Olight

Thread: E2E and AW 17670s

Flashaholic*

Default E2E and AW 17670s

Hi everyone, I got my AW 17670s today, and they don't fit in my E2E. They will go almost all the way down the tube, but there is a small ridge inside the tube that stops them flush with the top of the tube. I tried removing the sticker, but that was not the problem. The RCR123s fit in there just fine. I guess I will have to file the inside of the light a little to take away the ridge. Any other suggestions before I file it down?

Flashaholic*

Default Re: E2E and AW 17670s

Has anyone had the same problem?

the E series body seem to have the issue [the inner radius near the tailcap is less than the radius near the bezel]

some have claimed success by taking a file to the inner body cavity near the TC while others sufficed to using 17500s [shorter than 17670s by 17mm] in their bodies.

My old L4 body couldn't take a 17670 so I used a E2D body

Flashaholic* light_emitting_dude's Avatar

I had the same problem with my L4. I used my dremel tool to bore it out and now it fits fine.
    Semper Fi

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by light_emitting_dude View Post
    I had the same problem with my L4. I used my dremel tool to bore it out and now it fits fine.
    +1, I just used a round file to get rid of the lip and 17670's fit fine now

I have an E2L and they won't fit. I picked up an older E2E and they fit fine. I get to play a little Lego between the two.
    Too many lights! Stop me!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by da.gee View Post
    I have an E2L and they won't fit. I picked up an older E2E and they fit fine. I get to play a little Lego between the two.
    I didn't really know how long mine had been at Bass Pro before I got it, but I guess I got a newer one. At least there is a good side to the story...

Quote Originally Posted by jugg2 View Post
    I got my AW 17670s today, and they don't fit in my E2E. ?
    You may have battery with slightly thicker shrink tube or shrinked unevenly.
    I have dozens of AW's protected 17670 and all fit in E2e

Quote Originally Posted by Illum_the_nation View Post
    ... the inner radius near the tailcap is less than the radius near the bezel
    This was also my experience with some E2D bodies.
    So, I put them in my lathe and now they fit perfectly.

From what I've read here some E2Es will fit them and some will not. Often it is the small variations in batteries that also determine your luck. Combine the two and well you just don't know.
    Too many lights! Stop me!

Flashaholic*

My M600A takes the older blue AW cells, but the newer style are too tight.
    List of lights removed to allow the search engine to work

Flashaholic*

Well I had 2 hours to kill, so I used an old drum stick I had and some 800 grit sand paper. I finished it off with 2000 grit. Now it looks like it came from the factory that way, and the 17670s fit in there perfectly!

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    This was also my experience with some E2D bodies.
    So, I put them in my lathe and now they fit perfectly.

I wonder if Surefire's CNC machines need to be calibrated for tolerances
    I'm not a machinist myself but during a drill/boring process with the same bit I don't see how one side could be wider than the other unless the thing isn't straight to begin with

Just a thought, i don't have any experience with rechargables... but could surefire be doing this on purpose? To stop people from using rechargables? I know that they frown upon them being used in the lights to begin with... just a thought lol.

Steven

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpionboy View Post
    Just a thought, i don't have any experience with rechargables... but could surefire be doing this on purpose? To stop people from using rechargables? I know that they frown upon them being used in the lights to begin with... just a thought lol.

Steven
    That is very possible, but at least I was able to fix SureFire's "mistake" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpionboy View Post

Steven
    I heard this too...but then again I heard of the U2s development days where the testing was built upon the use of 18650s instead of cr123As. and a hidden trick was to insert a plastic tube from the bezel end into the body, and snug up the bezel/body region. from the tailcap its cr123As only, but knowing this allowed a few members to use 18650s in their U2s....then the new U2s no longer have this tube so yeah.

Today Surefire not only prevents users from using rechargeables [unless its their own, see B90 ni-cd], they also state very explicitly that the use of cells other than primary lithium for their cr123A lights will void the warranty.
    does this enhance their sale of cr123as? I dunno, but sure didn't discourage any of us from use it in our lights

Flashaholic*

Does anyone know whether this problem also exists with the C2? I was thinking about getting a 17670 for it.
    I spend my days in the light thinking about flashlights in the dark

Seem to be hit or miss but 17670's fit fine in my newer C2.

Mike

if it doesn't fit...hey 6P, C2, and M2s have a heck of alot more material to prevent boring through than that of E series bodies

How much material removal are we talking about for the E2E's that cannot take 17650 cell? Is it under 1mm?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by rtt View Post
    How much material removal are we talking about for the E2E's that cannot take 17650 cell? Is it under 1mm?
    I can't tell for sure, but I wouldn't think it was anymore than 1mm.

Quote Originally Posted by jugg2 View Post
    Well I had 2 hours to kill, so I used an old drum stick I had and some 800 grit sand paper. I finished it off with 2000 grit. Now it looks like it came from the factory that way, and the 17670s fit in there perfectly!
    You can do the same thing in about 10 minutes if you chuck a piece of wood dowel wrapped in sandpaper on a Dremel mandrel.

The only reason a great many American families donít own an elephant is that they have never been offered an elephant for a dollar down and easy monthly payments.

Flashaholic*

Yeah, but I don't have a dremel tool, so I had to do it the old fashioned way lol.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I need some current info. Will the current AW 17650 fit in the current E2E? I'm trying to get a couple of friends into purchasing an E2E, and want to get them setup with rechargeables if they fit, any additional info would be great. TIA

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by SixM View Post
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but I need some current info. Will the current AW 17650 fit in the current E2E? I'm trying to get a couple of friends into purchasing an E2E, and want to get them setup with rechargeables if they fit, any additional info would be great. TIA

Not in the new E2E's. You can easily look from the bezel end of the body and see the slightly raised lip which will prevent the 17670 to fit. Most of the old stock E2E's will accommodate the AW 17670 just fine. For some reason Surefire got wise to the single cell li-ion being used and started to leave a lip, most likely to sell more primaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Darien View Post
    Not in the new E2E's. You can easily look from the bezel end of the body and see the slightly raised lip which will prevent the 17670 to fit. Most of the old stock E2E's will accommodate the AW 17670 just fine. For some reason Surefire got wise to the single cell li-ion being used and started to leave a lip, most likely to sell more primaries.
    No, it was actually to prevent people from using li-ions and getting them to vent (in the old days that was common). They didn't want the liability on their shoulders.

OK, thanks guys.

It can be filed (and broaden) easily in a couple of minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by da.gee View Post
    I have quite a few E series bodies and find that the older models fit the AW 17670 cell. All of my newer bodies do not.