video and high speed photography).

-Bill

Last edited:

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got it and installed it on my A620! Works great, small learning curve. Gives lots of great features. Thanks for the link!

Now, has anyone tried Rockbox for their MP3 players?.... :devil:

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet! Thanks for posting this. The reasons why I purchased my A560 were (1) it takes AA cells, which I have a tone of; and (2) it's more expendable than a cell phone. Can't wait to apply some firmware hacks!!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok do ya all recomend this hack?to me id think canon could make better firm ware with all there techs how can these guys from that site make better firmware then canon

greenLED

Flashaholic
I applied a CHDK hack to my Rebel 300D as Canon intentionally severely crippled the firmware. I got some basic features back such as flash exposure compensation.
Wait, isn't that the same as the Rebel? Which version of the hack did you use? Would it work on the Rebel XT?
:popcorn:

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been messing with the high speed shutter options.

Water drops in sink

(dirty) SSC running at about an amp